IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 21/01/14

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

here bob

wheres my bun ?

YEAH - where's JP's bun Snowbob????

C'mon - hand it over - He needs to keep his strength up if he's going to deliver the goods  Posted ImagePosted Image

xxx

• Like 1

Posted

hi mate

its possible but hard to call at present

the low might help pull the russian high back towards us

but i expect a lot of model swings to come Posted Image

Hi JP, 

JMA has been consistent for a few days with the colder conditions and the big three played catch up which is unusual. Would you believe me if I said that Feb/Mar is going to be very cold at times with storms? Amazing times ahead!

Check out this article on the polar vortex splitting I re-blogged on my blog http://tinyurl.com/p3ew52r

Keep up the good work on here

• Like 3

Posted

Hi JP, 

Would you believe me if I said that Feb/Mar is going to be very cold at times with storms? Amazing times ahead!

Given that that describes most winters in the UK, not really!

Edited by Crepuscular Ray
  • Like 1

Posted

Morning all. Thank you AS for your kind words, its a bit difficult as I don't want to come across as a sad old boring git, but people seem to enjoy them, hopefully people will say if I over do it. I do it as a bit of fun and to try to show how quickly things have changed, its funny I refused to quote (but someone in our Peterborough office is) to rip out my first major job I did over 30 years ago, it was complex and one was of the first job that was computer controlled, that did cause a stir and problems as no one understood the controls. I refused because I was a sentimental old sod, who would have cried when the lads arrived to start the rip, they would be ripping out some great memories and tales, the one that springs to mind was that I was really proud of this job, and I spent months working away from home commissioning it, so me and the wife decided for a day out (this shows you how sad I am) to take my 2 girls up to see the site, Marion was heavily pregnant and needed to stop on the way up, for the normal thing. So we decided to go in a little chef for lunch and a wee break. Everything went fine until the ice cream, Jo my eldest girl was nearly 3, she was a very shy girl and never said boo to a ghost. Our ice cream arrived and she burst into tears, took us ages to find out why, simply they left the fan thing off the top of the ice cream and it wasn't like the picture on the menu. Its little memories like that, that for some reason jump into my mind, so perhaps you will understand why I refused to do the work. Think I must be an old sentimental person.

Its dark, dry and damp out this morning, getting excited by the forthcoming cold spell, not certain if we shall see snow down here, but what ever happens I am sure it will be interesting.

Happy POETS day everyone and I hope you all have a good day. Today i have to go to the office in Harlow, been a trying week this week and unfortunately next week looks to be worse, but have the weekend of the first and 2nd away for a family weekend to celebrate hers indoors 60th birthday, should be good. We are both a bit unlucky as we have become the oldest generation one, so their will be 3 generations present, should be a great weekend of being spoilt, eating, drinking and having the grand kids around us, let's hope we can all get there and the weather won't be to bad.

• Like 6

Posted

Last night I had the pleasure of going to the orchard in Dartford to see the Simon and Garfunkle story, pleased to say it was very good and lived up to my expectations, they are a part of my past and I enjoy there music, whilst not the happiest it has a lot of great memories, me and my boy went, non of the girls would go because they don't like them. I am pleased to say I was one of the youngest there, you have never seen so many bald heads, grey hair people, it was magic. The orchard was nearly packed and it really rocked, what a generation of people where there, but they must have lost a fortune as everyone other me and the boy was a consession, the number of new hips and knees must have been tremendous, whilst the duo where good, I thought they struggled on a couple of numbers, but it was probably me.

Everyone got into the swing and on the backdrop they put up some very thought provoking pictures from the 60s and early 70's including the summer of love '67, when these come up you could hear all the memories of the audience, the free love, the long lost innocence of the youth, the protest marches, the student protests, the Vietnam protest, for a drugged out, free love lot of old hippies didn't we protest a lot :-) I really was quiet envious of the oldies around me, as I was 15 and wearing my flowered shirt and flared trouser during that long summer all those years ago, so I missed out on all that free love, as I have for the rest of my life, but I was happy to know that those grey haired old grannies and bald grandads all around me had experienced everything that I as a 15 year old boy dreamt about.

