Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 19th January 2014-18z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters

Steve - if the JMA is correct why do the metoffice not buy it? I'm all for optimism but to say the professionals are wrong is a step too far IMO

Hi Tim With all due respect and I promise I don't want to offend you. But what is the point of looking at models and reading this fine thread if people keep on defaulting back to Met office further outlooks they do get it wrong.
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.

Steve - if the JMA is correct why do the metoffice not buy it? I'm all for optimism but to say the professionals are wrong is a step too far IMO

Don't poo poo it. We're getting ready for a snow fest. Gotta love Steve for his bullish forecasts !
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

If the ECM output was early winter it would be okay, high to the ne forcing the jet se, not desperately cold but some wintriness. Okay to fill a bit of time whilst you wait for better synoptics to arrive, because of the lack of cold and snow thus far and time ticking on its a lesson in frustration because the high is well placed to the ne if you didn't have the PV from hell firing at you relentlessly.

Whilst you don't see a clearance of energy between troughing near the UK and the PV theres no chance of any decent cold, unless you have the pattern much further west which at this stage seems unlikely so that's really what it comes down to here.

Clearance=cold

Non-clearance=average to cool, okay for the mountains

This is the energy that is the decider here:

Posted ImageECH1-192.gif

Whilst you have those low heights attached to low pressure near the UK then you won't be able to get any real cold uppers in, if that clears the Arctic high could extend further sw, then the next low ejected by the PV will be forced more se to the west of the UK.

If of course someone orders a huge westward correction you don't mind the phasing upstream because you'll be on the colder eastern flank of low pressure but that's very unlikely so as it stands its down to the clearance of energy.

The ECM at T240hrs finally gets a clearance but its still too close for comfort and you have to factor in that this only happens because the Arctic high remains strong, I wouldn't trust the ECM with that, indeed any model at that range so I think we need a much earlier clearance of energy.

If the ECM output was early winter it would be okay, high to the ne forcing the jet se, not desperately cold but some wintriness. Okay to fill a bit of time whilst you wait for better synoptics to arrive, because of the lack of cold and snow thus far and time ticking on its a lesson in frustration because the high is well placed to the ne if you didn't have the PV from hell firing at you relentlessly.

Whilst you don't see a clearance of energy between troughing near the UK and the PV theres no chance of any decent cold, unless you have the pattern much further west which at this stage seems unlikely so that's really what it comes down to here.

Clearance=cold

Non-clearance=average to cool, okay for the mountains

This is the energy that is the decider here:

Posted ImageECH1-192.gif

Whilst you have those low heights attached to low pressure near the UK then you won't be able to get any real cold uppers in, if that clears the Arctic high could extend further sw, then the next low ejected by the PV will be forced more se to the west of the UK.

If of course someone orders a huge westward correction you don't mind the phasing upstream because you'll be on the colder eastern flank of low pressure but that's very unlikely so as it stands its down to the clearance of energy.

The ECM at T240hrs finally gets a clearance but its still too close for comfort and you have to factor in that this only happens because the Arctic high remains strong, I wouldn't trust the ECM with that, indeed any model at that range so I think we need a much earlier clearance of energy.

Great post Nick, looking at it on wetter at 240 we have the only clearance in the northern hemisphere which is what we need to bring it this way, high pressure always wants to head south and if ours is the only door open, its will kindly come for tea :)
  • Like 3

Posted

Looking at the ECM,and GFS t192 charts and the JMA at t168

the similarities are obvious. There are of course some differences

which you would expect at the 7 to 8 day range but with a Arctic

high sitting over the pole and an Azores high wanting to ridge north

I woul not bet against the JMA tonight.

post-10506-0-33280000-1390246866_thumb.p post-10506-0-88326700-1390246913_thumb.p

post-10506-0-96396200-1390246939_thumb.g

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

JMA Verification for up till November 2013. Quite impressive:

Posted Imageacc_z500_recent_week_nh.png

Have you got a link for that? Why does it only go out to last November?

Posted

Looking through the various models, it's obvious why the Met Office are making their current calls for the medium term.  Not saying that they will continue to be right, but so far this winter they have been pretty much spot on in the 6-15 day range.

