Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 21/01/14

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Disruptive

90 % Sat 1st Feb for me Posted Image If only.

100% Dissappointment assured though Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Heavy hail shower here with very gusty winds

Posted

Good afternoon. Sorry to bother you lovely people with a technical question, but I really don't want to ask this question in the MOD and I don't mind looking silly to you chaps and chapesses. Karlos posted a chart that showed London Ensembles with the yellow ECMWF line showing a big dip in temps on 31st; however, I don't know what the blue NCEP line is. Any knowledgeable or frankly unknowledgeable reply much appreciated.  

Had some heavy showers here today but blue sky and clouds now, colder walking across campus than I expected and the stream is very high. Looks like my son and I may have to stop doing our river walks to Kingson, as yet again on Sunday we marvelled at getting the tow path into working order as we walked Kingstonwards, and then had to take the pavement back as it all flooded yet again - twice we've done that now. That's after getting soaked for every beach walk at Sandbanks, even when Sunday was forecast mostly clear. We appear to be the harbingers of rain....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Afternoon all - sun came out here so we decided to leave the caves until tomorrow afternoon and took the local bus along the coast to Puerto del Carmen where we are sat outside enjoying a lovely drink :-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Good afternoon. Sorry to bother you lovely people with a technical question, but I really don't want to ask this question in the MOD and I don't mind looking silly to you chaps and chapesses. Karlos posted a chart that showed London Ensembles with the yellow ECMWF line showing a big dip in temps on 31st; however, I don't know what the blue NCEP line is. Any knowledgeable or frankly unknowledgeable reply much appreciated.  

I think it's just the GFS Operational run.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/model-data/model-datasets/global-forcast-system-gfs

Edit. If this is the chart you were looking at, this confirms it. :)

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/services/ensemble-forecast.html

Edited by Steve C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Afternoon all - sun came out here so we decided to leave the caves until tomorrow afternoon and took the local bus along the coast to Puerto del Carmen where we are sat outside enjoying a lovely drink :-)

I'm due to be going to a hotel on the outskirts of there (2 miles from centre). Tips might be appreciated! :) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Heavy hail storm in Gillingham I have just been told by Mrs Throwoff.

Posted

Heavy hail storm in Gillingham I have just been told by Mrs Throwoff.

Beside the river we have bright sunshine.  I quite like hail so if it could pop down here that would be lovely.

ETA: The teenboy is back from school and he said he had hail when he first came out humphf.

Edited by Wyre

Posted

I'm due to be going to a hotel on the outskirts of there (2 miles from centre). Tips might be appreciated! Posted Image

What, you're going to be a waiter? Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Good afternoon lovelies

I got soaked this morning whilst out and about, and when I got home the sun came out. Posted Image

Snow is looking tantalizingly close, but will it?

Sunday looks downright horrid! Please, please go away rain!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon all

Well after a damp start this morning the day seems to have kept the theme going through most of it, when I left the orifice and stepped out it did seem a lot colder than when I went in earlier, just had a squally hail shower here and now calmer again with some sunshine (which is good as I need to nip out very soon).

Last night of Winter Watch tonight :( , but it is followed by another episode of Hidden Kingdom :)

Posted

Hail in Reigate.

Daughter's 13th birthday

Making a stir fry later.  Not sure what she's having though!

AS

• Like 3

Posted

Evening all

I am in Nottingham at the mo, where we have had a couple of heavy wintery showers, by wintery I mean sleet and rain, and the odd clap of thunder thrown in too.

Just about to jump in the car and head back to Southend...

Cheers

FC

Posted

oh to be a teenager again, Posted Image

Indeed, less bits of me were broken or worn out, I could run (now running a tap wears me out), had a fantastic horse that I would just get home from work/school/college* and on a whim (which was nigh on every day weather and light permitting no matter the time of year) go out on solo hacks into the countryside, life was good.  Now it is worrying about bills, nagging joints, working...

You never knew you had it so good until it has gone.

• Like 6

Posted

Afternoon :)

A chilly start, after the overnight cloud cleared away the overnight low was around 8am at 2.7c. Was sunny for a bit this morning but the groans of those going to lunch at midday indicated rain outside! Up to 7.9c earlier now dropping fairly quickly as is clear again..currently 4.8c.

Interested to see the late evening fax updates from John...hopefully it'll show something that'll give us a shot at the snow cup!

• Like 3

Posted

Her first teenage tantrum? Only joking, wish her a  very happy birthday, oh to be a teenager again, Posted Image

Thanks! Funnily enough yesterday I showed her the Kevin's 13th birthday sketch (Harry Enfield) which she thought was very funny.  When I went in this morning to wish her happy birthday she shouted 'WHAT?' in a very grumpy way but then burst out laughing (she wants to be an actress by the way....)

AS

• Like 4

Posted

Thanks! Funnily enough yesterday I showed her the Kevin's 13th birthday sketch (Harry Enfield) which she thought was very funny. When I went in this morning to wish her happy birthday she shouted 'WHAT?' in a very grumpy way but then burst out laughing (she wants to be an actress by the way....)AS

It's an interesting experience having a teenaged daughter at home, watching your little girl transforming into a young lady - I love hearing her thoughts on things and watching her turn into her own person. My eldest will be 15 in March and so far she's been ok with no real strops. Her only issue is not cleaning her room but I remember having that issue myself so I try not to be too naggy there! I'm sure I've just cursed it all and she'll turn into a Kevin tomorrow :rofl: Edited by lottiekent
  • Like 5

Posted

It's an interesting experience having a teenaged daughter at home, watching your little girl transforming into a young lady - I love hearing her thoughts on things and watching her turn into her own person. My eldest will be 15 in March and so far she's been ok with no real strops. Her only issue is not cleaning her room but I remember having that issue myself so I try not to be too naggy there! I'm sure I've just cursed it all and she'll turn into a Kevin tomorrow Posted Image

nearly 17 year old son is much more stroppy!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any weather

bloomin' great hail storm as I passed through March around 4pm - enough hail to coat the roads and pavements sending pedestrians under cover. 

One flash of lightning in the fields on the way out. Mrs Legrandefromage reported the same thing over Alconbury - her hail on the conservatory roof beat my hail on the windscreen for noise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Models still mad into FI, some showing 4 hours of heavy snow over the whole country then nothing...

Be interesting to see JP's assessment tonight.

Posted

Fantastic post CK Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Bit before my time but hear some stories about it from my elder family and friends though.

• Like 2

Posted

I loved that recollection CK.  Only a little before my time, but I love to hear stories of how people coped.  It makes me appreciate how lucky we are and really how much we all feline foot around when there is a bit of snow.

Lol, clearly I can't type puss-y here. :D

Edited by chilly milly
  • Like 3