Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 19th January 2014-18z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

"unusually cold for the direction...

So the westerly flow would be  picking up a colder than normal [airmass]in it's circulation then would usually be the case, bringing a higher risk of rain turning to snow.

Interesting post makes for a more exciting model watch having some unusual elements added into the mix.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Just looking at the ECM @192hrs (next Tue) low sitting over N.Sea with associated cold pool:

Posted Image

SP

Posted Image

Height 500hpa can see the cold pool 528dm.

Posted Image

SP+850s ( -5 )

Interesting times ahead!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

0z almost identical to the 18z in the hi-res. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Now that's what I call a dartboard low meandering towards us over the weekend on the 0z gfs. As the scandi block slows its eastward movement it could cause some major problems as it slowly moves south through the uk. I can see why Ian F and the meto are concerned about coastal problems not to mention rainfall amounts.

Hopefully we will have something more positive cold wise after the next set of storms move through. I think a lot of coldies have that half way holiday head on at the minute where you know the holiday is due to come to an end but we all know from recent years the cold weather does not follow the meteorological calendar.

On a side note we had an inch of snow/hail in benidorm in november. First time in 40 years. Definitely a strange winter for the record.

http://www.elmundo.es/comunidad-valenciana/2013/11/27/5296161d63fd3dea388b4573.html

post-8844-0-46578200-1390281292_thumb.pn

post-8844-0-00791500-1390282729_thumb.jp

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

It still doesn't seem to have a handle on how to model high pressure across the Arctic that's for sure.

GEM is a bit far East with the pattern but it was till looking pretty good out to day 6 until falls apart later by refusing to pushing the trough into Europe as you would expect and instead stalls and fills it over the UK. (seem familiar?) I really hope that doesn't happen again some peoples heads will explode for sure.

Posted ImagePosted Image

UKMO looks pretty decent too with the pattern further West than GEM but we could still do with more amplification upstream.

Posted Image

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Not overly impressed with the 0z runs if im being honest-

The opportunity exists for northern elevated areas as we head through next week but for those in the south and i dare say most of England and Wales its just unsettled cold rain im afraid.

Quick check of the uppers on the UKMO 0z run leaves me underwhelmed for the friday rain to rain event.

We have ECM to come but yesterdays optimism has dropped a bit,we just cant seem to shake that spawn of satan Polar Vortex,if i see oranges and yellows up there in spring/summer my head will explode with rage!

It still doesn't seem to have a handle on how to model high pressure across the Arctic that's for sure.

GEM is a bit far East with the pattern but it was till looking pretty good out to day 6 until falls apart later by refusing to pushing the trough into Europe as you would expect and instead stalls and fills it over the UK. (seem familiar?) I really hope that doesn't happen again some peoples heads will explode for sure.

Posted ImagePosted Image

UKMO looks pretty decent too with the pattern further West than GEM but we could still do with more amplification upstream.

Posted Image

Dont see much 'decent' about the ukmo mucka? Maybe the zonality which will follow will be of a cooler variety but i'd imagine it will be nothing but a pain in the backside for soggy Britain(or 99%of it).:(

Some really cold Ens at around T200, many with cold and quite strong Easterly flows

Trouble is we never see them on the op runs!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Some really cold Ens at around T200, many with cold and quite strong Easterly flows

Yes the first couple of perturbations to usher in a prolonged cold spell have arrived this morning, 9 and 16 though others are generally on the cool/cold side at times.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I dare say the SE would be buried if 16 verified.

Coldest set of ensembles for some time. 

SE England

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=297&y=126

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=297&y=126&run=0&runpara=0&type=3&ext=1

NW England

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=236&y=37

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=236&y=37&run=0&runpara=0&type=3&ext=1

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted

In the interest of balance- for the mild fans I feel it only fair to pluck some eye candy from the ensembles. Possibly the most +AO chart I have ever see. PV almost totally circular. http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gens/run/gensnh-9-1-372.png?12 SPS yes chiono

Lol That now shows high pressure to the north of the UK with an easterly flow.
  • Like 8

Posted

Dont see much 'decent' about the ukmo mucka? Maybe the zonality which will follow will be of a cooler variety but i'd imagine it will be nothing but a pain in the backside for soggy Britain(or 99%of it).Posted Image

Well it would be better if the trough was disrupting more efficiently with more energy getting under the block and some more amplification upstream and even more Westward shift wouldn't go amiss certainly but so long as the low cleared SE into Europe and didn't stall over the UK like the GEM we would have a decent chance.