Kudos to them - well done!

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Have you got a link for that? Why does it only go out to last November?

Hihttp://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/verif/1mE/index.htmlI assume they do their own verification, unlike the other models, so it takes a bit longer. They are also compiled as a monthly package not rolling daily like NOAA, and are based on their weekly anomaly charts rather than the daily runs. Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 1

Posted

Hihttp://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/verif/1mE/index.htmlI assume they do their own verification, unlike the other models, so it takes a bit longer. They are also compiled as a monthly package not rolling daily like NOAA, and are based on their weekly anomaly charts rather than the daily runs.

Theres also this link which is good to have an easy comparison between the main global models including the JMA:

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/12Z/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Yes I asked Ian about that earlier as he didn't mention any snow risk for Thursday. Hopefully he will update later or tomorrow.

Posted

Hi Tim With all due respect and I promise I don't want to offend you. But what is the point of looking at models and reading this fine thread if people keep on defaulting back to Met office further outlooks they do get it wrong.

I don't think it's the Met's Further Outlook he's referring to, more Ian F's (paraphrasing) "there will hardly be any snow, but there is a concern over rain, and then we're back to westerlies". But on the other hand he did say that the Met really respect the JMA (we already knew that from him saying the same last winter). So with the JMA being quite bullish, then it's all a bit confused.com. At least we have the whole of Feb and 10 days of Feb. I make that 5 weeks.......but don't forget what happened last March!
  • Like 2

Posted

Strongly disagree, Since their very poor long range forecasts of the past they decided to play safe and sit on the fence. A big freeze has to be set in stone before they make announcements. Most of the more experienced members on nw could do a 6-15 day forecast based on data available. The met office have to be cagey because they are open to ridicule whereas nw members are not under the same scrutiny when they announce a raging easterly that doesn't materialise!

Boom. Straight in there.. Welcome.
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild winters, wet & windy summers

Boom. Straight in there.. Welcome.

Sorry, I've been lurking for a while but not posting. Anyway thanks for the welcome, I'll try to be constructive and not fall into the groaning category. I'll just say its forgivable for the current despondency as we have been wishing the westerly regime away since November. Things are looking up now for the coldies!
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Theres also this link which is good to have an easy comparison between the main global models including the JMA:

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/12Z/

Cheers, often look at the 0z stats, but didn't realise the 12z stats had the JMA on it. Currently, on a par GFS and better than GEM but trailing the Euros.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well the ECM ens have a NW/SE tilt on the jet, but with the pattern too far east so it's a generally west/north westerly flow. I'm guessing the op is in the minority in getting the Arctic ridge to push towards Greenland and instead transfer in to the north east of the UK, reinforcing the Scandi high and forces near enough all the Atlantic energy south east. Well we finally might get a decent Euro trough.

Simply put it's not great at face value for the UK, but it would not take much to become epic.

De Bilt looks rather chilly :)

Atlantic ridge... where art thou???

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted

Just catching up with the models (before reading this thread), but what I have noticed with the ECM is that when clicking between T+ 168 > T+192 to T+216 the evolution jumped wrt to the Atlantic low moving east between the latter two, so much so that I assumed that I had not clicked correctly and missed a day out. What I had expected to see was more in line with the JMA. So I think that there could be some surprises in store in this respect.

Lol, did exactly the same....for those wondering what were on about, here is the +144, look at the orientation of the low exiting Canada, heading NE, WAA up western Greenland screaming for an Atlantic ridge: 

post-2071-0-38929200-1390250501_thumb.gi

Then it suddenly does a 90 degree turn and heads east!

post-2071-0-10580900-1390250518_thumb.gi

• Like 1

Posted

& the updated ensembles for ECM. Operational is the MILDEST run. http://www.knmi.nl/exp/pluim/Data/PLUIM_06260_NWT.png In short. The best set of short ensembles of the year with the -20c scale being used of the first time.S

steve I seriously dont think this is over yet!!I have been analysing the charts over the past couple of hours and all it needs is a 100 mile or 200 hundred mile shift at t96 to make a good snow event!!see what the 00z runs bring and if it still shows the same then maybe a give up but not yet!!
  • Like 2