Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 19th January 2014-18z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

ECM still wants to push the block away in deep FI while GFS wants to undercut under the block. Looking the panel maps in deep FI the unde cutting low is one option under ECM at T240. Yup FI watching I know. ECM being too progressive in deep FI????

Posted

Cmon fergie blast us with a wintry update today!!folks at the office must be a little more confident now of a wintry outbreak which many of us have been ccraving for a long time!!ecm has has improved this this morning but more especialyy the gfs!!and there's no words to describe the ukmo its just fantastic in its consistency!!

Yes things shaping up nicely this morning but the METO won’t get overly carried away with model projections out at 120-144hrs simply because these are still subject to much revision, that view will of course change over the next couple of days if we see more support across the further model suites.

Edited by weather eater
  • Like 2

Posted

I am sure there is a thread on here somewhere bout the approaching rain / poss deep low pressure.

Just to clarify - this thread is for model discussion - and that can cover all weather types, and from short to longer range so long as the discussion is model related. Yes, severe weather general threads are available when 'events' are likely or ongoing, and of course there are general weather chat threads too, but either way anything model related is fine in this thread.

• Like 4

Posted

This area circled red is an important detail, this is an area of much colder 850's, all the models have this, but they take it in different directions afterwards because of the shape and positioning of their respective low as it sinks to the south.

This is the UKMO at T96hrs:

post-1206-0-80001700-1390464880_thumb.gi

If the low tracks further to the west at the initial stage and then slides ese/se this much colder upper air has a better chance of getting advected into the circulation.

The ECM and GFS take this cold 850's more to the nw because of their less favourable low.

You can see on the ECM postage stamps very good agreement for low pressure near or over the UK at T120hrs but theres alot of variation with the shape and positioning of the low:

http://www.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/teasers/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!120!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2014010912!!/

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 4

Posted

I wonder if Ian could let us know what kind of dp's are indicated by the ukmo GM days 5 thru 7? although looks more than promising, it could be a settling scenario more on hills than lower down?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Cmon fergie blast us with a wintry update today!!folks at the office must be a little more confident now of a wintry outbreak which many of us have been ccraving for a long time!!ecm has has improved this this morning but more especialyy the gfs!!and there's no words to describe the ukmo its just fantastic in its consistency!!

As he has said a dozen times, rain is their focus.
  • Like 6

The ECM ensemble mean looks better than the actual operational run, also the spreads show the pattern further west past at T168hrs.

I'd expect to see an increase in colder solutions when the ECM De Bilt ensembles come out shortly.

Great news Nick-

Certainly those trumpetting the Atlantic only yesterday might be rethinking their views this morningPosted Image

The ukmo 00z is a peach, it's sublime, it's poetry in motion with strengthening height rises to the north east / north and that stormy slider low on sunday gradually enabling much colder air to dig further south & west. If the ukmo or something similar verifies, next week will be a snow fest with ice days and blizzards..it's a carlsberg run, an upgrade on yesterday even. The fuse has been lit by the ukmo Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Thats ma boy :D

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I've been a member since 2005 & have been quietly following this winter. IMHO ECM has been poor this & last winter - a model that traditionaly managed to model high latitude blocking reasonably well has been overly progressive this season - This is a strong Scandinavian block but unfortunatley I feel that we will always be on the periphery of it - as has been the case in recent winters - Still waiting for the elusive Greenland/Icelandic High

Edited by Jonathan Evans
  • Like 1

Posted

Great news Nick-

Certainly those trumpetting the Atlantic only yesterday might be rethinking their views this morningPosted Image

The key is where the block is at T168hrs, and it could still go either way, essentially the spreads at T192hrs show the Azores high displaced further to the west and troughing running from Iberia right upto Iceland.

The Atlantic is though likely to get very close to the UK even with the better blocking but the issue is how much energy disrupts se rather than just ne.

