Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 21/01/14

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Nowt to do with nature, the grey is not a British squirrel, they were brought over from America? I think. They are bigger then our squirrels and take over their habitat. However I'm am not in favour of having them killed off. They are here now, and whats happened is our fault not the squirrels.

The greys sound like Americans in general then! :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I swear I recall Humble or someone saying that it's actually us the takes red squirrel habitat, not the greys. That reds and greys can live well together in areas where habitat isn't threatened.

Goes to google to double check.

Edit: Yes. Red squirrels favour habitats that are often destroyed for farmland, whereas greys tend to favour dense woodland. As grey squirrels are more adaptable they cope better with habitat loss. Both types live harmoniously in protected habitat areas.

Edited by Lauren

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Totally awesome day and I've taken so many photos, here are a few for now and I'll post some more in my gallery when we are home :-)

Posted Imageimage.jpgPosted Imageimage.jpg

Posted Imageimage.jpgPosted Imageimage.jpg

Posted Imageimage.jpg

You seem to have had a better tour than we did last year - mind you mine was just on a day trip from Fuerteventura. We certainly didn't see the crater like that!

Did you organise yourself? I'm due to be in Lanzarote in just over a month too. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Nowt to do with nature, the grey is not a British squirrel, they were brought over from America? I think. They are bigger then our squirrels and take over their habitat. However I'm am not in favour of having them killed off. They are here now, and whats happened is our fault not the squirrels.

I work out doors with conservation of uk wildlife. The damage that grey squirrals do to our native wildlife is shocking. They steal the chicks from nests of finches and tits and other species that are in decline. They also compete for food with our native wildlife as well as causing damage to our native trees. I think they do look cute but they are one of the reasons for the decline of our songbirds in the UK. I also believe if it is our fault of them getting into the uk then we should do our best of fixing the problem and getting rid of them. I know you may not agree with this but I see the damage they do to our native fauna and flora.
  • Like 1

Posted

Has anyone seen the black variety of the Grey Squirrel?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2093826/Black-squirrel-Nationwide-hunt-100-years-introduced.html

p.s. sorry it's a Daily Mail linkPosted Image

Yes we have them here.  I've probably seen them three or four times in the last 12mths, so not common but about.

Posted

heres what i see on the late fax charts

sunday

Posted Image

a real messy one however this is how i see this at present

a strong south west wind am switching pm to north west  and could get strong around mid pm

cold front rattles in with warm front attached

can use these as seem ok to match

dry to lunch then

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

clearing by midnight

but that rain looks very heavy and could cause some issues we do not need at present

temps

Posted Image

cold before rain arrives

then warm up when here

then getting cold again on sunday night

Posted Image

will be cold but frost unlikely due to the wind

if out will feel v raw

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mon

Posted Image

winds still gusty but much lighter than sunday from a cold north west

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

cold around 4 degrees

showers am and possibly wintery

staying dry then a chance of some more wintry showers as night fall

monday night

very cold

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tuesday

via ukmo

Posted Image

an easterly flow

temps

Posted Image

looks around 4-5 but late pm colder uppers enroute so will drop to quite low figs late pm

looks like precip will be around via that low

500 temps

Posted Image

i want to say snow showers with this

and poss noticeable late pm

however need the fax tomorrow to confirm

got a feeling i will have to do some adjustments to these updates as we go along

happy anyway at present

except the flood risks before the colder set up gets here

Edited by john pike
  • Like 9

Posted

ecm ensembles

Posted Image

temps

ecm op right at the top

and i could call that an outlier on 27th-28th and 31st

ecm 12z gfs was a colder run Posted Image

Posted Image

wind

not a lot to write about there

Posted Image

rain

i think gfs loses the plot there from the 28th

looks dry on there 27th on

Edited by john pike
  • Like 2

Posted

Thank you JP :) Stayed up just for your update - still looking ok so I will go to bed with dreams of (possible if the low sinks the right way and we get the cold uppers in the right place) dreams ;)

