Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Sun has "gone to sleep"

Gaz1985

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Is a mini ice age on the way? Scientists warn the Sun has 'gone to sleep' and say it could cause temperatures to plunge

• 2013 was due to be year of the 'solar maximum'
  • Researchers say solar activity is at a fraction of what they expect
  • Conditions 'very similar' a time in 1645 when a mini ice age hit 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2541599/Is-mini-ice-age-way-Scientists-warn-Sun-gone-sleep-say-cause-temperatures-plunge.html#addComment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25743806

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

What makes me chuckle is that they say their predictions about high solar activity haven't come to fruition but they are predicting another possible 'maunder minimum' in 40 years time? Nothing to see here folks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Ahhh..yet more scientists predicting doom and gloom - as if we need any more!

Warming, cooling, all now getting a tad tedious to be honest - which reminds me, the once quite popular group Bucks Fizz used to sing.."making your mind up" Posted Image

2014 - the year 'scientists' come clean and do just that. Make up their ruddy minds.

Isn't science like that though, triple x? Trying to determine the unknown and then again, nature rules over us so why should us mere mortals even think we can attempt to answer such questions regarding the climate, the sun or whatever, anyhow.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

It seems the mail has poached a piece from Newsnight ( linked over in the enviro thread) which was a tad 'old' in that it made no reference to the recent papers that showed that the low solar was only a small part of the jigsaw of influences that brought us the L.I.A.?

As it is the piece did tell us that such a min was at least 40yrs away ( and up to 200yrs away) and had a 10 to 20% probability of occurring.......with the other scientist reminding us of what a changed world we live in today and wondering whether we'd even notice the impacts behind the AGW forcings.

For those who need to worry about things then better to focus on the changes we have brought about over the past century or so?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

It's warble gloaming....that's what it is. :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What makes me chuckle is that they say their predictions about high solar activity haven't come to fruition but they are predicting another possible 'maunder minimum' in 40 years time? Nothing to see here folks!

Yes, but now they've got the GW spectics rooting for them? Not that that'll make so much as an iota of difference though...

Posted

Yes, but now they've got the GW spectics rooting for them? Not that that'll make so much as an iota of difference though...

It's what us 'spectics' have known all along - glad to see the proper scientists will,eventually gain the upper hand over all this AGW lunacy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I love the Herrings "flash frozen" of off Norway at -7.8C, it ties in with this lot a Peach. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/weird-news/harsh-wind-hits-norwegian-bay-so-suddenly-that-thousands-of-fish-are-flashfrozen-9068088.html

Posted

It's what us 'spectics' have known all along - glad to see the proper scientists will,eventually gain the upper hand over all this AGW lunacy.

Talking about lunacy and proper scientists.

David Deming

• Ph.D, geophysics, University of Utah (1988). 
  • B.S., geology, Indiana University (1983). 
  • National Research Council postdoctoral fellowship at the US Geological Survey in California.

"Global warming has long since passed from scientific hypothesis to the realm of pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo."

And countless other rubbish but none as distasteful as this.

Sexual harassment charges

In February 2000, Deming wrote a letter criticizing Yale University student Joni Kletter's February 18, 2000, syndicated article on gun control published in the University of Oklahoma's student newspaper, The Oklahoma Daily—a letter for which the professor was charged for sexual harassment. In her article, Kletter had claimed that "easy access to a handgun allows everyone in this country . . . to quickly and easily kill as many random people as they want." In his rebuttal, Deming wrote

"I just want to point out that Kletter's 'easy access' to a vagina enables her to 'quickly and easily' have sex with 'as many random people' as she wants. Her possession of an unregistered vagina also equips her to work as a prostitute and spread venereal diseases. Let's hope Kletter is as responsible with her equipment as most gun owners are with theirs."

Thank god for proper scientists.

Edited by knocker

Posted

If the title of the article were "The Sun might go to sleep sometime soon", I'd give it more credence.

It's been quiet as solar maxima go (even though it's nearly three years since there wasn't at least one spot visible on the Sun every day), true. As far as AGW or not goes, it would be equally possible to say that the general low level of activity on the Sun in the last cycle has counter-acted the effects of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

"Proper scientists". Are those the ones employed by oil companies as opposed to the ones with degrees in meteorology or climatology?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

What makes me laugh is the quote from the BBC "Cold, snowy Winters could become the norm in Europe"............well duh they ARE the norm for more than half of Europe, it's only west and south of Hanover where it's milder. (excluding the Alps)

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted

What makes me laugh is the quote from the BBC "Cold, snowy Winters could become the norm in Europe"............well duh they ARE the norm for more than half of Europe, it's only west and south of Hanover where it's milder. (excluding the Alps)