One particular LP that has special memories for a sex starved youth of that era was the graduate, obviously the sound track from the brilliant Dustin Hoffman film of the same name, to think that, that surely the most sexiest film ever made (well it was to an unloved, spotty non shaving teenager) I ever saw, shame they cut it when they show it on the tele one days. Well the memories came flooding back, funny not of first loves, but of dim distant friends, cricket matches, my brother, being presented with my cricket cap, driving round Dartford with 6 in a mini playing Mrs Robinson at full blast, getting 40 not out and having my first pint of bitter. Why is music so thought provoking, why do some memories just pop into your brain, some of these I hadn't thought about for 50 years, all brought about by a few notes of music.

I have often said that the younger generation are going to have trouble with the people who where in their teens and just older, when we come to retire, can you imagine what its going to be like, in some god forsaken home, as we all sit in our rocking chairs, with our hearing aids in, with "I can't get no satisfaction" blaring away from a juke box in the corner, us oldies jiving away on our Zimmerman frames, and whose know, I might even get some free love I missed out on. But I can guarantee that I will on more drugs in my home than I ever took in the '60s. I will leave you with that fault. Have a bloody nice day all, and I hope I haven't spoilt your breakfast with those images.t

This will be the last of my recollections for a little while until the weather becomes less interesting, let's hope for a decent cold spell. Have a good day.

Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Interesting CK are read later ^^

Just before I go this proves everything and is real, don't even ask the file number in the heavy rain and flood alert map folder!!!!!!!!!!!

post-11361-0-09346700-1390547507_thumb.g

Exactly says it all. saying that some years late snow can come and be deep and a wintry time to come next week, so time to dust down the sledges .. well ... at least know where they are to buy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Thanks Jan, always good to hear from those who have emerged blinking into the sunlight

Chartlonkerry, thank you so much for your long and evocative post earlier about 63.  2 years before I was born but I remember my parents and their parents talking all about it and being shown pictures of my granddad shovelling about a foot of snow away from the drive of their bungalow in, would you believe, Plymouth.  In the photo he looks very much like he is enjoying himself and trying not to show it, but in Plymouth this was probably understandable.  Less so for much of the rest of the country.  Despite my relatively younger years and being in the mostly mild environs of Bristol as a youngster I still remember winters of washing hanging on the line frozen solid, swirly patterns of ice inside the windows sticking to the net curtains and the smell of paraffin as my dad topped up the heaters and lit the night lantern in the outside loo - green door with a latch, lock didn't work that well, always on the edge of the seat (literally) in there.  We also had an inside one though, so clearly we were a bit more bourgeoisie (had to use spell check on that one).  We had a Parkray fire that was supposed to heat the terraced house, not sure how as we didn't have radiators until I was 14, but my parents managed to convince me it was happening, and I still remember the smell  and the dust and drama of the coalmen arriving, the wagon pulling up outside the front door and the men carrying silvery shimmering bags of coal on their shoulders walking through the house on newspaper on the lino, huge boots and treadmarks, out the back door and chucking the contents of these huge sacks into the coalshed, properly noisy, delivering fossilised treasure  Whenever I buy coal these days, not that it is an essential any more, I still stick the bag on my shoulder as a small act of remembrance. Probably explains why I can't stand up straight. 

It's funny how hot summers (76 anyone?) don't have quite the same impact on me.  Cold, snow, ice, power cuts, candles, that thing you said about the slide - we did that, in the playground, make a slide on the ice/snow by running at it and skating/sliding as far as you could until falling, the more people went along it the faster and more lethal it became and so the more fun it was.  Don't remember the teachers being out there first thing stopping us, they were probably having a fag somewhere. 

2 things I can confess that, like CK the other day, I haven't told anyone: (1) when I was 14 we had to put down what we wanted to for work experience and I put 'weatherman' (didn't happen); (2) when I was 12 I used to read the weather chart in the paper in the morning (one of those old ones with isobars) and then write up a forecast which I sold to people in school for 2p for one day and 3p for 2 days.  I didn't make much.

