Sign in to follow this  
JennyJane1

words fail me

We all have 20/20 vision in hindsight and I do have a certain sympathy for the Agencies who are often cited as the bad guy if they are either too enthusiastic when removoing children or too lax about preventing harm.

Ultimately it is the responsibility of BOTH parents to ensure children have their care and needs put first. We are fairly close to where  Mikaeel Kular was found and at the moment there are a lot of unanswered questions about how and when he was killed.

Unfortunately no evidence put before a Court or Enquiry will bring any of these wee ones back. It is so very, very sad

• Like 1

The law for the protection of children and young persons is already there under various C & YP acts. The problems are in its implementation and where to place the yardsticks for taking action.

In this day and age there are clearly many children who are suffering from neglect in some form or other from what could be best described as 'inadequate' parents but the authorities take the view that wherever possible, unless you happen to be a visiting pregnant Italian woman who sustained a mental illness who had her child taken away at birth, or perhaps an unfortunate parent in the Shetlands victim of that care travesty a few years ago,that children are best left with their parents.

So it appears evident that at times there are over reactions, whilst at others there are under reactions.

In recent times there have been many cases which have shown that this is a policy fraught with some danger.

Unfortunately there is no sure way of measuring the love, care and attention that a child gets which would enable the authorities to reach their decisions. All the circumstances are different, so to make a decision is likely to be difficult at times.

The only thing I can offer her is that each case must be examined objectively and in situations where the child/children are showing signs of physical or mental of neglect or abuse, or that they are falling into moral danger then an application for a care order or the child/children made wards of court must be taken.

The problem here is that the social services who administer this job is not a popular career choice for most people and a number who do this job appear to fairly young and though academically well qualified lacking sometimes in experience of life which is a vital component for such a job as this. Not only that those who still remain are so often overworked by heavy workloads that they miss important points.

We will never get the system absolutely perfect but I am sure there is room for improvement along the lines mentioned above. In short, for the sake of the children, who are ultimately the future of this country, we need to invest more money, application and sensible knowledge in order to get the necessary improvements.

Edited by mike Meehan
  • Like 1

I was wondering if they give lessons at school these days in care of children.They didn't at the school I attended but my sister had them at a different school and they covered subjects such as nutrition, first aid, that sor of thing.

Its to do with the breaking of the traditional family unit, no longer any aunts or grandmothers to deal with it, and they don't know their neighbours anymore.All very sad.

What disturbs me is this woman in Lowestoft who murdered her kids was having another one. Words fail me as well. Still, I suppose it meant more money for fags and booze and satellite TV while the poor children went to bed on biscuits. Absolutely horrific.