Sign in to follow this  
ANYWEATHER

Wales. the Country of Land and song.

Lovely lady that Katherine Jenkins....Wow...

Not everyone likes her though; she does have her knockers.

Regarding choirs Cornish male voice choirs would knock them into a top hat.

Best country in the world of course!

To be born in Wales,Not with a silver spoon in your mouth,But, with music in your bloodAnd with poetry in your soul,Is a privilege indeed.Your inheritance is a land of Legend,Of love and contrast.A land of beauty so bright it burns the eyes.Of ugliness that scars the SpiritAs the Earth.Wales is an old land with woundsThat weep in hills.They wept before in the bodies of menAnd in the hearts of womenAnd time will never heal them.The stigmata of sorrow,Of pain and poverty,Of lonely crucifixion in the dark,Remain our lives to feed.This Land of our Fathers was built on coal.Its rivers of mingled blood and sweatHave forever darkened it,Relieved only by death.We are a sad people.Our sadness being wrapped in harps and musicAnd praise to God,For the lovely, yearning lightThat feeds the Spirit as well as the eyes.

-- In Passing by Brian Harris

• Like 2

Well if you are going to bring up Dylan then one has to listen to Burton.

• Like 1

Im very passionate about Wales. Ok it rains a fair bit, but that of course makes the country green, lush and very beautiful. I love the heart of this country, and I love the coastline. I feel very much at home  when in Wales and when I ascend the Malverns or Cotswolds I always look over to my West and see the beautiful Black Mountains in the distance..Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 2

Great and sometimes tragic history.....and boy, could they fight!

Then we have bonnie tyler and can`t forget shirly bassey.

And some that I didn`t know were welsh singers a few female singers,this is missing from this tho quite a few like the manics etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Welsh_singers

Theres one that I`m disgusted with though.

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Wales is great for singers. well its the land of song! Bern taufill  is an amazing singer, probably not spelt that right!!Posted Image

Wales is great for singers. well its the land of song! Bern taufill  is an amazing singer, probably not spelt that right!!Posted Image

Bryn Terfel yw ateb cywir.

• Like 1

What do temporary traffic signals have to do with whiskey? Posted Image

Er bod hi'n dda i weld Cymraeg yma!

The modern bard of Wales

I think this singing beat England before a ball was kicked!

• Like 1

Posted · Hidden by Bobby, January 20, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Bobby, January 20, 2014 - No reason given

(turn volume up)

Not a fan of Wales myself.

There's nothing much there, it's poor, it rejects policies to improve public services and carries on electing Labour governments even as health and education drop back compared to the rest of the UK. It's also historically weak.

I'd consider moving to Cardiff for work but there's not much that appeals to me.

Nothing much there?Oh dear..oh dear (shakes head emoticon)Name me one country, small or large, far or near...that is not in some way flawed?There are none, truth be told. Zippo.

Never said any country was perfect, i just rate it worse than England and Scotland.

Anne robinson`s another..Posted Image

Its cheaper in wales than England to live.

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

2 bed (dump) recently for sale in London..two million asking price? Oh wow..it was within stones throw of 'x' or 'y' - will an ordinary Londoner, doing a 9-5 job be able to purchase it?

Now consider how far two mill would go in Wales Posted Image acres of lush countryside, pool, space not least fresh air.. Posted Image

Very true how much is a pint of beer in London,another thing that shocked me years ago was car park prices in Coventry around 25 years ago now,I forget exactly but still more expensive than around here,but prices are shooting up everywhere now anyway it use to be 30p all day at our local town then.

The scenery is great hills and mountains and no light pollution where stargazing except over to our east/NE from here,very few power stations,can see 3 to our east today pouring out huge amounts of cloud pollution way east 2 of them.

• Like 1

We may not be the richest, most educated, most powerful country in the world (3 million Welsh vs 50 million English, how could it be otherwise? Though the blood and sweat of the Welsh made it the coal, iron and copper capital of the world for a time, playing a big role in building the British Empire). But we have a soul and that's worth more than anything else.

• Like 4

Very true how much is a pint of beer in London,another thing that shocked me years ago was car park prices in Coventry around 25 years ago now,I forget exactly but still more expensive than around here,but prices are shooting up everywhere now anyway it use to be 30p all day at our local town then.

The scenery is great hills and mountains and no light pollution where stargazing except over to our east/NE from here,very few power stations,can see 3 to our east today pouring out huge amounts of cloud pollution way east 2 of them.

Powys, is a beautiful county, does it mean Paradise?? Anyway quite true if it does.! I love the Elan valley area, stunning scenery, and the lovely little town of Rhayader, I adore, for its a town  so laid back, and a great step back in time! People are so friendly, and I Visit this area as often as I canPosted Image

• Like 1

Not a fan of Wales myself.

There's nothing much there, it's poor, it rejects policies to improve public services and carries on electing Labour governments even as health and education drop back compared to the rest of the UK. It's also historically weak.

I'd consider moving to Cardiff for work but there's not much that appeals to me.

You are right that there is not much there, as regards over-population , wide open spaces and plenty of fresh Atlantic driven airPosted Image Then we have a look at the road system there, they have the best roads in the Uk, no potholes, come back to England ,the Roads are awful Posted Image As regards being historically weak , check out the Beautiful Welsh Marches. and Offas Dyke...The Welsh are a much Prouder Country than the English....Posted Image

Lived in Swansea for nigh on 3 years during my 7 year British working holiday in my 20s. Never before or since have I encountered so much warmth and kindness from complete strangers - and I have travelled around a bit. A deeply genuine people.

Perhaps it was just a particular juncture in my life and those interpersonal relationships could have been special had they happened elsewhere,  but I do have enormous affection for Wales. A unique type of vibe about the place which is a little hard to define.

Edited by Styx
  • Like 2

We may not be the richest, most educated, most powerful country in the world (3 million Welsh vs 50 million English, how could it be otherwise? Though the blood and sweat of the Welsh made it the coal, iron and copper capital of the world for a time, playing a big role in building the British Empire). But we have a soul and that's worth more than anything else.

It was certainly the copper smelting capital of the world around Neath and Swansea during the 19th century. Copper ore was even sent from Montana for a while until they got organised. Mind the Cornish had a big hand in the smelters as the ore came from there initially.. The pollution caused by all of this has only in recent years finally been sorted.

Edited by knocker