AS

I wasn't around in Winter of 62/63, either, was born in 69. However I do treasure the photos of my parents' wedding in Feb 63, in Exeter. They were so  slim compared to many people these days. My Dad looked like Rick Astley and my mum had a beehive. They have some fantastic photos of snowdrifts and lanes full of snow between hedgerows with Austin Seven rooftops barely visible.

They also talked of the coalman, but mostly of sledging down the incredibly steep fields of Devon without a thought about how to stop at the hedges. My Aunt was a speed freak on a sledge. Now she gets her kicks from baking cake.

I don't have any memories of coal fires at all. Just the gas fires in the rooms downstairs and two hot water bottles in fluffy coats at bedtime. And electric blankets. Crittal windows with ice on the inside - check. The British Leyland cars that wouldn't start. Then Dad forgot about 'Buy British' and got an aged Merc which of course always worked and the rest is history, just like his references to trying to keep a printing works running in the 3 day week. It all seems so daft now.

There are still plenty of houses with outside loos, we have one at our 1930 semi. But there's one upstairs too, in fact it was only two years ago when we bought the place that I knocked the wall down between the separate loo and bathroom. I cant see where the coal would have been kept, there must have been such a facility. Gas must have been coming on stream when the house was built, although we have fireplaces in two bedrooms and of course larger ones in the lounge and dining room downstairs. Plastic double glazed windows have been fitted which are ugly, but at least the front door is original.

There is a photo of me in the snow (possibly winter '78) in a sort of igloo I build in the back garden, I remember it being there for weeks, that was in Poole, even then it was rare to have so much snow near the sea.

I was always interested in the weather but didn't get as far as selling weather forecasts ! I think its a fascination I inherited from my Dad, sadly we only talk about the weather now. My favourite weatherman as a kid was ..... just look at those glasses and those amazing magnetic isobars......

Posted Image

Edited by fluid dynamic
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning Posted Image

Frosty start here, could turn nice and cold next week if the models are right (certainly hope so Posted Image)

The frost is now melting rapidly :(

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

Morning :)

Down to 0.4c overnight and no rain..seems to be plaguing everyone further west which of course is not at all good for flood hit areas! Hope everyone stays safe..

Trying to be good and not look at mod thread in case it's all gone wrong..will save that pleasure for after work! Have a good day all :clap:

Edit: meant to say CK, your recollections are never a bore, I for one find them a very interesting read.

Edited by lottiekent
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Ever the optimist, next week post Wednesday looks...... Nippy.

I'm saying no more! No announcing to the office, no fridge forecasting, no talking in the pub.

*climbs into loft to move light up sledge to suitable grabbing distance*

• Like 8

Posted

I think the strength of the block is shown perfectly today.

Look at the radar a few hours ago and now, rain has hardly got any closer to us. Shows how strong the block is and that it's not giving up easily

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Ice and cold sunny days with blue skies.

I wasn't around in Winter of 62/63, either, was born in 69. However I do treasure the photos of my parents' wedding in Feb 63, in Exeter. They were so  slim compared to many people these days. My Dad looked like Rick Astley and my mum had a beehive. They have some fantastic photos of snowdrifts and lanes full of snow between hedgerows with Austin Seven rooftops barely visible.

They also talked of the coalman, but mostly of sledging down the incredibly steep fields of Devon without a thought about how to stop at the hedges. My Aunt was a speed freak on a sledge. Now she gets her kicks from baking cake.

One of the best things I've read in ages!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all,

Had a very windy night here on the island, damaging gusts - well it blew one of the chairs over on our balcony anyway !

post-10773-0-63121100-1390550871_thumb.j

• Like 5

Posted

Yep still got a coal chute down the side of my house from where it used be dumped.. my fridge freezer stands in front of that now, always remember the coal man dropping the coal in the chute that used to boil our coal boiler up to heat the morning water,the amount of black dust that filled the kitchen if that door was left open when he dropped the coal through if we hadn't shut that bloody door!!

