Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 21/01/14

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

evening all, several trees down on my way to St Albans to get some papa johns...police have closed the road......

Yeh quite bad out there lloydyd, Wife called she is a carer on call,She said its really bad,Trees down,Fences and roads blocked etc. Not good at all.

The chance of snow is now only 7 days away for me on 10 day. The closest it has been all winter is 9 days away!

It will be 4 days tomorrow Posted Image

Posted

Not evben a crack of thunder here how dissapointing

Im just down the road from you Meso and the thunder was very muffled but I saw 6 or 7 very bright flashes of pink lightning here just after the rain passed through.

The main rain feature only lasted about 5 minutes or so here but coupled with the wind it was the closest thing to a derecho I have ever seen in the UK.

I was all geared up to video it, camera charged etc but as soon as I opened my front door I felt the full blast and it was all I could do to close the door again. The rain was so intense that visibility was more akin to fog. Quite incredible.

• Like 1

Posted

Came straight onto this thread after returning from my parents in the west country to find out if there have been any tornado reports; looks like there have been. Around 4pm, I couldn't work out if it was an incredibly strong squall or possibly tornado-type conditions whipping around my parents house in Radstock as my father tied down the gazebo roof (75 and recovering from his most recent hospitalised flare-up of lung problems, yet didn't want any help!) and things rattled all over the place. No snapped trees but it was a close run thing for some of them, and the lights flickered a couple of times. Generally it was calm and just somewhat windy as we crossed Salisbury Plain for the journey home, with one lightning flash in the distance; a few puddles remain in Surbiton. Anyway, I knew if there was anything to know, you chaps/esses would know it... and you did:)

Edit: just saw that Artdemole posted in the south west thread a tweet from Ian F describing this afternoon's events as a 'Frontogenetic Front'; Mullender, just down the road from my parents, lost power for several hours, so we were lucky to get just the lights flicker.

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Wrt model runs, nothing has changed recently IMHO (last few days). FI is still loaded with potential for snow. I'd be very surprised if none of us saw snow before the end of winter - lots of high pressure predicted to our north and east, very favourable. :)

I also have a mate, who's booked a cheap caravan holiday weekend for himself and his girlfriend in Northamptonshire, on the weekend of 8th February. I hope the cheapskate's brass balls fall off! :lol:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

The 'Squall' here was a sudden thing too, went from calm to storm to calm(ish) again, now it is just cold and windy.

Wrt model runs, nothing has changed recently IMHO (last few days). FI is still loaded with potential for snow. I'd be very surprised if none of us saw snow before the end of winter - lots of high pressure predicted to our north and east, very favourable. Posted Image

I also have a mate, who's booked a cheap caravan holiday weekend for himself and his girlfriend in Northamptonshire, on the weekend of 8th February. I hope the cheapskate's brass balls fall off! Posted Image

billing?

Posted

Tomorrows Wind gust potential.

Posted Image

Our regionals up to 55mph

Posted Image

Temps 5 - 7c

Posted Image

Precip forecast for midday is depressing

Edited by Jason T

Posted

I was actually outside when the squall line hit- At the St Albans City match, and boy was it crazy! Probably some of the heaviest rains and strongest winds I have seen for a very long time. Also got to witness lightning strikes in the distance, including some pink lightning, which was rather exciting. 

• Like 3

Posted

Was travelling down the A128 earlier to Brentwood earlier with my 10 yr old son when in the pitch black (parts of it are not well lit) I suddenly encountered a big bushy fallen tree right across my lane. I managed to dodge the worst but the tree scraped along the side of the car and I was really shook up. I phoned the police and on the way back home they were clearing it away.

I was so excited by the storm earlier, but it really shows you how close situations can get with the weather in control :( :(

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Been to Whitstable today and there is still a lot of water lying around everywhere.

On the way home around 4 I was admiring the orangey/pink sky around and thinking about the shepherds delight thingy and what weather we had coming for tomorrow. Just as we were entering Ashford there was the brightest of flashes across the sky, I wasn't sure whether it was lightning or something to do with the trains at the time, but a couple of minutes later huge drops of rain started coming down and I guessed there was a storm around. We stopped off at good old Tesco and there was another big flash and an almost instant shotgun-type thunderclap, this set off a really loud security alarm in Tesco which continued for around 5 minutes. Whilst paying I looked outside and saw another flash and also heard a long crack of thunder. We had a nice run to the car in the pouring rain and started off back home.

There was tree debris scattered all over the roads. In one area looking into a wooded area I noticed that several trees had snapped just under half way up, I was now thinking that the storm we just had must have been pretty severe. Coming back into Tenterden we were flashed by two cars. Up ahead a tree had fallen down blocking the other side of the road. Just as we were going past the tree a small van coming the other way came past at the exact same time and drove straight into it!! The damage was a few large dents and a smashed windscreen, luckily no one was hurt. Another big tree had fallen in Rolvenden and was in the process of being moved out of the way when we went past.

