Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 19th January 2014-18z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

In the hunt for cold and even all the talk of rain, no ones really mentioned how windy this upcoming period is going to be.Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

No, but it definitely takes an Aerospace Engineer Posted Image 

I can't stop looking at this chart from the JMA, heavy snow for the Midlands. 

Posted Image

fingers crossed... what I would give for another Feb 09 event..

• Like 3

Posted

So end of day, where are we? T0-T48, plenty of rain and wind. T72-T120, a wintry mix, potentially quite snowy up north, a small possibility of nationwide snow later in the period. T144 and beyond, a much more pronounced split. Most wintry charts are full blown winter beasts (ukmo/jma). Least wintry charts are more like a battleground with substantial snow on the NE edge of any fronts (ecm).

I think there have been worse days watching the models ;)

but let's hope the rain isn't too serious in the short term

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Tonight's Ecm 12z ensemble mean really cranks up the wintry potential by the middle of next week onwards or sooner, these charts suggest snow fest to me with cold air becoming entrenched across the uk with between -5 / -10 T850 hPa, the charts look very wintry, certainly compared to winter so far they are chalk and cheese, it looks cold and snowy with lows sliding southeast and undercutting the block, sucking cold continental air into the uk and mixing with low pressure...add this to the ukmo 12z wintry dream charts and you would think coldies have a lot to smile about next week and possibly beyond.

Indeed frosty taking the mean at face value there is fantastic support there for a very snowy set up , yes it's risky as these situations always are but with cold embedded air , we have low pressure across the uk on 3 successive days , with low pressure steaming southeast across uk , if that turns to be correct with embedded cold air next wkend Into the following week really could be epic indeed . I realise there's a long way to go but what an exciting outlook we have ! Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

18z GFS looking very consistent so far. No remarkable changes to 96 hrs.

Maybe a tad better than the 12z as the 18z develops a little low to the SE of the high to stop any push S/E

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

as long as it doesn't look like the hideous ecm lol!!!

The Ecm 12z op run looked pretty cold and wintry to me, hideous for those who prefer mild for sure. 

• Like 4

Posted

Living on the east coast as i do in norfolk, cold from the east never really delivers in the way of snow(i know it seems daft) but here  allways the best falls come from the west as cold meets mild?

Posted

Living on the east coast as i do in norfolk, cold from the east never really delivers in the way of snow(i know it seems daft) but here  allways the best falls come from the west as cold meets mild?,

That's my concern, way too early to tell but we need to hope that the north sea doesn't moderate the cold uppers too much. Places further inland shouldn't have the same issue as folk near the coast though. Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Clearly a better run by 120hrs. The HP is stronger, Greenland troughing backed further west. Hold on to your hats folks, let's see what transpires here...

• Like 7

Posted

some nuances on the extended ecm ens as follows.  days 11-13 see another vortex trough extension towards nw europe but this one, with a less invasive azores ridge comes more directly west to east and then plants itself to our west and slips energy se across the uk. unusual to have such low thicknesses approaching off the atlantic adnd if we have cold embedded by that stage we really will see some disruptive snowfall somewhere across the uk. the recent runs have seemed to want to relax the lower anomolys to our south but this run is happy to maintain them, fed by a sinking jet which no longer has to traverse the azores ridge. a trend for higher heights in se europe/eastern med.  could be quite a cold period setting up with no real sign that the canadian vortex is going to dwindle too much and that mean more atlantic systems headed into nw europe.  i guess sliders approaching west to east into a broad uk trough is what ian was mentioning earlier.  it certainly looks like remaining fascinating for the next couple of weeks at least and by then, i expect the russian high could begin its march west.

A good post, supporting the prospect of a sustained 'cold zonal' outlook. I too expect the Russian high to be an omnipresent feature through the latter part of the winter and will become the key driver rather than the Canadian vortex - the strat forecasts support such a feature being very strong.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms, sun, anything photogenic.

I think im correct(someone will if im wrong) but the midlands has seen some great snowfalls from sliders in the past...

Im with you karl,its concerning me.

TBH SO many times in the past we have sat here crowing over the cold synoptics at 144h and the meto have refused to ramp,9 times out of 10 when t0 arrives im wearing wellies and carrying an umbrella..

Im Praying for a change tomorrow Posted Image

I agree. The charts look stellar, but until the Met Office are confident enough to shout about it, I'm taking it all with a huge pinch of salt.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

-5 uppers into the north east of england at 126

Posted Image

at 138 the cold uppers are starting to be pushed east hmmmmmmmmm

Posted Image

Edited by Boro Snow

Posted

And micro analysis of each 6 hour motion continues… Lads, please let the run go through to 144 or more before looking at micro scale changes!!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

not so sure about that cc

perhaps at that point there is very little interrun difference....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Like Ian has said tonight the met are saying they is a very good chance that either the ECM gfs solution could win out or the ukmo jam model could win out many more runs over weekend needed. Think we won't be any wiser until perhaps the 12z on Monday or even Tuesday think anything past t72 is fi at moment

• Like 1