Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heat Records 2013

knocker

Posted

It was another notable year for all-time heat records in 2013, with six nations and three territories tying or setting records for hottest temperature on record. No nations set an all-time cold record in 2013. For comparison, five countries and two territories set all-time hottest temperature records in 2012, and the most all-time national heat records in a year was twenty nations and one territory in 2010. Since 2010, 45 nations or territories have set or tied all-time heat records, but only one nation has set an all-time cold temperature record. Since each of those years was a top-ten warmest year in Earth's history, and 2010 was the warmest year on record, this sort of disparity in national heat and cold records is to be expected. Most nations do not maintain official databases of extreme temperature records, the national temperature records I report here are in many cases not official. I use as my source for international weather records Maximiliano Herrera, one of the world's top climatologists, who maintains a comprehensive list of extreme temperature records for every nation in the world on his website. If you reproduce this list of extremes, please cite Maximiliano Herrera as the primary source of the weather records. Wunderground's weather historian Christopher C. Burt maintains a database of these national heat and cold records, for 235 nations and territories, on wunderground.com's extremes page.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2613

• Like 2

Posted

The text in bold in that article could be considered to be warm biased. It includes "territories" AND nations for the warm records, but just nations in the cold one.

The odds of more records increase massively when you include territories, of which there could be literally hundreds in just one nation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Notable global heat and cold records set in 2013

Hottest temperature in the world in 2013: 53.9°C (129°F) at Death Valley, California, June 30
Coldest temperature in the world in 2013: -81.7°C (-115°F) at Dome A, Antarctica, July 31
Hottest temperature in the Southern Hemisphere: 49.6°C (121.3°F) at Moomba Aero, Australia, January 12
Coldest temperature in the Northern Hemisphere: -64.2°C (-83.6°F) at Summit GEO, Greenland, March 4

Number of major world stations which set their all time highest temperature in 2013: 389

Number of major world stations which set their all time lowest temperature in 2013: 12

On 27 February, 2013, a new February all-time heat record for the Northern Hemisphere was set with 44.5°C (112.1°F) at Abu Na' Ama (Sudan). Previous record: 44.4°C with two former record holders: Kayes in Mali, and Kiffa in Mauritania.

• Like 2

Posted

It's Jeff Masters at Wunderground, well known for warmist bias articles.

I take it Maximiliano Herrera, one of the world's top climatologists, is also not to be trusted? It really is quite damnable when the whole world is in on the conspiracy. Is there any hope I ask myself.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

The text in bold in that article could be considered to be warm biased. It includes "territories" AND nations for the warm records, but just nations in the cold one.The odds of more records increase massively when you include territories, of which there could be literally hundreds in just one nation.

False. It includes countries and territories in BOTH cases.

There aren't "hundreds" of territories in each country, you are confusing related territories (dependences or colonies) with provinces ,regions ,etc...

These have nothing to do. Territories is meant for dependencies, Most of the countries have NONE. Few of them have some like for example the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, Anguilla, Cayman Islands, Pitcairn, Montserrat , etc.... or for USA  Guam, American Samoa, Northern Marianas,..... for France  the French Guyana, the French Polynesia, Reunion, Mayotte, etc.... 

Anyway, in both cases countries and territories are included.

The last 3 countries and/or territories to have beaten their official record of lowest temperatures are Egypt in 2008, Guinea in 2009 and Zambia in 2011.

• Like 4

It's Jeff Masters at Wunderground, well known for warmist bias articles.

I wouldn 't say so. I would say he correctly reports the official data of the 5 (not 1) main databases which calculate the average T of the world by land/ land+ocean and by satellite. Than, he can express his ideas of the climatic trend of the future.

You might agree or you might not. Nobody can be sure of what will come next, despite all the technology we have.

To be biased is a different story. I could cite lots of blogs which always  report absurd and often fake stories of conspiracies, which should really be labelled as biased. But It's not my intention to point fingers, just to clarify Mr. Masters is an honest people. He might not be right all the time, but who is always right ?

Edited by Maximiliano Herrera
  • Like 4

Posted

False. It includes countries and territories in BOTH cases.There aren't "hundreds" of territories in each country, you are confusing related territories (dependences or colonies) with provinces ,regions ,etc...These have nothing to do. Territories is meant for dependencies, Most of the countries have NONE. Few of them have some like for example the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, Anguilla, Cayman Islands, Pitcairn, Montserrat , etc.... or for USA  Guam, American Samoa, Northern Marianas,..... for France  the French Guyana, the French Polynesia, Reunion, Mayotte, etc.... Anyway, in both cases countries and territories are included.The last 3 countries and/or territories to have beaten their official record of lowest temperatures are Egypt in 2008, Guinea in 2009 and Zambia in 2011.

Greenland, St. Pierre et Miquelon and Heard and MacDonald Islands set all-time heat records, and these aren't part of Denmark, Metropolitan France and Australia respectively. Admittedly the definitions can get a little hazy. Technically, the Isle of Man is simply a dependency, rather than part, of the UK even though it's located between all four UK countries and meteorologically speaking probably quite representative.

Posted

Greenland, St. Pierre et Miquelon and Heard and MacDonald Islands set all-time heat records, and these aren't part of Denmark, Metropolitan France and Australia respectively. Admittedly the definitions can get a little hazy. Technically, the Isle of Man is simply a dependency, rather than part, of the UK even though it's located between all four UK countries and meteorologically speaking probably quite representative.

That was my point. There is a bit of ambiguity surrounding the term "territory". The wording of the part highlighted in bold appeared slightly misleading to me, intentional or not. For the record, I'm not disputing the content of the article.

• Like 1

Posted

I wouldn 't say so. I would say he correctly reports the official data of the 5 (not 1) main databases which calculate the average T of the world by land/ land+ocean and by satellite. Than, he can express his ideas of the climatic trend of the future.

You might agree or you might not. Nobody can be sure of what will come next, despite all the technology we have.

To be biased is a different story. I could cite lots of blogs which always  report absurd and often fake stories of conspiracies, which should really be labelled as biased. But It's not my intention to point fingers, just to clarify Mr. Masters is an honest people. He might not be right all the time, but who is always right ?

Thanks very much for your comments. I would just like to say not all of us have the same jaundiced view of Dr, Masters or indeed question his scientific objectivity.

• Like 1

Posted

So are the warm records climate and the cold ones just weather. If so even more hypocrisy from those who like to manipulate the facts.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

So are the warm records climate and the cold ones just weather. If so even more hypocrisy from those who like to manipulate the facts.

The level of attribution we can assign climate change to each individual record would require years worth of study and investigation. Which is why nobody but yourself and 4wd seem intent on dragging climate change into threads where they're not needed. Hypocrisy?

• Like 1

Posted

The level of attribution we can assign climate change to each individual record would require years worth of study and investigation. Which is why nobody but yourself and 4wd seem intent on dragging climate change into threads where they're not needed. Hypocrisy?

Actually BFTV, your the first one that has come out and said that and I would agree it would take quite a while to gather all the data and then reach a conclusion. Edited by Sceptical Inquirer