Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 19th January 2014-18z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

18z pub run off to an atrocious start

Posted Image

Agreed and with a lot of cold air wrapped around the storm too.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014012218/gfs-1-96.png?18

Posted

One thing is certain Biggin, a big stormy low will definately hit the uk on sunday, no question about it..batten down the hatches again and get the sand bags ready in flood prone areas.

Although the UK is likely to get affected by this deep low pressure system in terms of rainfall, whether the winds will come into play is far from certain yet and we probably won't get a full extent of what might happen on Sunday until Friday at least. However it does have the potential to be quite a rapidly deep low pressure  as its interacts with the jet stream.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

So yet another winter storm brewing in the nw Atlantic with our name on it for Sunday into Monday, although not coinciding with spring tides like the storms of a few weeks ago it will still produce a lot of unwanted rain for money, thermal gradients behind the initial front seem very marked dropping from +5 to -5 850s in a very short space of time could cause very heavy rain followed by a spell of sleet and snow in heavier bursts almost anywhere settling above 300 metres then Monday into Tuesday? Anyone's guess.

I reckon for the Pennines and Scotland maybe as low as 200m. These areas in the firing line. And with dew points lowering followed by evaporative cooling some may get down to 100-150m. Still it is a fickle thing snowfall and almost a nowcast situation at times!

• Like 2

Posted

18z pub run off to an atrocious start

Posted Image

Yes, More Cold Rain. More Floods.

Edited by 'ColdIsBest'

Posted

Hang about: if the very same system was offering a foot of snow, it would be discussed ad infinitum on this particular thread, without any query whatsoever and no hints at such postings getting 'bounced'.

The polarisation of supposedly 'valid' model discussion / interest / extremes solutions merely being those offering cold/snow is, in my view, rather wearying and surely spurious (I hope the mods will agree). Last year, a 'hunt for cold' thread was specifically started to ensure focal point for the cold-seeking stuff; surely this thread is to discuss ALL wx types from the models in winter with EQUAL validity... not least when the threat of very wet weather is showing loud and clear in reliable modelling and is of great interest to a number of people on the forum, including, I have no doubt, coldies with wider meteorological interests/appreciation.

I fully get that various people want snow and are seeking for it across all output - that's wholly reasonable. But you will have to appreciate those who are rightly posting about the here-and-now issues of pressing weather /model interest, which happen to be heavy rain events likely to cause considerable disruption.

I think the original poster was referencing this thread  http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78985-atlantic-storms-january-2014/?view=getnewpost  and was quite an innocent comment?

• Like 1

Posted

Agreed and with a lot of cold air wrapped around the storm too.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014012218/gfs-1-96.png?18

Don't get confused by the colours with the thicknesses. in a deep storm like this, the cold air gets mixed out especially in the centre of it and in the end, the UK gets cool uppers only. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Hang about: if the very same system was offering a foot of snow, it would be discussed ad infinitum on this particular thread, without any query whatsoever and no hints at such postings getting 'bounced'.

The polarisation of supposedly 'valid' model discussion / interest / extremes solutions merely being those offering cold/snow is, in my view, rather wearying and surely spurious (I hope the mods will agree). Last year, a 'hunt for cold' thread was specifically started to ensure focal point for the cold-seeking stuff; surely this thread is to discuss ALL wx types from the models in winter with EQUAL validity... not least when the threat of very wet weather is showing loud and clear in reliable modelling and is of great interest to a number of people on the forum, including, I have no doubt, coldies with wider meteorological interests/appreciation.

I fully get that various people want snow and are seeking for it across all output - that's wholly reasonable. But you will have to appreciate those who are rightly posting about the here-and-now issues of pressing weather /model interest, which happen to be heavy rain events likely to cause considerable disruption.

Wanna Bet?....you haven't met OON yet Ian! Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Don't get confused by the colours with the thicknesses. in a deep storm like this, the cold air gets mixed out especially in the centre of it and in the end, the UK gets cool uppers only.

You are correct only on its exit will the colder air bocome an issue..if it exits

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

New E4 retains snow signal to low levels tomorrow anywhere N Wales northwards. .. equally it bolsters rain amounts Friday.

Not good ian, is it me or have you not really mentioned the MOGREPS today?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

New E4 retains snow signal to low levels tomorrow anywhere N Wales northwards. .. equally it bolsters rain amounts Friday.

How to win friends and influence them. Posted Image Jesting aside, not many non active days coming up it appears right out to the start of February perhaps, although I did hear on the TV forecasts, Saturday might be a quieter day, make the most of it. Thanks for the updates.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Models please.....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Northerly winds pulling in behind Sundays low pressure would surely bring hefty wintry showers down across the country by midweek. Finally a decent snap of winter looks odds on IMO. But yes, short term that low is looking worryingly menacing, there have been lots of issues in glos and the rain will certainly not be welcome

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

[quote name="gottolovethisweather" or much worst AJPOOLSHARK will be out with his joke book. Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Incredibly similar 12z GFS vs 18z GFS and at +192 or is it just me?

12zpost-16760-0-93577600-1390430353_thumb.j

18zpost-16760-0-04739800-1390430365_thumb.j

Almost impressive

Edited by karlos1983

Posted

Asian and Alaskan high on the move towards each steve at 276

Posted

th upcoming phase of modelling where a small depression with a bg thermal gradient around it deepens rapidly and tracks up to phase with an existing system, the new depression then swirling in situ and then drifting se across the UK. can't say I've seen this evolution too often. Anyone want to pick an analogue?

• Like 1