Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rainfall winter 2013/2014

damianslaw

Posted

Its been a very wet first half to winter 2013/2014. Anyone have any stats on how much rain has fallen so far in England and Wales compared to the average?

Many places have barely seen a 24 hr period with no rain. Most days have brought precipitation and often very heavy stuff in the form of showers or longer spells.

I'd be interested to compare how we are doing against the likes of 2004/2005 and 1994/1995 which saw two very wet first halves to the winter. Indeed winter 94/95 was one of the wettest on record in England and Wales I think.

Apart from winter 11/12, all winters since 07/08 have been fairly dry, winter 09/10 and the start to 10/11 notably so. Last winter was fairly average but with notable dry periods - first half of December and more generally from mid Jan onwards. Winter 08/09 was preety dry overall punctuated with short lived wet spells such as the run up to Christmas, mid January and early Feb - the latter in the form of snow.

Indeed the last very wet winter I think was 06/07. Winter 05/06 was another very dry one. However, most winters between 97 and 05 were very wet and no coincidence mild or very mild. Dry winters tend to mean cold ones, and wet ones mild ones..

Posted

About 233mm so far.Incidentally the two coldest winters since 62-63 ie 1978-79 and 2009-10 were on the "wet" side, interestingly.

Very surprised at winter 2009/2010, yes December was quite wet, but January from memory wasn't especially at least around here - we missed most of the snow, and February I remember being preety dry. Would be good if you could show the stats for winter 2009/2010.

Posted

Very surprised at winter 2009/2010, yes December was quite wet, but January from memory wasn't especially at least around here - we missed most of the snow, and February I remember being preety dry. Would be good if you could show the stats for winter 2009/2010.

For England and Wales Dec 09: 109.1mmJan 10: 75.3mmFeb 10: 87.2mm

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

It will have by tomorrows update yes, see here:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78933-rainfall-statistics-2014/page-9

Posted

Wettest winter ever at @UniofReading (records began 1908) MT 347.9mm rain since 1 Dec, beating 1989/90 (344.6mm) with 11 days to go

https://twitter.com/ed_hawkins/status/435722569837469696

Winter so far – 18th February rainfall update

http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2014/02/18/winter-so-far-18th-february-rainfall-update/

Edited by knocker

Posted

Meanwhile here in the east we're on 144.6mm for the winter so far, which is almost exactly average for this point.

2007/08 (209.4mm), 2009/10 (215.0mm) and 2012/13 (193.6mm) were actually much wetter winters here.

Posted

Whilst I know we shouldn't pattern match, but perhaps we can take some comfort in how recent very wet seasons have been followed by quite dry or very dry periods especially over England and Wales.

I have mentioned how the wettest November on record in 2009 was followed by a fairly dry winter and then lengthy dry period up until April 12 which incidentally came straight on the back of a very warm March.

A very wet winter in 04/05 was followed by a lengthy dry period from March through until August 2006 culminating in the warmest July on record..

The very wet winter of 94/95 was followed by an exceptionally dry 24 month period starting in March 1995, with one of the driest and warmest summers on record and a very dry winter 95/96. The very dry combo of March and April 1997 was quickly followed by a very wet June.

Autumn 2000 wettest season on record was followed by a fairly dry first half to 2001... indeed 2001 was quite a dry year overall.

Winter 89/90 was followed by one of the warmest and driest years on record in England and Wales. March 90 was exceptionally dry..

I've said before I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a marked sharp transition to something notably long lastingly drier.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

Whilst I know we shouldn't pattern match, but perhaps we can take some comfort in how recent very wet seasons have been followed by quite dry or very dry periods especially over England and Wales. I have mentioned how the wettest November on record in 2009 was followed by a fairly dry winter and then lengthy dry period up until April 12 which incidentally came straight on the back of a very warm March. A very wet winter in 04/05 was followed by a lengthy dry period from March through until August 2006 culminating in the warmest July on record.. The very wet winter of 94/95 was followed by an exceptionally dry 24 month period starting in March 1995, with one of the driest and warmest summers on record and a very dry winter 95/96. The very dry combo of March and April 1997 was quickly followed by a very wet June. Autumn 2000 wettest season on record was followed by a fairly dry first half to 2001... indeed 2001 was quite a dry year overall. Winter 89/90 was followed by one of the warmest and driest years on record in England and Wales. March 90 was exceptionally dry.. I've said before I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a marked sharp transition to something notably long lastingly drier.

I don't want to nitpick but some of your facts are not quite right.Winter 2009-10 was not a dry winter for England and Wales, as I said before the two coldest CET winters since 1962-63 were on the "wet side" an indication of southerly tracking low and northerly blocking. The first half of 2001 was on the wet side until end of April. February, March and April all recorded at least 100mm. The pattern was finally broken in May.2004-05 was not a wet winter for England and Wales infact it was a dry winter. January 2014 recorded more rain than winter 2004-05 for England and Wales.:)
  • Like 1