Sign in to follow this  
Weather-history

Pub on M40?

But then most pubs are on main or arterial roads, so having one on a motorway shouldn't be any more 'encouraging' than one on the high-street surely?

It must be about the self-control of the individual, not the location or availability of drink. Many motorway service stations sell wine and beer already.

• Like 1

Seen that this morning on Sky news.

Quite odd I must add. I can imagine quite a few police officers/cars will be stationed there.

Still, it's silly to open a Pub on the motorway.

But then most pubs are on main or arterial roads, so having one on a motorway shouldn't be any more 'encouraging' than one on the high-street surely? .

There is a big difference. If you are on the motorway, you are getting from A to B, you are not going on the motorway just to visit the pub on it, are you? Edited by Weather-history

There is a big difference. If you are on the motorway, you are getting from A to B, you are not going on the motorway just to visit the pub on it, are you?

What about the passengers wanting a break in social surroundings? I guess the pub chain/operator has done some research on the possible customer foot fall and decided it has merits from a retail point of view - they must be a profit making business. I understand that no one (me included) wants to promote drink-driving, but I don't necessarily think that availability on a motorway is going to sway a considerate driver. A driver who is determined (or foolish) enough to drink and drive will do so anyway on a motorway, A, B road or back lane.

• Like 1

Seen that this morning on Sky news. Quite odd I must add. I can imagine quite a few police officers/cars will be stationed there. Still, it's silly to open a Pub on the motorway.

To me, the heart of a pub is its locals, the local community. It's their loyalty that keeps the pub going. Where is the community spirit going to be found in a motorway service station pub?Families and friends goes to the pub for a Sunday lunch or special occasions. Who is going to go to a motorway service pub for a special occasion? The only way this pub is going to make money is by attracting passing drivers off the motorway. It ain't going to attract the locals, it ain't going to attract the families and friends for those occasions.
  • Like 4

The M40 from the M42 to the cutting through the Chilterns is easily the most boring motorway in Britain. Loads of cases of drivers falling asleep there- knowing you can have a crafty half at Beaconsfield might just keep some of them going....

Also that service station is NOT right on the motorway, it's off a roundabout that joins a load of town A-roads. It's going to get people in from the local area as well.

What about the passengers wanting a break in social surroundings? .

If they want a break in social surroundings then why are they in the vehicle in the first place, lol? Passengers tend not want to have a break from the driver and mix with other humans unless the mother in law is the driver, lol They want to stretch their legs, have something to eat or drink, toilet break etc.

And they hide cigarettes behind screens when alcohol is promoted everywhere you look. When did you ever hear of someone being killed on the road because a driver had one too many smokes? Or a man beating up the wife and kids because of cigarettes? Alcohol is, IMO the cause of more misery, crime and deaths than cigarettes. And I speak from experience. As I've said before, I was a heavy drinker until a few years ago, and it really messed up my life. Cigs never did.

• Like 5

After being stuck in motorway queues, you might feel like you need a drink! :winky:

Don't worry, I'm only being ironic! :) If I drive somewhere, with a crowd of people, which I do every so often, then I'd be happy to stop at such an establishment for my passengers to have a pint, or a few. :)

For the drivers, it's easy. As Coast says, self control is all that's needed imho.

• Like 1

If they want a break in social surroundings then why are they in the vehicle in the first place, lol? Passengers tend not want to have a break from the driver and mix with other humans unless the mother in law is the driver, lol They want to stretch their legs, have something to eat or drink, toilet break etc.

My football travelling friends do, although they'd probably prefer a country local tbh.

Can just see some guy staggering out of the motorway pub on his way to cause a little highway carnage, but he couldn't have a cig in the pub in case it upset some snotty-nosed brat with imagined asthma.

• Like 2

Come on, let's be honest. For 99% of drivers, the sudden appearance of a pub on a motorway isn't going to make them suddenly start drinking and driving, is it? And anyway, Wetherspoons do some decent grub! Their burger and drink deals (not necessarily alcoholic) are damn good :)

Can just see some guy staggering out of the motorway pub on his way to cause a little highway carnage, but he couldn't have a cig in the pub in case it upset some snotty-nosed brat with imagined asthma.

Want some ketchup with that chip on your shoulder?

Edited by Nick L

Come on, let's be honest. For 99% of drivers, the sudden appearance of a pub on a motorway isn't going to make them suddenly start drinking and driving, is it? And anyway, Wetherspoons do some decent grub! Their burger and drink deals (not necessarily alcoholic) are damn good Posted Image

Actually i think its a good idea to have pub grub at a motorway service station better than the choice on offer currently either fast food (KFC/Burger King etc) or hideously expensive rubber food from the restaurant..if they had a string of pubs say on the M5/M6 you could go on the longest pub crawl ever from Exeter to CarlislePosted Image

• Like 1

Bloody kids shouldn't be anywhere near a pub anyway - and they can take their ketchup back home with them.

• Like 1

Once again I find myself agreeing with Triple on this one. Do we not have a brain any more? Do we constantly need someone else telling us what we should and shouldn't do? If I go into that Wetherspoons, will I be tempted to have a drink? No, because I know it's wrong. Besides, they do some nice food and at a great price. Wetherspoons is labelled as a pub, but to me it's more like a low market restaurant. 

• Like 1

If I go into that Wetherspoons, will I be tempted to have a drink? No, because I know it's wrong.

Unfortunately, not everyone is like you and me. Putting a pub in the middle of the motorway is - to those who are more than a little inclined that way -  like letting a junkie loose in the stockroom of a pharmacy. I cannot for the life of me see how even the smallest amount of alcohol can be anything but detrimental to safe driving.

• Like 1

Well I can't see it being a problem with Guinness and Stella at £3,99 a pint and a glass of Sauvignon blanc at £4.75.

• Like 1

Well I can't see it being a problem with Guinness and Stella at £3,99 a pint and a glass of Sauvignon blanc at £4.75.

That's cheap compared to pubs around here! 

That's cheap compared to pubs around here! 

That's 'cos you live in  posh area. The most exclusive swill around here is White Lightning.

I can't understand why its any different to driving off the motorway, when you go through towns where there are so many temtations to buy alcohol should you be inclined.

One pint affects your judgement and reactions, whether it's legal or not. When all you're doing is driving back from the pub to your house at 30 mph that split second attention wander/slowed reaction doesn't count for a lot, at 80 mph it might.

• Like 2

I can't understand why its any different to driving off the motorway, when you go through towns where there are so many temtations to buy alcohol should you be inclined.

True, but you have no option but to drive to the pub on the motorway....

One pint affects your judgement and reactions, whether it's legal or not. When all you're doing is driving back from the pub to your house at 30 mph that split second attention wander/slowed reaction doesn't count for a lot, at 80 mph it might.

No different than stopping on an A road that is a designated dual carriageway..or having a drink in a pub in a town then driving down the motorway..for example i know that within 500 yrds of Exeter services on the M5 there is a holiday Inn ..a premier inn and couple of pub/restaurants places like a Harvester etc..the same at Bristol at the Criibbs Causeway junction...so whats the difference?