Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 21/01/14

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 08/12/13 Posted by Kentish CZ on 09 December 2013 - 13:46

Quote: "Just got into work after attending Ian Currie's talk on Frosts, Freezes and Fairs, based on his book of the same title. I mentioned in the thread a few days ago, that myself and Tamara were lucky enough to meet him the other evening and had a thoroughly enjoyable discussion with him, all weather related of course.

He's such an interesting guy to listen to and talks with great enthusiasm and passion for his subject. I mentioned to him that it might be an idea to organise one of his presentation talks around a Regional meet-up, perhaps. They are certainly worth going along to for our members, who obviously have more of an interest in Meteorology than the average person in the street. There's plenty of his books on sale, at these talks, in fact I bought the book that the talk was based on and I find all his books a really good read for someone who has more than just a passing interest in all things weather.

I'll be having a chat to him again soon to see if he can give us a few dates in his diary next year, where we could possibly organise something, plus dates of upcoming talks in general".

Morning all,

Just wanted to quote my post of pre-Xmas comments regarding a couple of Regional talks that Tamara and myself are trying to organise with Ian Currie. We met him again on Thursday and have a few locations in mind that hopefully will be convenient for quite a few members to attend. We suggested to Ian that it would be preferable to hold 2 talks, one north of the Thames and one south of the river, to give members the oppurtunity to get to either one, as the region is so large. Locations north of the Thames, probably just north of London, Herts/Essex border say and the southern talk somewhere like Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells f.e. We'd probably be looking at late Spring/early Summer now, as he has talks already arranged for the early part of Spring.

If any members would be interested in coming along to these talks, given the locations and timescale mentioned, could you please P.M. me, to let me know. Obviously Mr.Currie would like to have an idea of numbers involved, once we have an idea then we can be more specific about location and dates of these talks.

Regards,

Tom.

Hi Tomasino

Thanks for the effort you have gone to in trying to organise this despite the continuing lack of interestPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Snow showers forecast for parts of southeast tomorrow night- nothing looking at bbc for our area- last year we kept missing out narrowly too:-( fingers crossed we get something from the brief easterly midweek! Can't understand why the north is more favoured when normally a easterly is ideal for snow in our part of the country

Posted

Hi Tomasino

Thanks for the effort you have gone to in trying to organise this despite the continuing lack of interestPosted Image

Pleased you posted that as I saw Tom's post earlier today and (as always) got distracted by the small people and forgot to reply. Have now pm'd him :)
  • Like 3

Posted

Hi Reef. I was watching news 24 earlier, and they seemed to be making a big deal of the flooding in the SW. When I saw the report, I could not believe that in Somerset some people still need to travel by boat, due to the horrendous flooding some weeks ago. Good to hear you managed to get there and back safely, and pray that that the flooding doesn't materialise as planned.

Indeed, my parents feel so bad for those affected literally a few miles from their home. The weather, and nature, can be very hit and miss. Let's see what tomorrow and this week brings.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Just watched the weather on bbc news 24

Only went to 3.00pm tomorrow

So fi is 15 hours at the met office lol

• Like 1

Posted

Just watched the weather on bbc news 24

Only went to 3.00pm tomorrow

So fi is 15 hours at the met office lol

Due to the increase energy levels which are really beefing up right now, the MetO are running around like headless chickens because this energy is going to intensify the approaching storm Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Cheers yamps

So would that cause a hell,of a lot more snow that no one has really forecast ?

Edited by snowbob

Posted

Cheers yampsSo would that cause a hell,of a lot more snow that no one has really forecast ?

The amplification of the energy pounding the magnetosphere is greatly influencing the low pressures from West to East. Due to the unbalance of the polarity where the magnetic poles have shifted by 23*, the energy pulsating the inner core is greatly influencing the polar vortex which is going to intensify very cold over the UK.

Due to the forthcoming cold, snow is more than likely with the effective moisture/low levels.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Considering some of the reports coming in of severe damage over huge swathes of the UK, why is the media more concerned with Francoise Hollande's girlfriend?I would have thought this would be big news.

I totally agree with you.  As I walk along the road avoiding the sad ranks of people staring at their phones, I despair. I guess the human race are like rats. They'll keep breeding until the food runs out and then they'll turn completely on each other.  The Atlantic fronts will survive though!

The weather overpowers everything, nothing can stop what nature throws at us. I do worry what happens if the flood waters (incl ground water) continues to rise. Someone said not long a go what if it was all snow.. well makes us think the thinking behind those movie ideas like day after tmw....

(ppl on mobiles quite normal CB! we all do that and some walking while texting not looking!)

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

The weather overpowers everything, nothing can stop what nature throws at us. I do worry what happens if the flood waters (incl ground water) continues to rise. Someone said not long a go what if it was all snow.. well makes us think the thinking behind those movie ideas like day after tmw....

(ppl on mobiles quite normal CB! we all do that and some walking while texting not looking!)

lol not all of us, can't remember the last time I owned a mobile, when I did have one I forgot it all the time. When my hubby phoned then heard the phone ringing indoors, When I got home he would ask, "whats the point of you owning a phone."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

My phone is a few years old! I use the Internet on computers, the mobile used some times when out for reading the forums.

---

Have great concerns with the flood situation is set to worsen as more rain on the way.