Anyway i hear a rumour that we maybe getting colder??  i dont want to pop into the mad thread just incase a rattler flies at me head, and i can always tell if its all gone belly up by noticing the moaning forum is high up on the message threads!!

• Like 2

Posted

I love the reminiscing stories on here. It does bring back an era long gone, but not forgotten.  I especially concur with the power of music to evoke old memories and instantly take you back.

Today it is currently 3.2c.  Not much happening today.  I may bake a cake. 

Happy Birthday today to Whitespike.

Have a great Friday everyone, and don't work too hard. :)

• Like 3

Posted

Seems the pantomime crowd on the models thread are mainly saying "Oh yes it will" with some saying "Oh no it won't".

Edited by Habsish
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

Morning all from a chilly Faversham :)

Had a great morning reading all the reminiscent posts this morning while warming up with a cup of tea. It did bring back memories for me too, especially about the coalman. Our coalman was my bogeyman. He was terrifying! I'd be happily playing away in the garden and then he'd come walking round the corner, face black, eyes glowing white, carrying the sacks of coal to the bunker. He was so miserable and never said hello, he'd just stare and of course I was terrified of him haha. In the end my Mum used to warn me when he'd be coming so I could hide indoors. We never had heating other than the open fires and no hot water either. Bath time meant heating a huge drum of water up. I miss those days and our lovely incredibly old country house

• Like 6

Posted

Given that that describes most winters in the UK, not really!

The link I posted shows the polar vortex splitting big time. The UK will be hit very hard with very cold conditions & not forgetting even more storms.

Edited by yamkin
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Any thoughts on the snow prospects for next week?

I've assumed up until now that this was mainly a midlands north event but it seems there's some more upgrades this morning (particularly ECM) so does that bring us into the picture?

It would be nice to have an idea, to save me advising the family of imminent snow and then looking a t*t when nothing materialises (again).Posted Image

Posted

Morning all,

Had a very windy night here on the island, damaging gusts - well it blew one of the chairs over on our balcony anyway !

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Oh the excitement! :lol:

Morning all :)

cool start to the day here in St James. cant make up my mind whether its a POETS friday or not.

• Like 1

Posted

Does anyone else here find the under-twenties hilariously funny? the slightest cold wind and they wear all their winter thermals and shiver and say how cold it is?

How would they have dealt with some of the conditions we all lived through, as others have said, in days when it was rare to have central heating or even regular hot water, when we woke to ice on the inside of the windows, when you could see your clothes frozen rigid even in your own bedroom if it was cold enough, dressing for school in the cold, not being sent home if the school heating broke down, no, you sat and learnt in your coat.

And then being eager to get home to the casserole your mother had cooked for a bit of warmth, a nice liver casserole, or a bit of diced beef, rarely chicken as it cost too much.

• Like 8

Posted

Morning regionnaires!

Working backwards on this one as many peeps are primarily looking for something wintry, GFS says if it's coming, it will be blink and miss it:

Posted Image

Almost impossible to tell with snow chances at this range, but way out in a weeks time we could just miss it in our patch:

Posted Image

Maybe a couple of flakes, but nothing to go sledging in:

Posted Image

Met Office 5 day has nothing at all out to the end of its forecast but it does look to be a tad colder moving through Wednesday. Likewise NMM on Netweather extra

Now many of you will know I'm an eternal optimist and a snow lover to boot, but I can't currently see much more than a sprinkling in the middle of the night over the next week and unfortunately nothing to really jump into or throw over the next 7 days.

The search for Winter continues! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

I think the strength of the block is shown perfectly today.Look at the radar a few hours ago and now, rain has hardly got any closer to us. Shows how strong the block is and that it's not giving up easily

I noticed that too...its like its hitting a brick wall.

Morning all, chilly start here and as above the rain looks like its not getting here as quickly as forecast...keeping an eye on the radar.

Lets hope for some proper winter next week