Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 19th January 2014-18z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

Well I certainly will not be waxing the skies just jet.I see no reason to

change my initial thoughts of rather cold with some hill snow next week.

Perhaps the chance of something more wintry further south from t168 onwards

but unlikely to see any proper cold laying snow until February now.

Just like the ECM op I have not been overlly impressed by it ens members

either this winter.

Anybody forget to mention the UKMO model tonight synoptics look ok but lack

of cold air is a problem.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

HOLY COW.. we should bring back snow watch Posted Image Posted Image

And lamp watch tooPosted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Well the 18z just goes to show what would happen it the initial Low pressure system merges with another, stalls and takes it's time to shift south. 

The cold air is readily mixed out and the really cold air stays far out to the East of the UK, we never really tap into it at all. 

I'd say that given the current output that rain is by far going to be the major concern. 

It's a case of rinse and repeat on this run, the Atlantic onslaught just shows no sign of backing down and round after round it's winning hands down over the block to the East, which just stays in situ. 

so the 12z showed a Bartlett beginning to take shape in the later stages, this run shows a relentless Atlantic steam. 

The Met Office clearly under the impression that the NW effected by the most unsettled weather with the SE seeing the best of the dry weather, which is indicative of somewhere in between the 12z and 18z GFS runs. 

And a classic + NAO outlook. 

Sadly I think this is going to end up as yet another missed opportunity and time is beginning to run out. 

• Like 2

Posted

Well I certainly will not be waxing the skies just jet.I see no reason tochange my initial thoughts of rather cold with some hill snow next week.Perhaps the chance of something more wintry further south from t168 onwardsbut unlikely to see any proper cold laying snow until February now.Just like the ECM op I have not been overlly impressed by it ens memberseither this winter.Anybody forget to mention the UKMO model tonight synoptics look ok but lackof cold air is a problem.

UKMO looks pretty decent with low heights and thicknesses and sub -4 850's?

Posted

Well I certainly will not be waxing the skies just jet.I see no reason tochange my initial thoughts of rather cold with some hill snow next week.Perhaps the chance of something more wintry further south from t168 onwardsbut unlikely to see any proper cold laying snow until February now.Just like the ECM op I have not been overlly impressed by it ens memberseither this winter.Anybody forget to mention the UKMO model tonight synoptics look ok but lackof cold air is a problem.

I tend to agree with this as things stand tonight. Marginal won't cut it this year either as the soil temps will be an issue.That said, it will be interesting to see how things develop tomorrow as I can see some interesting possibilities down the line. For the moment though the sledge remains stowed in the garage but the lifeboat remains close at hand!If you live up a hill or in the NE though, interesting times ahead. Down here in the SE a sleetfest I'd imagine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

It looks like the NAE has finally been trashed on the weatheronline website. 

post-17320-0-49308400-1390518467_thumb.p

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

London 12z on the mild side then

post-16760-0-37398700-1390518751_thumb.j

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted

As things stand, the UKMO concerns re snow (though still insufficient confidence for warnings) are for the NE and also in the wrap-around across SW on Monday. Modified GM T+96 attached to illustrate this.Posted ImageScreenshot_2014-01-23-23-03-18-1.png

Would it possible for your thoughts on any snowfall potential on Sunday please?

Yesterdays forecast was showing two big blobs over N.England/Scotland 

post-8968-0-99038200-1390518667_thumb.pn

Today's forecast don't show the map just the forecast for selected cities on Sunday. 

I have a sleet symbol for Sunday where I am (Leeds Bradford airport 210M) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

As things stand, the UKMO concerns re snow (though still insufficient confidence for warnings) are for the NE and also in the wrap-around across SW on Monday. Modified GM T+96 attached to illustrate this.Posted ImageScreenshot_2014-01-23-23-03-18-1.png

Are the snow showers being modelled as mostly on windward coasts or could they push further inland? Or is it too soon for that sort of detail to be picked up?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

London 12z on the mild side then

I take it you mean the Op and not the suit. Posted Image

Colder than the 00z set with the 31st almost an ice day according to the mean, hmmm.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

One thing is for sure, the weather from Sunday onwards will be headline news. Question is will it be further flooding or significant snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I take it you mean the Op and not the suit. Posted Image

Colder than the 00z set with the 31st almost an ice day according to the mean, hmmm.

Yes sorry, I wish the mean lol
  • Like 1

Posted

Are the snow showers being modelled as mostly on windward coasts or could they push further inland? Or is it too soon for that sort of detail to be picked up?

Inland. All models (albeit likes of E4 are much better) are known to be deficient with inland shower penetration. Plus wrap-around likely a more coherent entity anyway. Edited by fergieweather
  • Like 6

Posted

Updated EC32 broadly in line with previous updates; a propensity for lower heights to our nw, with any negative anomaly in Europe fading as we progress through Feb. Temperature trending below average at the 5k level, before we lose the negative anomaly as we progress further into Feb.

Edited by draztik
  • Like 4

Posted

The GEFS ensembles are mixed but there was one which stood out in terms of being very unusual number 16 at T156hrs shows a pool of - 8 to -12 uppers approaching Ireland from the wnw! That's incredibly rare to see the depth of cold surviving the sea modification.

That one also looks like a big snow event ! Feb 1996 revisited! A bit different in all honesty but its a slider which turns into a Channel Low.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted

Inland. All models (albeit likes of E4 are much better) are known to be deficient with inland shower penetration. Plus wrap-around likely a more coherent entity anyway.

Will this stand for the North Midlands Ian? Edited by laheymichele

Posted

The GEFS ensembles are mixed but there was one which stood out in terms of being very unusual number 16 at T156hrs shows a pool of - 8 to 12 uppers approaching Ireland from the wnw! That's incredibly rare to see the depth of cold surviving the sea modification.

That one also looks like a big snow event !

Yes, my favourite is probably number nine, and shows the potential of any colder snap to become a colder spell!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=192&code=9&mode=0&carte=0 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Re Monday - yes, Dep Chief confirming likely easterly movement of wintry ppn into some southern-central areas with time (not expected disruptive for those districts at present), but current E4 PPN discrimination, albeit not yet to be taken too literally, highlights Bristol-B&NES- to S of M4 corridor; parts of Devon/SW Somerset etc at greatest risk of what could be disruptive snow/hail/ice issues (because potentially phasing with AM rush hr rather than because of amounts per se). I'm not allowed to copy the high-res charts; sorry... but it's an interesting signal.

Thank you for this, very interesting. In a region where wintry weather is exciting no matter what the extent of it is, this possibility is certainly appreciated! It will be interesting to see how this develops

• Like 1