Something that struck me is the new Environmental Agencies new flood risk map of the reservoirs -  http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/default.aspx

New and updated flood maps are now available. The maps show areas at risk from river, sea, reservoir and surface water flooding. Check them out to see if you live or work in an area at risk from flooding

I know that if waters breached the banks over the top or even worse...that flooding would obviously happen around and locally, but alarming looking at the map and how wide this can stretch, almost to the outskirts of Heathrow AP from the north side of Staines-Upon-Thames Reservoir if it flooded. Also have they issued these maps because of the current flood situation or were they going to do this anyway? I think as other new options are available they were in the process of doing the new maps, and would take quite some time to do. But has certainly been launched at the right time! 

post-11361-0-86668600-1390713677_thumb.j

Posted

Morning all, a red tinge to the sky this morning, looks a calm, clear morning, wife will be upset because I told her a great storm was coming, with terrible wind and rain, hail sleet and snow, oops think I might got a bit carried away. I hope you are right tiny ill, 'cause her indoors does get upset if I tell her not to put the washing out and its dry, especially in the winter, could end up with no dinner and a very quiet Sunday which could be classed as a bonus :-)

Since I posted this for you late risers (or lazy so and so's) it has now totally clouded over and dirty Dartford is as per tradition, damp, dull, dreary and depressing, be nice to have a little sprinkle of snow to cheer the old place up a bit, but it would probably turn slushy then that horrible grey colour.

Have a great day and I hope everyone is well.

Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 4

Posted

Morning all, a red tinge to the sky this morning, looks a calm, clear morning, wife will be upset because I told her a great storm was coming, with terrible wind and rain, hail sleet and snow, oops think I might got a bit carried away.Have a great day and I hope everyone is well.

looking at the radar  things could get a bit wet here soon!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We drove through Ewell Village yesterday, where we used to live. Was very surprised to see the lake and river have toppled their banks. I'll go back and take a few pictures later. The problem there is fed directly from a groundwater spring beneath the lake. They're keeping the sluices closed to protect down river at Kingston, stopping the Hogsmill flowing too much into the Thames. It's only a small area so can see this getting higher and higher as more rains adds to the groundwater there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Hi Tomasino

Hi Tams,

Thanks for all your support too and your excellent contributions during our chats with Ian Currie, your MOD Thread/Strat.Thread posts brought to life! Posted Image

I think with that squall line approaching the SE yesterday afternoon wasnt the best time to post those lines about the Ian Currie talks. I'll pop that post up again, in a few days time but if there werent enough members interested to warrant arranging talks for NW members specifically, I could always let members know of any talks he's arranged in the S.E, that are open to the general public and they could go along to those instead, if in a convenient location to attend.

Best Wishes,

Tom.

Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

The skinny band of ppn ahead of the main event is just falling lightly in Gillingham.

It's we have a very interesting afternoon amd night. Heres hoping for some white stuff developing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all. Posted Image

There was a deep red sky here this morning. I think it was trying to tell us something...

The BBC forecast just said a few of us are likely to wake up to a dusting of snow tomorrow morning. :)

I wonder about the duration of the upcoming cold though. This chart, at 10 days, from the ECM model, looks depressing from a cold perspective, to me. At least it would be drier though here. All too far off to take too much notice of though.

post-11059-0-86333600-1390725455_thumb.p

• Like 3

Posted

give it a hour  it should  be raining seems to be growing around  the London area

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

It's a case of nowcasting now.

The bbc reports will likely chop and change as the day goes on.

It's a strange situation. Slight changes to the low could bring a white out just as a equally as the change going the other way would see the Atlantic power through and more wind and rain.

I don't recall it being this knife edge for a few years. It certainly 'feels' more like snow outside this morning for whatever that's worth.

Posted

Good morning all!

Had a great time in London yesterday, even getting caught out in that squall yesterday didn't dampen the day.

Today is dry at the moment and 4.3c.  Going to make the most of that this morning then cooking a roast beef dinner.

Hope you all have a good Sunday. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Good morning everyone.

It's grey and miserable here this morning and felt fresh when I let the dog out this morning. Weather station reading 4.9 . It is also very still - the calm before the storm perhaps? Birds are all on the feeders and eating the berries on the cotoneaster, so it looks like they are stocking up.

Have parents coming for lunch, so busy day cleaning and cooking.

Have a good day whatever you are doing, and keep our fingers crossed that maybe we might see some of the white stuff this week.

Posted

What is on the way is **coldmild** yep joined these together, (arrrr be friends!) what I really meant is Atlantic storms usually bring double figures temps(at least at first)... well no not this one and to splash purple all over these regions tonight as soon as the back arrrsss of the rain pulls away (mean back arrrrs in a respectful way with the rain coz we want some snow so shift on plzzzz..)  just sayin the cold back edge and air following is very different to what we would normally get....

Really we are looking at potentially heavy snow showers tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purple/pink=snow maps

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Morning all

Dull is the only word for the weather this morning, it is not doing anything other than being dull, 3.7oC in the shed, not been out but may have to nip to ye olde shoppe for a few basics before they close at midday, other than that I just might stop in today (was thinking of taking a wander to the next village but suspect that will lead to drowned rat syndrome a bit later if I did).