Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 19th January 2014-18z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Ukmo certainly hits the sweet spot this morning!!! Some proper cold uppers in the mix. Good consistency from this model, but overall an uncertain outlook. Often the way when a block to the east is being modelled.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Long way out and a bit IMBY but the GFS op not good for snow on the two potential days, late Thursday and Saturday next week. On the latter occasion the dewpoint only goes negative pre the front, when we are in a short wave ridge. eg Saturday:

post-14819-0-99382400-1390635876_thumb.p  post-14819-0-79489900-1390635891_thumb.p

The subsequent warm front clears the low DPs and though there could be some snow to rain on the leading edge on higher ground in the south it looks very transitory.

A better chance on the Thursday/Friday cold front from the NW for the south, though the track of the N Sea low currently suggests the south are borderline with regard to a warm sector:

post-14819-0-41308700-1390636414_thumb.p  post-14819-0-40374900-1390636436_thumb.p

So again higher ground for the south based on these very early charts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

JMA not looking too shabby this morning either, shame it only goes out to T84 on the 00z run. It would certainly feel like winter under this...

post-9615-0-26545400-1390636914_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Broadly they do seem fairly consistent - except for the area over the UK.

They can only be so different just 8 days out.

UK) Yesterdays deep trough from UK right down to Souther Europe, today low pressure NE of Scotland.

Atlantic) Yesterdays LP running NW/SE down displaced Azores high, today LP running W/NW over Atlantic ridge.

I honestly wouldn't call the ECM output consistent but it's all academic and just opinion, no right or wrong. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

It's always been about the track of sunday's stormy low and how it engages with that lovely huge cold block to the ne,, sunday looks severe, I said that low is a game changer in terms of breaking the shackles on the persistent mildish and stormy autumnal pattern of the last few months. I firmly believe we are on the cusp of a proper wintry spell.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Every morning I get up,look at the models thinking "this will be sorted out by now" and it still isn't! Posted Image

The UKMO is incredibly consistent though, and it's evolution simply cannot be ignored or dismissed.

GFS tends to thrash about like a fish on dry land in these setups, and I don't buy into a return to milder Atlantic driven weather any time soon. During our cold spell last year, it keep trying to bring back the Atlantic far too soon, it was wrong on so many occasions. Therefore I don't trust it's output, even more so its comedic precipitation charts which I mistakenly took far too seriously during the summer. They're awful at anything beyond about 48 hours, don't go there folks!

ECM however seems to be joining the GFS in not really knowing what to do with the current setup, which is unusual, because it usually copes with blocks better.

So I'm sticking with the UKMO for now as if it's the short term that dictates the longer pattern, then its consistency has to be taken seriously.

I hope people don't hang too much on the 06z GFS today either; it is not reliable and we should wait for the 12z suite today to find out any real developments.

• Like 2

Posted

Damn just deleted my post by accident and cannot be bothered to type it again.

Gist of what I was saying is in my opinion we shall see a blend of the current output being correct. What I mean by this is the ECM/GFS moving the block further W but just maybe the UKMO has it too far W.

Not convinced we shall see the type of E,ly the UKMO is projecting i.e classic snow shower due to very cold uppers. I believe a cold outlook with snowfall is possible but this is due to slider LPs rather than convective snowfall like the UKMO is suggesting.

The latest +72 fax chart is an exact copy of the UKMO model but then again they always are 99.9% of the time.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Remember back to last winter folks, UKMO took both the GFS/ECM and won.

This morning has been better slight shifts towards a dryer cold pattern as the NAGEM has joined forces with UKMO, JMA and GEM.

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Like 3

Posted

Interestingly Blue Tits have started checking out the nest boxes in my garden. I ponder which models they follow.

They don't, nature is reactive not presumptive. If nature were presumptive then we would never have spring frost damage because nature would have anticipated it.
  • Like 8

Posted

As others have said a mixed bag this morning, never mind dear old Shannon Entropy it looks more of a case of the Clint Eastwood’s this morning, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The UKMO keeps its theme and its consistency with a much more robust easterly. The GFS in many ways also consistent, just a different theme, a brief easterly before the return of the Atlantic in the form of some very cold PM air. Then there’s the ECM, a dog’s breakfast of a run, a brief easterly before becoming a right Jackson Pollock, more ammunition that maybe the ECM’s reputation for modelling blocking on our side of the pond is not that great.