That's not quite true. It's been exceptionally mild in Moscow, so much so they were complaining, prior to the cold spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

Can anyone say for definite?We had "experts" only 7 years ago predicting a big solar maximum. Evidence was even said to be mounting!http://science1.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2006/21dec_cycle24/

Exactly the predictions where totally wrong. I have put a couple of recent papers on what modulates the suns activity over in the research thread. This and the next cycle are now predicted to be low before a rebound in cycle 26 and 27. This means that if we believe in solar influence being the main climate driver then cooling will occur until at least 2040/50 before climbing again. But don't expect a mini ice age unless we start to see some extensive volcanic activity which could push temps sufficiently downwards. Again there are papers out there that link low solar cycles with increased volcanic activity so its anyone guess but for some it will be our fault whatever the outcome

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Here is a thought, perhaps the uncertainty across the board on this is because 'we still do not know or fully understand' how the sun works, what it causes and affects, we can draw historical links to events, but the fuller indepth research is more recent and so we have a long way to go in our understanding of our local star.

We are small children in a big playground with much still to do.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Looks like Daily fail has latched on to this story, This comment made me chuckle a bit 'I've been a solar physicist for 30 years, and I've never seen anything like this.'  anyway...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2541599/Is-mini-ice-age-way-Scientists-warn-Sun-gone-sleep-say-cause-temperatures-plunge.html#ixzz2qqGYw6uA 

• Like 1

Posted

There was an X-class flare from one of the largest sunspot groups observered in years only a few days ago (AR1944). Hardly what I'd call "gone to sleep", just not as active was forecast at the start of the current solar cycle.

At the end of the day, we're still having one of the mildest winters here in years despite the lower than expected solar activity, so is there really a significant connection? I have my doubts.

Edited by radiohead

Posted

The research being carried out by Joanna Haigh on UV output is very enlightening. IMO this plays an important role in the poleward movement of the Hadley Pressure Cell over the last thirty years and it's interesting now that UV output has fallen that we are seeing this migrate back towards the Tropics.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

The research being carried out by Joanna Haigh on UV output is very enlightening. IMO this plays an important role in the poleward movement of the Hadley Pressure Cell over the last thirty years and it's interesting now that UV output has fallen that we are seeing this migrate back towards the Tropics.

Agreed I think the research that is now being carried on the ouputs of the sun are going to be telling in understanding how our climatic cycles work and what truly caused our warming. As for thinking that just because the sun is going quiet all our winters will be cold is plainly wrong. We are in a transition period and colder winters will become more and more the norm for our little island but sometimes we will be caught in no man's land as we have been so far this winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Are we seeing the Hadley Cells move back to the tropics? I thought we saw Prof Francis show us the exact opposite was continuing to occur? Along with the move poleward of the tropics themselves and the 10c ocean isotherm? I'd check you're data SI? doesn't seem to have been generated on planet Earth? Maybe the Martian warming has stopped and it's their data you're using?

• Like 2

Posted

Are we seeing the Hadley Cells move back to the tropics? I thought we saw Prof Francis show us the exact opposite was continuing to occur? Along with the move poleward of the tropics themselves and the 10c ocean isotherm? I'd check you're data SI? doesn't seem to have been generated on planet Earth? Maybe the Martian warming has stopped and it's their data you're using?

Who is Prof Francis, never heard of him so he must be a crank if you rate him. The Hadley pressure cell has been moving southward over the last 5 years at least and I think I'll listen to Joanna Haigh thank you very much. Also this has nothing to do with your agenda to push all things AGW into every single thread, it becomes tiresome after years of seeing the same repetitive stuff.

Posted

Who is Prof Francis, never heard of him so he must be a crank if you rate him. The Hadley pressure cell has been moving southward over the last 5 years at least and I think I'll listen to Joanna Haigh thank you very much. Also this has nothing to do with your agenda to push all things AGW into every single thread, it becomes tiresome after years of seeing the same repetitive stuff.

Dr Jennifer Francis is a long way from being a crank.

Jennifer Francis earned a B.S. in Meteorology from San Jose State University in 1988 and a PhD in Atmospheric Sciences from the University of Washington in 1994. As a professor at Rutgers University since 1994, she taught courses in satellite remote sensing and climate-change issues, and also co-founded and co-directed the Rutgers Climate and Environmental Change Initiative. Presently she is a Research Professor with the Rutgers Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences and studies Arctic climate change and Arctic-global climate linkages with ~40 peer-reviewed publications on these topics. During the 13 months from July 2009-July 2010, her family of four spent a year sailing through Central America. She and her husband circumnavigated the world in a sailboat from 1980-1985, including Cape Horn and the Arctic, which is when she first became interested in Arctic weather and climate.

• Like 1