Sign in to follow this  
Snowyowl9

Revealed: How gangs used the Freemasons to corrupt police

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/revealed-how-gangs-used-the-freemasons-to-corrupt-police-9054670.html

Gangsters able to recruit police officers through secret society, says investigation for Scotland Yard

TOM HARPER Posted Image

INVESTIGATIONS REPORTER

Monday 13 January 2014

Secret networks of Freemasons have been used by organised crime gangs to corrupt the criminal justice system, according to a bombshell Metropolitan Police report leaked to The Independent.

Operation Tiberius, written in 2002, found underworld syndicates used their contacts in the controversial brotherhood to “recruit corrupted officers†inside Scotland Yard, and concluded it was one of “the most difficult aspects of organised crime corruption to proof againstâ€.

The report – marked “Secret†– found serving officers in East Ham east London who were members of the Freemasons attempted to find out which detectives were suspected of links to organised crime from other police sources who were also members of the society.

Famous for its secret handshakes, Freemasonry has long been suspected of having members who work in the criminal justice system – notably the judiciary and the police.

The political establishment and much of the media often dismiss such ideas as the work of conspiracy theorists. However, Operation Tiberius is the second secret police report revealed by The Independent in the last six months to highlight the possible issue.

Project Riverside, a 2008 report on the rogue private investigations industry by the Serious Organised Crime Agency, also claimed criminals attempt to corrupt police officers through Freemason members in a bid to further their interests.

Concerns over the influence of freemasons on the criminal justice system in 1998 led former Home Secretary Jack Straw to order that all police officers and judges should declare membership of the organisation.

However, ten of Britain’s 43 police forces refused to take part and the policy was dropped under threat of legal action. In England and Wales, the Grand Master of the Freemasons is Prince Edward, Duke of Kent. The United Grand Lodge of England declined to comment last night.

The Independent revealed last week that Operation Tiberius found that organised crime syndicates such as the Adams family and the gang led by David Hunt were able to infiltrate the Met “at willâ€.

Asked to comment on the Tiberius report, a spokesman for Scotland Yard said: “The Metropolitan Police Service will not tolerate any behaviour by our officers and staff which could damage the trust placed in police by the public.

“We are determined to pursue corruption in all its forms and with all possible vigour.â€

Read more

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-9054670.html

Obfuscation prevent us from seeing the big picture

Posted Image
  • Like 1

It sounds like a murky world but with secrecy surrounded this subject it is very difficult to separate fact from fiction or rumour - I was once asked to join and it was suggested that it would aid my chances of promotion but I declined - I always preferred to get promotion on merit rather than through the ability to lift my left trouser leg - in the end I stayed as a Sergeant - it must be something I said Posted Image but whatever you do you still have to live with yourself, so no regrets.

However being in a provincial force I don't think that this organisation  had very much effect - it was rumoured that certain senior officers were but I never heard to much about it as far as we were concerned, though I think the Met and other big city forces had more of a problem because that is where the bigger villains were but I believe that those fat brown paper envelopes would have had just as much, if not more influence. Again very much more of a problem for the big city forces than the county constabularies where such things were virtually unknown.

Although I heard things from the odd rumour squad I never came across any evidence which would show either way whether officers were unduly influenced by being a member of the Masons, so I cannot add any more to the opening post.

What I would say is that if it were proved that membership of such an organisation was indeed encouraging corruption between criminal and police masons then that would make a good case for having such membership proscribed for police officers which could easily be done by including it in the discipline regs.

It does bring in the question though of impinging too much of an officer when he is off duty, police officers are entitled to a private life though it is not quite the same as anybody else but it would not be without precedent, for instance any membership of a political party is proscribed and when I married in 1964 I had to submit a report giving my fiancée's details and ask permission for such nuptials.

The basic rule is that police officers cannot serve two masters at the same time, especially in a job like ours because it can give rise to conflicts of interest.

But of equal concern is the possibility that members of the judiciary may be in a similar position to that of the police - I have often wondered as to how much corruption there is when perhaps alibis and defences are cooked up under the auspices of a lawyer/client relationship, which is privileged and the parties cannot be forced through law to disclose the content - of course with the current system this cannot be proved either.

The bottom line is whether it be for the judiciary or the police it is an area where getting convincing evidence would be extremely difficult because those concerned are hardly likely to admit to it - the only other possible way would be by covert electronic eavesdropping but there is a limit as to how far this can go in a free society and a case has to be made to show that this type of action would be justified, which again is unlikely under normal circumstances.

Edited by mike Meehan
  • Like 3

To be fair it does not say that this is the result of Freemasonry, though it is quite likely that it could have an effect from time to time.

The problem appears to be that the more nastier and ruthless you are the better chance you have of 'getting away with it'. And these people are very nasty and ruthless without any rules whatsoever, except to punish those deemed to be responsible for grassing them up, or commit further illegal acts in an effort to ensure they are not convicted though intimidation, bribery and blackmail.

On the other hand the Police and other investigative authorities are bound to play by the rules whilst witnesses are intimidated and caused to 'disappear', juries are nobbled and I am sure that at times some of the defences dreamed up are the result of conferences with defence counsel's in their chambers and have little to do with the reality of what actually happened.

My view is that a trial should be investigative, an attempt to get at the real truth of the matter, rather than advertorial - so often I have given evidence at a trial to come away with the impression that it was akin to game of cricket where the best side won, regardless of whether the defendant was in fact guilty or not.

The laxity of our system continues to give the hardened criminal encouragement by whatever methods his warped mind can come with in order that he does not have to pay the consequences of his actions.