Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 19th January 2014-18z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

-5 uppers into the north east of england at 126

Posted Image

at 138 the cold uppers are starting to be pushed east hmmmmmmmmm

Posted Image

I've looked at this about 3 times now, if anything the colder uppers are making more inroads into the east??

the T+126 shows -8 uppers into the North East of England, South East Scotland.

the T+ 138 charts shows -8 uppers from Humberside down to Kent.

• Like 8

Posted

I've looked at this about 3 times now, if anything the colder uppers are making more inroads into the east?? the T+126 shows -8 uppers into the North East of England, South East Scotland. the T+ 138 charts shows -8 uppers from Humberside down to Kent.

Pleased you have also spotted that, I just thought I had misread those 850 charts.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!

GFS 18z showing strong snow signal next friday midlands northward

post-18819-0-99067700-1390602846_thumb.j

Posted

Not a hint on the 18z tonight of it trending towards the UKMO run at t96 onwards

and despite what some say about the 06z and 18z being poor runs there is always

an element of truth about them especially in the earlier stages.I would therefore

now say I would be extremely surprised to see the ECM move towards the UKMO in

the morning in fact I would expect to see the the reverse.

I would not worry about counting snow totals on the ECM run either. A totally

pointless exercise at the time frames we are talking about and given what I am

seeing from the 18z the south of the country at least may be having to wait a

while longer yet to see any worthwhile snow.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

GFS is different but really variations on a theme.  At 192 and the Atlantic hitting a brick wall and not making any inroads with a chunk of PV heading out of Canada. Brilliant day of model viewing.  What's the next twist???

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

The differences between GFS and METO are very early in the piece at say day 3. This is where GFS sets up the Euro high over Russia at which point its effectively game over as there is no cold pool to work with. METO has heights much further north.

METO is a much stronger model than GFS at early timescales but given how early on the two diverge I'm concerned on this occasion as the extra six hours data gives GFS a huge advantage in this instance.

We can have slider lows, easterly winds etc. but it doesn't matter if its not cold enough!!

Ordinary mid winter fare from GFS tonight. I still think it will be another couple of weeks if its coming, but that's only my view.

• Like 1

Posted

My own personal view is that many will be left disappointed, esp in the south. ECM, given the 850s and associated secondary low heading se by t168, has the potential to deliver transient snow to the south; but it all appears temporary, as is often the case when relying on cold from the NW! The block, according to ext ecm will have less influence on the UK by days 10-15! However, it appears temps will remain below average throughout this period, so naturally we could see wet snow at times, but it would appear rainfall totals are the major concern at this juncture.

Posted Image

days 10-15, heights, ecm ext

• Like 1

Posted

I wish those ppn charts would just be deleted,utter waste of time,every other bit of weather kit is however worthwhile .

Gfs 18z shows that a done deal is not done regarding bitterly cold air .

Still think that the atlantic has some sort of foothold in the overall pattern ,can see why the experts are holding back

• Like 1

My own personal view is that many will be left disappointed, esp in the south. ECM, given the 850s and associated secondary low heading se by t168, has the potential to deliver transient snow to the south; but it all appears temporary, as is often the case when relying on cold from the NW! The block, according to ext ecm will have less influence on the UK by days 10-15! However, it appears temps will remain below average throughout this period, so naturally we could see wet snow at times, but it would appear rainfall totals are the major concern at this juncture.

Posted Image

days 10-15, heights, ecm ext

HUGE ammount of northern blocking on that chart.

The million dollar question is can we get the limpet rough far enough south...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Not a hint on the 18z tonight of it trending towards the UKMO run at t96 onwardsand despite what some say about the 06z and 18z being poor runs there is alwaysan element of truth about them especially in the earlier stages.I would thereforenow say I would be extremely surprised to see the ECM move towards the UKMO inthe morning in fact I would expect to see the the reverse.I would not worry about counting snow totals on the ECM run either. A totallypointless exercise at the time frames we are talking about and given what I amseeing from the 18z the south of the country at least may be having to wait awhile longer yet to see any worthwhile snow.

I think waiting until tomorrow morning would be best before making any judgements, speaking from someone who got badly burnt from an out of kilter UKMO run which turned out to be right.

It really is down to that Siberian section of the vortex really, only a small margin will result in cold unstable air sticking around the siberian region or going underneath the high to our north east and supporting the block which gives the robust high seen on the UKMO. It's probably not much in the early ranges but it sure makes a difference by day 5 onwards.

@Draztik, i've accepted the soggy inevitable for a few days now, this literally is mass flooding or snowfest. 

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

HUGE ammount of northern blocking on that chart.The million dollar question is can we get the limpet rough far enough south...

I'm impressed by that 11/15 dayer but I suspect that's because I realise we dont live in Scandinavia! nice to see th chart posted to illustrate my earlier post.
  • Like 1

18Hz not particularly encouraging into medium term, but better for snow/wintry showers showers chances into Monday, with lower 850HPA (sub -5c for longer) and thickness levels now closer to 520dam.

Also there remains a change for snow Friday, as front passes through, but details on that event will change.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
Posted · Hidden by tight isobar, January 25, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by tight isobar, January 25, 2014 - No reason given

Ep18z gfs should only come into cross mosel consensus, with its evolution its shouting mistake after mistake read into what you willl.panic needs withold, evolution by dawn I think will raise a roger Moore EYEBROW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

London

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

I thought we would have had a bit more to go on from the media side about next week by now, with the very cold looking charts, from the ecm mean & the ukmo's last 6 model runs which have all been very wintry looking..this might turn a little cooler next week is really a bit feeble I think..

Realistic maybe?

Posted

JMA 18Z is better than GFS at 84 hours. Sort of a half way house between GFS and Meto (maybe 60 / 40 in favour of meto).

Note the position of the heights to our east / north east on the two runs.

JMA -- http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/jma.php?ech=84&mode=1

GFS -- http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=84&mode=0

Given that the key changes occur earlier than this at day 3 I think we will have resolution on this saga in the morning as one or other side has to blink soon :-)

GEFS will be interesting in next 30 mins

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Tonight's Fax Charts are out and they aren't that bad, especially Wednesday's with cold air flooding West over Europe and Low pressure close to the South with the 528 dam line suitably placed for some wet snow possibilities in the South.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack3.html

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack4.html

Edited by Gibby
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Given the Berlin and Warsaw ECM ens graphs, I am surprised the day 5 fax is left unmodified. There is no sign of a deeply cold easterly on them.

Yes,they don't paint a pretty picture actually

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Given the Berlin and Warsaw ECM ens graphs, I am surprised the day 5 fax is left unmodified. There is no sign of a deeply cold easterly on them.

Yes, not a good end of the day.  I fear a day of downgrades tomorrow (I'm trying to tempt fate!)