It was certainly an exciting journey! And I'm 90% sure that I saw a funnel cloud on the way home too!
Posted Image 

Edited by <<Ryan>>
  • Like 1

Posted

and  the  BBC weather are saying  the  holy  grail  of  winds  of a easterly is possible midweek  we  will see we all know what happened last  time  it  went!!

was that the great storm of 1987?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

was that the great storm of 1987?

Howling westerly due to explosive cyclogenesis of an Atlantic low, I think.  Not sure which event tinybill is thinking of.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Howling westerly due to explosive cyclogenesis of an Atlantic low, I think.  Not sure which event tinybill is thinking of.

last night with Mabel?

• Like 2

Posted

Max wind gusts this afternoon as squall moved through london and the south east at 5pm today

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

hi all

here we go again

tonight

Posted Image

look like a gusty north west wind

veering south westerly overnight

looks dry

chance of frost but slightly reduced due to wind strength

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sunday and this is messy

Posted Image

winds gusty south westerly

veering back north westerly mid pm

could see gusts 50-60 mph early afternoon to mid afternoon

rainfall

Posted Image

Posted Image

heavy rain moving in around 12 + or -2 hours

temps

Posted Image

warms up to around 8 degrees when the rain arrives

however later

Posted Image

when it gets dark temps will drop quickly

expect a chance of seeing wintry bits late pm in the heavier bursts

Posted Image

i am also thinking some thunder mixed up in this as well

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sunday night

Posted Image

early evening

winds decrease to a gusty but not strong north west to west flow

rain

Posted Image

should clear before midnight all areas

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

v cold and a frost and ice risk could be quite widespread

now there is a trough to our west

watch to see if that is there in future fax runs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

monday

Posted Image

a gusty north west to west flow

rain

Posted Image

arrives around rush hour

then around lunchtime

Posted Image

looks to clear all areas around lunchtime except the far north east

this area may stay misty and foggy most of the day

temps

Posted Image

around 5 degrees

will drop lower when any precipitation happens

there will be some showers on and off all afternoon but should be fast moving and not too heavy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

monday night

Posted Image

a strong south west wind

rain

Posted Image

looks fairly clear here

fog and mist to watch out for

temps

Posted Image

watch for ice and frost where clear

none where cloud and fog occur

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wednesday

Posted Image

a cold and windy north west to west wind

rainfall

Posted Image

showers on and off and gusty when they occur

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

temps around 5-6 degrees

a real mixed bag today

rain hail sleet and poss wet snow in the heavier bursts

maybe a rumble or 2 as well

back later

john

• Like 6

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Just been on facebook and found out my cousins old barn has toatally collapsed and that the roof off of their new barn has blown off!!His dad is a fireman and is currently at a house where the roof and part of the walls have came down. A dangerous storm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

The 'Squall' here was a sudden thing too, went from calm to storm to calm(ish) again, now it is just cold and windy.billing?

Possibly... Would sound about right. :unsure:

Posted

reports of sudden heavy snowfall in NE -NL 20cm plus,.Mini Tornado in SW also + Lightning in Belgium wounds 10 people.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/nl/national/satellite

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/radar/netherlands.html

What we all endured earlier is now creating havoc over there, 20 CM Plus of sudden snow fall.....WOW

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Came straight onto this thread after returning from my parents in the west country to find out if there have been any tornado reports; looks like there have been. Around 4pm, I couldn't work out if it was an incredibly strong squall or possibly tornado-type conditions whipping around my parents house in Radstock as my father tied down the gazebo roof (75 and recovering from his most recent hospitalised flare-up of lung problems, yet didn't want any help!) and things rattled all over the place. No snapped trees but it was a close run thing for some of them, and the lights flickered a couple of times. Generally it was calm and just somewhat windy as we crossed Salisbury Plain for the journey home, with one lightning flash in the distance; a few puddles remain in Surbiton. Anyway, I knew if there was anything to know, you chaps/esses would know it... and you did:)

Edit: just saw that Artdemole posted in the south west thread a tweet from Ian F describing this afternoon's events as a 'Frontogenetic Front'; Mullender, just down the road from my parents, lost power for several hours, so we were lucky to get just the lights flicker.

Hi Reef. I was watching news 24 earlier, and they seemed to be making a big deal of the flooding in the SW. When I saw the report, I could not believe that in Somerset some people still need to travel by boat, due to the horrendous flooding some weeks ago. Good to hear you managed to get there and back safely, and pray that that the flooding doesn't materialise as planned.
  • Like 1

Posted

heres why the models are confusing

fax tonight for tuesday

Posted Image

now this fax for tuesday came out this morning

Posted Image

and this was last nights one

Posted Image

that low is a nightmare at present

take you pick on the above

these will change around 10.30 tonight

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Posted Image

can see where the mess came from earlier

What's the first occlusion, John - I notice it's marked differently to the one to the immediate west of it?

Edited by chrisbell-nottheforecaster