Theres still however a hurdle to jump earlier with getting a clearance of upstream energy to allow the block further sw, at the moment thats still not a given so I'm going to remain calm and not theatrical for the timebeing! I know makes a change!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

The ECM ensemble mean looks better than the actual operational run, also the spreads show the pattern further west past at T168hrs. There is a cluster of solutions which disrupt troughing to the west of the UK  with low pressure further west over Iberia. If we can get a decent block to the north before the next Atlantic push then theres a decent chance of an extension to the cold. I'd expect to see an increase in colder solutions when the ECM De Bilt ensembles come out shortly.

agreed nick good mean.and the turning point for myself was 12z ecm more/ less getting solution ukmo, and from that point had possibly an upgrades for perhaps not only gettint the cold in, but to start the look for possible prolongment.could start seeing good solid modeling of a firmer shutdown of the pesky pond(Atlantic). Good evolution to date,.
  • Like 1

Posted

The key is where the block is at T168hrs, and it could still go either way, essentially the spreads at T192hrs show the Azores high displaced further to the west and troughing running from Iberia right upto Iceland.

The Atlantic is though likely to get very close to the UK even with the better blocking but the issue is how much energy disrupts se rather than just ne.

Theres still however a hurdle to jump earlier with getting a clearance of upstream energy to allow the block further sw, at the moment thats still not a given so I'm going to remain calm and not theatrical for the timebeing! I know makes a change!

But of course Nick, getting the Atlantic close is not all bad, we get battleground events.

Edited by Whiteout74
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Here is an archive from Jan 1978 a similar evolution.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/reana/1978/archives-1978-1-19-0-0.png

A winter with heights to the north /east after New Year.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

But of course Nick, getting the Atlantic close is not all bad, we get battleground events.

thats also another option to look for on the models.so makes for good viewing east to west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Not sure how many more UKMO runs I can view from behind the sofa, really would help to the ECM/GFS painting a similar position with regards to that low.

The GFS does show that we can find snow another way, wth some cold air filtering westwards allowing the next Atlantic attack to fall as snow, although not ideal if your looking for prolonged cold spell, but after the winter so far I'm sure most of us would be more than happy with a short frontal snowfall event.

Posted Image

Let us l take a moment to pray that the UKMO is on the ball this time round. AMEN

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Im quite confused.com ive been reading the posts above Gibbys which seemed to be positive for coldies and then i read Gibbys???

Well i'm just taking the ukmo run at face value, and what a face for 2 days in a row it screams wintry from the top of it's lungs, the fat lady won't be singing , she won't even make it out of her dressing room if anything like the epic ukmo 00z verifies.... me too vizzy

post-4783-0-49728900-1390468112.jpg

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted

Even with the current UKMO output and other models starting to follow suite in their own ways , i still err on the edge of cuation , still many 'proffessional' local forecasters ... even up to 10 minutes ago !! must be seeing something i and others on here dont within the latest output as, and i quote ' snow is possible next week but is unlikely to be of any concern' , granted thats for IMBY ... but far from what i was expecting , hopefully Fergie will shed a bit of light ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Ok, using UKMO which is a superb run for cold, IMO le crunch is close.......t72

Posted Image

to this at t96

Posted Image

The leap of faith of SE sliding.......however, we ain't looking at t168 leap of faith...............this could be the door to finally get us in......or will it get slammed shut in our faces.  Surely this time???? 

There is another serious cold surge for the US, and this run shows that as it goes on, so it ain't outlandish.  This winter seems to be catching most of us wrong footed, and I for one don't know where we are going with this. 

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 5

Posted

Just to clarify - this thread is for model discussion - and that can cover all weather types, and from short to longer range so long as the discussion is model related. Yes, severe weather general threads are available when 'events' are likely or ongoing, and of course there are general weather chat threads too, but either way anything model related is fine in this thread.

Indeed my post about 15 above yours says "Sure it will and should be discussed in here" also I explain,there my reasons for that post to Gibby which was to enable him to access the info he was after.

Posted

Yes im not sure how Gibby can say the window has closed a little more for cold this morning.If anything the wintry charts have upgraded since yesterday....

As im not brill at reading the models i look to others for opinions but sometimes when scrolling down we go from....Get the BBQ out to get ya sledge dusted off to umbrellas at the ready Atlantic here to stay.
  • Like 2