Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2014 Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

So far been a terrible spring...December quite wet and January looking to be even wetter. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

So far been a terrible spring...December quite wet and January looking to be even wetter. Posted Image

December and January are still Autumn, well at least to one poster on this site.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

December and January are still Autumn, well at least to one poster on this site.

Yup, certainly still Autumn here. Usually one of the snowiest cities in England is Leeds but we have not had a single day of lying snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Really look forwards to the first warm southerly of the year, which indicates the continent is beginning to warm up after winter. In 2008 we only had to wait until mid February.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

Really look forwards to the first warm southerly of the year, which indicates the continent is beginning to warm up after winter. In 2008 we only had to wait until mid February.

mmm lovely.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Lovely spring like day right now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

And two months later

Hopefully a repeat this year!

Anyway, February 2008 was a frosty month here - the average low was 0.2C, 0.6C lower than the 81-10 average and lower than January 2013, with a lot of sun (over 100 hours) and we even had an ice day and some snow around the 19th - the 19th itself had a max of -2.1C with freezing fog all day. 3 days later, we had a max of 14C. A very variable month, and I would prefer it over this garbage boring soggy month.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wouldn't mind a repeat of March 2012 either - mild, sunny and dry is always pleasant, if a little boring. However, March 2012 did nothing to compensate for the horrible summer that followed - the worst this century by far.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Summer 2012 occurred in March lol. I recall it being absolutely glorious most of the time, which meant that March 2013 came as an even greater shock. An average spring would be welcomed by me. I do like those ultra clear days in April where it can be warm sunshine one minuite and a hail shower the next. It doesnt really feel like Spring if we dont get days like that. Hopefully high pressure will pay us a visit during March and deliver plenty of mild dry days of 15/16c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Summer 2012 occurred in March lol. I recall it being absolutely glorious most of the time, which meant that March 2013 came as an even greater shock. An average spring would be welcomed by me. I do like those ultra clear days in April where it can be warm sunshine one minuite and a hail shower the next. It doesnt really feel like Spring if we dont get days like that. Hopefully high pressure will pay us a visit during March and deliver plenty of mild dry days of 15/16c.

well here there were a few hot days in May '12, that was the hottest spell, remember friday 25th being the hottest, cloudless skies

Posted

I have just recalled April 2011. It beat 2007 by such a margin but probably wont be that remembered because it wasnt in Summer or winter. If the July record had been beaten by the margin it would have to be 20.3c. Astonishing given the prolonged heat of last July 'only' gave us 18.3c

Posted

well here there were a few hot days in May '12, that was the hottest spell, remember friday 25th being the hottest, cloudless skies

It was during one of late Spring/early summer easterly spells that weve seen a few of in recent years. Unlike southerlies you probably have to wait till mid May for warmth from the east. As April 2003 showed where it turned significantly cooler following the warm spell as winds switched to the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The met office ensemble mean maps have updated for the first time this year

850 temperatures slightly above normal for spring

Posted Image

2m temperatures slightly above normal for spring

Posted Image

Precipitation slightly below normal for spring

Posted Image

Pressure is shown to be lower than normal

Posted Image

However when looking at the February to April chart it shown it to be slightly higher than normal with a strong block in the Atlantic, so the signal for lower pressure is probably coming from May

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I would love April/May to be extremely warm and Thundery, like an early Summer leading into a glorious June.  Mid 20's in April/May can be so refreshing and the air can sometimes be nice and clear.

Edited by Robbie Garrett
  • Like 6

Posted

Ideally i'd want an 7C March, 9C April, 12C May and 15C June, afterwards heat tends to be humid so i'm happy for Summer 11 repeat.

Posted

The met office ensemble mean maps have updated for the first time this year 850 temperatures slightly above normal for spring 2m temperatures slightly above normal for spring Precipitation slightly below normal for spring Pressure is shown to be lower than normal However when looking at the February to April chart it shown it to be slightly higher than normal with a strong block in the Atlantic, so the signal for lower pressure is probably coming from May 

Those 850hpa, 2M temps and precipitation charts look completely average for the UK as a whole SS. If so they suggest a variable spring which would be quite a change on the extremes of previous years.
  • Like 2

Posted

WSI's seasonal forecasts now covers the first 2 months of spring

Above-Normal Temperatures to be the Rule Across Europe Remainder of Winter

Lack of Atlantic Blocking to Result in More Mild Westerly Flow

Andover, MA, 20 January 2014 — WSI (Weather Services International) expects widespread above-normal temperatures across Scandinavia, eastern Europe and western Russia for the February-April period, with slightly below-normal temperatures confined to western France, Iberia and the UK.

According to WSI Meteorologist Dr. Todd Crawford: “The winter across Europe so far has been characterized by very strong westerlies, a lack of North Atlantic blocking, and generally mild weather. Although the current Scandinavian blocking episode has resulted in colder winter temperatures across northern latitudes, the general pattern is still not conducive for sustained and widespread cold.

The two primary cold risks to the generally mild February forecasts involve the Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO) and the stratosphere, and we will be monitoring developments in advance of a possible update to our February forecast at the end of January. Heading into the spring, most of the dynamical models continue to strongly suggest a persistence of the strong westerlies across the North Atlantic into Europe, which would continue to limit any widespread cold risk.†

In March, WSI forecasts:

Nordic Region – Warmer than normalUK – Slightly colder than normalNorthern Mainland – Warmer than normal, except for western FranceSouthern Mainland – Warmer than normal, except for IberiaIn April, WSI forecasts:

Nordic Region – Warmer than normalUK – Slightly colder than normalNorthern Mainland – Warmer than normal, except for western FranceSouthern Mainland – Warmer than normal, except for Iberia

http://www.wsi.com/d...ase-details.htm

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

May has been a disappointing month in recent years whilst March and April have seen lots of dry and warm weather. Of course 2008 saw a glorious May but its not provided much since apart from a few nice spells here and there. Not enough to make any may since 2008 stand out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

21st till 30th May 2012 was fantastic too, It was very warm but comfortable nights. I'll remember that for a long while.

• Like 2

Posted

21st till 30th May 2012 was fantastic too, It was very warm but comfortable nights. I'll remember that for a long while.

Yes I remember that week very well, unfortunately it was one our best weeks of weather for all of spring and summer combined I seem to remember some hot weather during some of the Olympics as well

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Yes I remember that week very well, unfortunately it was one our best weeks of weather for all of spring and summer combined I seem to remember some hot weather during some of the Olympics as well

That was the one and only week of that entire year we were able to take my disabled mother out for a day in the sun and fresh air where she was both well enough to do it and the weather was compliant.

Been seeing quite a few signs of spring this week that I would not expect to see for a few weeks yet, bees, flowers coming up or already flowering and a few other insects coming out.

• Like 1

Posted

That was a very nice spell of weather, probably made to seem even better by what came before and after...