Edited by weather eater
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Looks like another ECM op over amplification of the Atlantic Ridge if the T192 mean says anything:

OP: post-14819-0-93640600-1390638808_thumb.g  MEAN: post-14819-0-91620300-1390638822_thumb.g

MEAN T216: post-14819-0-03801100-1390638835_thumb.g  T240: post-14819-0-34553100-1390638898_thumb.g

Mixed signal from the D10 mean suggesting SE diving lows not the clear majority cluster and a more westerly regime also showing in the ens.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Any thoughts on the ECM ENS? Looks like it supports the op to me?

Posted

the ens are not supportive of the op.

they are a watered down version of the last few runs wrt the troughing backing sw. the mean has settled very close to the gefs post T144, though more bullish re the trough extending se into europe. this keeps us in the battleground but whereas the last three runs have indicated a strong likelihood of snowfall over much of the uk, this says much more 50/50 and likely incursions of less cold uppers from the sw at times. becomes more n/s as opposed to sw/ne if you get my drift.

the ens always seem to be skewed somewhat towards the op so i guess it means we have to see the trend on the 12z's. certainly a case of the vortex and azores ridge fighting back somewhat.

• Like 9

Posted

Hum. I wonder how the MetO see it. Yesterday they didnt back their own model 100%, but did give a large nod to the change. Cautious and considering how far out, rightly so.

I'm surprised to see the MetO and ECM so far away from each other. Saying that, the ECM isn't mild either. People seem hung up on the westerly and zonal, but it still looks to be below average temperature wise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

It's always been about the track of sunday's stormy low and how it engages with that lovely huge cold block to the ne,, sunday looks severe, I said that low is a game changer in terms of breaking the shackles on the persistent mildish and stormy autumnal pattern of the last few months. I firmly believe we are on the cusp of a proper wintry spell.

Yes we need to arrive at Sunday night first, then the models/data would likely have a better idea of next week. My personal view point on this is only mild flirts, I cannot imagine the Scandi high losing grip not the characteristic of such a situation that we have now. From experience with set ups unfolding like the oncoming there is great uncertainty, therefore no one I expect can say for certain what the late next week would bring...

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost
Posted · Hidden by ZONE 51, January 25, 2014 - ----------------
Hidden by ZONE 51, January 25, 2014 - ----------------

Cool, is that a new info bar above my post!??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Good output this morning from UKMO in particular and so - so, from the others.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The ECM ENS for Reading still show a cold trend

Posted Image

The Op on the mild side of the suite and considerable spread after day 6 so confirming the uncertainty.

On the UKMO it's nice to see METO for the first time suggesting some wintry showers for the SE

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday:

Strong winds and blustery heavy showers on Monday, these perhaps wintry. Further showers on Tuesday, sometimes heavy, with strong winds. Colder later on Wednesday with wintry showers.

Updated: 0518 on Sat 25 Jan 2014

Suggesting they are going with their GM model.Posted Image

Edited by Purga
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Hum. I wonder how the MetO see it. Yesterday they didnt back their own model 100%, but did give a large nod to the change. Cautious and considering how far out, rightly so.I'm surprised to see the MetO and ECM so far away from each other. Saying that, the ECM isn't mild either. People seem hung up on the westerly and zonal, but it still looks to be below average temperature wise.

Yes agree, As Fergie said yesterday regarding back to Westerly/Zonal, it's not going to be back to mild Westerly in fact far from it. A N/W flow in Jan/Feb is not mild by any means. Ice/snow/bitter winds i would expect.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 6

Posted

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the METO has the highest resolution upto 72 hours. Given that the divergence is before this timeframe that might be important on this occasion.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm pretty sure it's going to be cold in 5-6 days time, but is it from the East or the North West? Tough one. I know which outcome I'd be rooting for Posted Image

Posted

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the METO has the highest resolution upto 72 hours. Given that the divergence is before this timeframe that might be important on this occasion.

ECM op is a higher resolution throughout, inc the first 72 hours where ukmo is indeed running at a higher res than thereafter.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Big differences between ECM, GFS and UKMO at t144 again this morning, its UKMO v GFS and ECM

ECM shows the cold air out east but never makes it here

Posted Image

UKMO on the other hand brings in the cold air big style

Posted Image

GFS not massively cold either like ECM

Posted Image

Away from the big 3 GEM is the closest to UKMO

Posted Image

NAVGEM is chilly in the north but no where near as cold as what UKMO would be

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

ECM op is a higher resolution throughout, inc the first 72 hours where ukmo is indeed running at a higher res than thereafter.

But is it possible to tell of the 2 which runs at the higher res for the 1st 72 hours. Edited by TSNWK