Posted

We need snow !! Posted Image

and not just an ickle bit either!

Posted Image

What time is the snow coming?

December?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Further to my previous post -ensembles are now showing severe gale-force winds for next Monday.Posted Image Seems a return to a vigorous jet streak and resultant deep lows - the last thing so many need.  I'm afraid to say that I now reckon spring can't come soon enough.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

According to some on the main thread we can now, on 20th January, safely write off this winter and look ahead to 2014/2015.

It's funny but I could have sworn that I got a covering of snow last March but maybe my memory's playing tricks with me (not for the first time)

• Like 3

Posted

Further to my previous post -ensembles are now showing severe gale-force winds for next Monday.Posted Image Seems a return to a vigorous jet streak and resultant deep lows - the last thing so many need.  I'm afraid to say that I now reckon spring can't come soon enough.

sorry i've totally lost track now, are these gale force winds for this region or uk in general?

Posted

According to some on the main thread we can now, on 20th January, safely write off this winter and look ahead to 2014/2015.

From what I've seen they might (for once) be right.

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=319&y=150&run=12&runpara=0&type=1&ext=1

gfs pressure charts for 12z

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

i will call fi on the 25th

and thats being generous

Posted Image

maybe i am seeing things but the mean from the 27th looks COLD and drier

why are people writing off winter in january ?Posted Image

ukmo looks cold for us down here and will show this later

john

• Like 4

Posted

sorry i've totally lost track now, are these gale force winds for this region or uk in general?

Too far out to be confident either way I suspect, Jenny, but worth keeping an eye on.  As stated above, Ian Ferguson is confident to the Met Office sees heavy rain on Friday night, seemingly with a return to deep Atlantic lows as we had during much of December.  Really, the only difference seems to be that the flow may be more WNW than due W, so it's likely to be a case of heavy rain, gales and cold rather than heavy rain, gales and mild.Posted Image

Edited by chrisbell-nottheforecaster

Posted

Too far out to be confident either way I suspect, Jenny, but worth keeping an eye on.  As stated above, Ian Ferguson is confident to the Met Office sees heavy rain on Friday night, seemingly with a return to deep Atlantic lows as we had during much of December.  Really, the only difference seems to be that the flow may be more WNW than due W, so it's likely to be a case of heavy rain, gales and cold rather than heavy rain, gales and mild.Posted Image

Wish I hadn't asked now.

• Like 2

Posted

Wish I hadn't asked now.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - I wish I could report that the ensembles were showing dry weather - I suspect many would be quite happy with the Azores high putting-in an appearance even though it would probably kill-off any chance of snow.  Sadly, it seems that a return (at least for next week) to more zonal conditions seems likely.  From what I can understand, the polar vortex is at present so strong that it's withstanding changes in the upper atmosphere which should weaken it, thereby easing the Atlantic influence.

Posted

Ian fergie has just posted on the mad thread that the glosea model also shows march and april mild to average, wait for the wrist slashing and toys being thrown about over on the dark side of netweather 

• Like 3

Posted

hi chris

i am not convinced that will be the set up for the south east

anyway i will try to explain in more detail later

Posted

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news -

I didn't mean that to sound like I was having a go at you, I just wonder how much more the poor people can take who have had storm and rain damage, and then we have Surrey reporting that the river levels are dangerously high, so that could become a problem there, I think a return to the gales and heavy rain we had a while ago could be a very bad thing.

• Like 3

Posted

Ian fergie has just posted on the mad thread that the glosea model also shows march and april mild to average, wait for the wrist slashing and toys being thrown about over on the dark side of netweather 

Indeed, but I'm afraid I'm about to join them - not because I'm desperate for cold and snow, but because, if the glosea model is correct (which it seems to have been all winter), we're staring down the barrel of at least two more months of torrential rain, the prospect of which I find worrying for many areas already saturated now.

• Like 2

Posted

Indeed, but I'm afraid I'm about to join them - not because I'm desperate for cold and snow, but because, if the glosea model is correct (which it seems to have been all winter), we're staring down the barrel of at least two more months of torrential rain, the prospect of which I find worrying for many areas already saturated now.

he did say that the cfs shows the same outcome and we know how that performs sometimes, so perhaps there is still hope

Posted

and they was saying last night they couldnt work out the weekend Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

he did say that the cfs shows the same outcome and we know how that performs sometimes, so perhaps there is still hope

I've just sent him a PM asking for a clarification of his comments on behalf of those this thread who are concerned by the prospect of another month or two of heavy rain.

• Like 3

Posted

and they was saying last night they couldnt work out the weekend Posted Image

Hi John - Ian's comments are the reason I've gone over to the "winter is a write-off" camp - his posts are reading like those from some of the most rampant mild-lovers' at present.

Posted

Indeed, but I'm afraid I'm about to join them -we're staring down the barrel of at least two more months of torrential rain, the prospect of which I find worrying for many areas already saturated now.

Not to mention, as I am sure you have already considered, what that will do to crops and the price of food.I had already heard this year that there was to be root vegetable shortage very soon if the ground is not suitable for growing.

• Like 3

Posted

Hi John - Ian's comments are the reason I've gone over to the "winter is a write-off" camp - his posts are reading like those from some of the most rampant mild-lovers' at present.

if anybody is brave enough ,the post from fergie is no 244 on the mad thread, sorry I cant post it on here as I do not know how to do it,, self confessed technophobe

Edited by PLANET THANET

Posted

ecm at 120

Posted Image

Posted Image

now at 144

Posted Image

Posted Image

we keep colder uppers here

and atlantic is bring pushed back

high pressure close enough to keep us quite dry

sorry chris no digs at you

but any model after 5 days is unreliable at present

when they make one it will be very quiet in here

• Like 4

Posted

at 168

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

thats wet

and undercut territory

may not be as bad as some think

but thats fi still and will stick at 120 as per normal

• Like 2

if anybody is brave enough ,the post from fergie is no 244 on the mad thread, sorry I cant post it on here as I do not know how to do it,, self confessed technophobe

If you click the share link which looks like a < next to the post number, this will give you the link reference to paste in your post.