Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2014 Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

â€@bbcweather

Temps have reached 20C today in central London but all of us will see more cloud tomorrow and it will feel a little fresher.

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Potential for another brief spell of mild temperatures to come mid week but thereafter it looks like things turning more unsettled. But this past fortnight of drier conditions has been most welcome.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Potential for another brief spell of mild temperatures to come mid week but thereafter it looks like things turning more unsettled. But this past fortnight of drier conditions has been most welcome.

More than just welcome. To see 2 days already this March where 20C has been reached is really something. I've thoroughly enjoyed this spell. Nice to see the sun for a long period of time. 

• Like 3

Posted

More than just welcome. To see 2 days already this March where 20C has been reached is really something. I've thoroughly enjoyed this spell. Nice to see the sun for a long period of time. 

It makes me think if will can get 20c this early on what could we get in summer if the conditions were right a complete contrast to 12 months ago thats for sure!

• Like 1

Posted

It makes me think if will can get 20c this early on what could we get in summer if the conditions were right a complete contrast to 12 months ago thats for sure!

Absolutely! Trouble is there are only so many times a year we are going to see a pattern like this current one. Lets hope we are not exhausting them now as was the case in 2012 but that rather its another 2003 where a wet winter was followed by a warm sunny March and then a great Summer where all 3 months were above average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't expect widespread snowfalls in the coming week but the period from Thursday through to Sunday has a "convective potential" look to it- we might get some potent hail showers and maybe the odd rumble of thunder in some parts of the country.

Posted

Winter bites back

After a taste of Spring for many, things are set to turn colder again by the end of the week.

BBC Weather's John Hammond has the details.

This weekend

Colder

Wintry showers (mostly over the hills but some snow at low levels can't be ruled out)

Frosty night

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast-video/26628761

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

How depressing. A lovely week or so followed by what looks like rubbish. It's also likely to ruin my CET prediction! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Great forecast by John H, he's always been a cold lover at heart.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I guess it's a reminder to those of us looking for warmth that it's only March, and March is not a warm month. Only June through August offer reliable warmth unfortunately.

• Like 3

Posted

Winter bites back

After a taste of Spring for many, things are set to turn colder again by the end of the week.

A taste of Spring for many? A taste of Summer for those in the south!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Winter bites back? It wasnt even here in the first place. And tbh it looks more of a nibble than a bite.

• Like 3

Posted

Winter bites back? It wasnt even here in the first place. And tbh it looks more of a nibble than a bite.

I expect it will just feel 'chilly' in the south at the end of the week and weekend with some showers. Nothing to get excited about down here. Edited by Don
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Indeed some major ramping going on for this weekend which really just looks cool but chilly in the wind for most. Cold for a time in the North yes with a few cold rain/sleety/hail showers. Woooooop... how exciting....

Give me back the sunshine and warmth and dryness which importantly we still desperately need. Thankfully it looks like the Azores High could keep making some regular appearances with Summer perhaps looking good so far too. 

• Like 2

Posted

I've been thoroughly enjoying the spring like weather. It marks the beginning of my camping season where I can star gaze and take some nice star trail photos in comfortable temperatures. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge cold/snow fan and a snowboarder but I'm in my warm/sunny mode now. Tomatoes, chillies & peppers amongst others are planted and some have germinated well in the poly tunnel. I really am hoping for a good spring/summer. Here's what I got a few days ago on my first camp of the season thanks to the nice weather. Taken from the summit of Mynydd Mawr looking over Nantlle ridge.  

• Like 5

Posted

Indeed some major ramping going on for this weekend which really just looks cool but chilly in the wind for most. Cold for a time in the North yes with a few cold rain/sleety/hail showers. Woooooop... how exciting....

Give me back the sunshine and warmth and dryness which importantly we still desperately need. Thankfully it looks like the Azores High could keep making some regular appearances with Summer perhaps looking good so far too. 

Sounds rather boring if you just want sunshine and warmth in Spring, got to admit though, this weather set up coming up could look more exciting than it probably will be, a true Arctic Northerly with very low thicknesses would certainly produce exciting convective spring weather, this one looks like just a tickle which kind of summed up the last few months as far as cold is concerned really. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I can understand the ramping about snow given how little most of us have had during this season- even a few flakes would be more than some of us have seen- but really there's not a lot for snow lovers to get excited over, except on high ground in the north.  I'm getting quite excited about the outlook for Friday and the weekend for a rather different reason- convective potential.  Here in the Thirsk/Northallerton area we had surprisingly few "convective days" during the winter quarter considering how cyclonic and westerly-dominated it was, so if we get some hail showers and impressive cumulus congestus and cumulonimbus clouds then it will have significant novelty value.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

I think by "Winter bites back", the BBC really mean "The crappy wet and windy weather bites back", because 8 to 10°C is hardly "wintry" in my opinion…

Exactly, we never really had a Winter. It was more like a continuation of Autumn. 

Last 'winter' is the only one I can remember where we literally didn't get one flake of snow, or even sleet for that matter. 

Edited by matty007

Posted

Just wish we were getting a true proper cold blast tbh, not a half hearted one like the one coming up. There is some convective weather in the offering but looking at the PPN charts, by the time the cold air is here, pressure rises and the convective activity reduces quite a bit. 

Could be a very sharp frost for the time of year on Sunday night, certainly one to look out for. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Nice and fresh for the East, at least no oppressive weather like last week anyway.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

You're really desperate to get a wintry blast aren't you? It is possible, but I don't think it will be anything significant though.

Yes cold is really all I am interested in to any great extent to be honest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

^^ Bless your cotton sucks. I'm sure you'll get your wish.. next winter.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 4

Posted

^^ Bless your cotton sucks. I'm sure you'll get your wish.. next winter.

Well, it can't really be any worse than 2013/14 from a cold/snow perspective, even if it turns out to be another mild affair. 

Posted

Met office ensemble mean maps have updated for March and cover April to June

2m temperatures range from slightly below average in the south to slightly above average in the north

Posted Image

Similar picture for the 850's as well

Posted Image

Precipitation looks to be slightly below normal for all

Posted Image

Pressure is shown to be high than normal for the north and slightly lower than normal for the south

Posted Image

• Like 1