The Atlantic will undoubtedly get in anyway around the mid range and we've known that for sometime, it is all about clearing the energy SE into Europe and getting a decent ridge behind and there is no way of knowing how well UKMO achieves either of those as we would need another 2 charts but it is a sound run on the basis of the Arctic high linking strongly with the Scandi ridge so there can be no typical zonal conditions in that sense - the low can only stall or be forced SE.

I'm not in love with it but it's a decent chart IMO

Posted

And what was the18z like to be "almost" identical to the 00z? some viewers might have missed outputs.

Certainly interesting is the BIG word today.

Posted

Fairly decent agreement between ECM and UKMO at 120h with GFS more progressive and really struggling with the Arctic high even by 120h it seems.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edit

Posted Image

ECM 144h again decent agreement with UKMO on overall synoptic but marginally better in some key areas so it will be interesting to see how this run evolves from here. I'm hopeful of a JMA type run but will that low clear into Europe efficiently?

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted

@192/GFS 00z:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

***snowrisk***

post-11361-0-43083300-1390286017_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted

ECM 168h looks like the fuse is lit, can we get a Boom at 192?

Posted Image

Need the low over the UK to clear South and low pressure to the NW stall and disrupt on SW tip of Greenland with most of the energy being forced NE

Edit

Just realised I've been commentating, sorry about that. Anyway here is the ECM 192h - not quite there.

Posted Image

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Nice way for the run to end

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014012100/ECH1-216.GIF?21-12

A few more headaches for the UKMO this morning.1050Mb High thats what i call flexing ones muscles.

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 7

Posted

ECM run very decent this morning.

The wretched Azores High has moved away to the SW in the latter stages of the run - even though there is some energy crossing the Atlantic, there is scope for favourable trough disruption.

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Think model fatigue has def kicked in this morning

The ECM is a very good run for the 0z much better than of late

Dare I say even agreement with the ukmo @120

Think this is what Steve m was saying with looking for evolution

Hoping for a boom set of 12z

More twists and turns to come but happy that ECM is smelling the coffee

All IMO of course

Edited by snowbob
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

ECM run very decent this morning. The wretched Azores High has moved away to the SW in the latter stages of the run - even though there is some energy crossing the Atlantic, there is scope for favourable trough disruption.

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/6114/ECH1-216_cmy4.GIFhttp://images.meteociel.fr/im/6067/gfsnh-0-216_krg8.pngInteresting, differences at T 216 as one would expect but high pressure to the ne on both. Still think we will need a couple more days to see some consistency in terms of what happens to the low and how far south it goes. The end of the month is still looking good IMO.
  • Like 2

Posted

Quite a lot of support in the GEFS this morning for the low to drop south and pull in a lee easterly. Most members quickly ramp up the Atlantic thereafter but that's normal.

I'd say the opp doesn't have much support really and taking into account the other models something like ECM shows must be the form horse.

Overall then, good this morning and I'd say best outputs this winter. That's probably not a great benchmark to use though :-)

• Like 1

Some excellent runs this morning and you have to say what the ECM is predicting is the most likely based on the model runs over the past few days. My only reservation is something I mentioned many days ago and that is the importance of the LP moving S of the UK. The UKMO is also heading the same way as the ECM.

Looking at the GEFS ensembles I think this is the first time this winter the mean has dropped below -5C for my location. Just shows what a crap winter it has been so far!

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/ensimages/ens.20140121/00/t850Cambridgeshire.png

I can see the Met O outlook changing to a more wintry outlook. Have to be honest I haven't agreed with there outlook these past few days as it appears out of kilter with the model output.

Agreed TEITS-Surely the meto have to take into account GEFS0Z and the ECM?