• Like 2

Posted

hi lottie

sorry late

took a bit of time to do it

tuesday looks ok for now

and there could be some heavy precip pm

will have to wait to see how tomorrows run go

i think we could see something next week now

but no ramps from me

yet Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Cheers john

Great work as usual

Thanks mate

Edited by snowbob
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

I work out doors with conservation of uk wildlife. The damage that grey squirrals do to our native wildlife is shocking. They steal the chicks from nests of finches and tits and other species that are in decline. They also compete for food with our native wildlife as well as causing damage to our native trees. I think they do look cute but they are one of the reasons for the decline of our songbirds in the UK. I also believe if it is our fault of them getting into the uk then we should do our best of fixing the problem and getting rid of them. I know you may not agree with this but I see the damage they do to our native fauna and flora.

Natural predatory Corvidea are also responsible for the decline, it's not not just the grey squirrel. The great freeze in 1962? Decimated the bird populous and obviously the non-native species which over time re-populated didn't help matters. We choose to cull Badgers, Deer and the like with reasons of Disease and tree destruction, but where does it end? If we decide to 'cull/kill' any given species because we believe it was for a greater cause to stop one species becoming extinct/more important from another... By the grace god go I - I shouldn't have that wand, nature should. The decline is due to trees being chopped down, habitats being eroded by humans and loss of connection with our natural habits because generally communities are more focused in just 'being' rather than understanding we need these natural environments to be recognised as important in the longer term. Just My opinion.
  • Like 3

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=320&y=151&run=18&runpara=0&col=1&type=1&ext=1

gefs pressure ensembles Posted Image

Posted Image

fi in 3 days time

not much else to say really

anyways guys im off now

take care all, and talk tomorrow night

goodnight Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Clear skies here, no frost.... what a rip off :p

Posted

Morning all, looks a nice day out there today, clear blue sky, no frost but a heavy dew. Please you seemed to enjoy my ramplings off yesterday evening, took a big decision and told the wife, that when my time come to depart, I want that poem to be included in the service. Think it just sums up the situation so well.

Don't know if its just me, but getting slightly confussed over next week (as you know weather plays a major part in my business), I know its to fair advanced to be certain, yes, and it can alter at the drop of a hat, but is cold an snow, early next week being forecast for the whole of England (don't work in wales or Scotland, but to be fair most of my employees will tell you I don't work anywhere :-)) or is a localised to say the north east? I might have said it before, but we have to put emergency procedures in place if travel is going to be disrupted, and its handy to know if its localised or country wide disruption, as obviously its effect the planning. Thank you netweather the fourth emergency service :-)

Thinking about reproducing some of my memories of the winter of 62/63 would anyone be interested to read them on here, don't want to bore you as I suppose, it could be argued that it was on topic, something which I think you would agree is most unlike me :-)

Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 4

Posted

Morning all. Dry and cold outside here today.  Temp 3.6c and it's promising to be bright once daylight breaks.

Have a good day, everyone. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Morning everyone. It's a chilly 2 here and quite foggy. Can just about see the houses across the way from me!

Take care if you are out and about early. I think I will postpone the dog walk until I can see where I am going!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well a damp but frosty morning here.

I'm gonna get real withdrawal symptoms if we don't get at least 3 days of lying snow! I relish taking my dear wheel drive car out in the snow lol.

Mal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

You seem to have had a better tour than we did last year - mind you mine was just on a day trip from Fuerteventura. We certainly didn't see the crater like that! Did you organise yourself? I'm due to be in Lanzarote in just over a month too. :)

I'll PM you with some information when we get back Steve :-) Morning all - bit cloudy and windy here this morning so we are waiting to see if it clears before we make a final decision on where to go but at the moment it's looking like the Cueva de los. Verdes (green caves) will be the best option ! I'm guessing we might have a bumpy landing back at Luton on Sunday evening then ? Oh well here's my message to the weather gods for the lack of UK winter snow ......post-10773-0-08583000-1390463381_thumb.j
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Morning all,

A nice enough start to the day but i see more rain is incoming. Its about time, it hasnt rained for at least 12 hours......

Oh please let it snow....something else other than this onslaught would be so welcome.