Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 14/1/14 21z ------->

A.J

Posted

And now the met.ie Shannon rainfall radar looks like it has just been blown away!!!

Posted

Think the MO only upgraded to amber just to cover themselves. The strong winds will only really be close to the east coast.

Posted

I'm amazed this place isn't busier due to the current storm, can't believe 260,000 homes without power in the south, what percentage of the population is that, 10%??

Posted

serious wind and sleet here. temp 3c. up sl beagh at noon today and most of snow had melted. sperrins looked loaded.

Posted

Mad drive up from Dublin tonight!! Signage from m50 motorway lying in fast lane, branches and debris blowing everywhere and severe gusts with heavy rain!!

Lorries with empty trailers had side curtains opened to let wind blow through and not blow them off the road!!

• Like 1

Posted

Hello guys n gals! Just checking in! Had to stand out in that and bleed a boiler- meanwhile the outdoor clock felt a bit kamikaze and threw itself off the wall and smashed into smithereens!

Stay safe everyone!

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

finally the weather has reached me .. my nearest hawthorn tree @ 20 yards away has lost it's main limb @5 ft off the ground ,perfectly blocking the lane. fortunately i made a bypass some years ago . a large part of next winters fuel sorted . 

wind now varying from calm to gale force+ every few minutes ...

glad i don't live anywhere else ...

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Got very stormy here during the second half of the day,half my garden fences are down and still very windy out. Feels bitter out in that wind,temp 3.1c.

Went to county offaly with a guy i know to get hay for his cattle and saw a number of trees down along the way,we were driving along country roads with trees swaying in the wind on either side which made me a bit on the nervous side. On the way back some crews were out clearing some trees and debris off the roads.

Posted

BBC weather just mentioned the possibility of some significant snow on Friday morning. I just love this type of instability in our weather as anything can happen. Love it!

Just saw that on bbc news but still nothing on website or met.ie must admit I enjoy this weather as well but feel guilty saying that when people are suffering
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Frost, Thunder and Storms

Today was probably the most severe storm I have ever experienced. Probably even worse than the Christmas Eve storm of 1997 which was something to behold. Total carnage all around this area today with roofs totally blown off buildings, trees uprooted, power cuts and a few vehicles, mostly lorries overturned. At one stage the 4 storey building I was in for a while this afternoon, was literally swaying and people were genuinely panicking that it was going to collapse. Scary stuff and shows how mother nature in all her ferocity is something not to mess with. These severe storms along with all the flooding of the past 2 months will surely mean that this winter will go down as a record breaker when the stats are compiled. On a par with the severe winters of 1946/47 and 1962/63 but for very different reasons of course.

In addition, today's storm came after a particularly cold day yesterday where many places saw falling, and in some cases lying snow. Incidentally it's interesting looking at Met Eireann's latest weather reports for the past few hours that Cork (apart from Knock Airport which is on high ground) has been experiencing snow showers while the showers in the rest of the country much further north are reporting rain. Quite unusual.

I think this winter still has a bit to run yet with another storm due Friday which could bring more damaging winds, flooding to the south and possibly snow to the north. Also some tentative signs looking at some recent model output that late Feb / early March may see things settle down somewhat, however I wouldn't bet against it also turning progressively colder with perhaps a sting in winters tail and a cold start to Spring possibly in the offing which would carry the risk of frost & snow - all a long way off but worth watching the models over next few days or more to see if this becomes an increasing possibility.

EWS      

Edited by Earth Wind and Snow
  • Like 4

Posted

Today was probably the most severe storm I have ever experienced. Probably even worse than the Christmas Eve storm of 1997 which was something to behold. Total carnage all around this area today with roofs totally blown off buildings, trees uprooted, power cuts and a few vehicle, mostly lorries overturned. At one stage the 4 storey building I was in for a while this afternoon, was literally swaying and people were genuinely panicking that it was going to collapse. Scary stuff and shows how mother nature in all her ferocity is something not to mess with. These severe storms along with all the flooding of the past 2 months will surely go down as a record breaker when the stats are compiled. On a par with the severe winters of 1946/47 and 1962/63 but for very different reasons of course.

In addition, today's storm came after a particularly cold day yesterday where many places saw falling, and in some cases lying snow. Incidentally it's interesting looking at Met Eireann's latest weather reports for the past few hours that Cork (apart from Knock Airport which is on high ground) has been experiencing snow showers while the showers in the rest of the country much further north are reporting rain. Quite unusual.

I think this winter still has a bit to run yet with another storm due Friday which could bring more damaging winds, flooding to the south and possibly snow to the north. Also some tentative signs looking at some recent model output that late Feb / early March may see things settle down somewhat, however I wouldn't bet against it also turning progressively colder with perhaps a sting in winters tail and a cold start to Spring possibly in the offing which would carry the risk of frost & snow - all a long way off but worth watching the models over next few days or more to see if this becomes an increasing possibility.

EWS    

Great post! Definitely a strange few days weather wise and i hope you are all ok down south! I also think that winter will have a sting in its tail and winter 2013/14 will certainly be one to remember for the storms it has thrown at us! Stay safe folks!    

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Snow here this morning, a light dusting, but the best of the winter so far!

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

Lovely. A tad jealous here in bone dry Dublin… Clear blue skies, and cold sharp gusts still.

Posted

I'll echo what Earth Wind and Snow says. A wild wild night.  We were driving from Belfast to Rosslare. It was fine as far as south Dublin (relatively) but rapidly became hairy after that. On the N11 the road was blocked for a while by a fallen tree but we eventually got past that. The air was full of flying missiles which were hitting the windows of our motorhome in a terrifying manner. The van was swaying from side to side in the gusts. Just outside Gorey I saw that the roof skylight was lifting about an inch with each gust, though still attached to the roof at several points. We were not even into the worst of it yet. It was at this stage that we gave up and headed for the Lidl carpark outside Gorey, a much loved refuge for weary travellers in these parts.  The skylight was reattached and the Skywatchers fed and watered.  Thankfully, the wind abated and we headed off for Enniscorthy. Under clear skies and with sub-zero temps, it was here we realised a pipe had become detached at some stage during the storm and our heating wasn't working. We had a cold cold night.  In the morning, we heard reports of extensive snow. I suppose we were lucky in that we missed out on that at least.

This was a historic storm. RTE are reporting, if I heard it correctly this morning, 200,000 people without power. Most secondary roads are impassable or difficult.  Trees down everywhere (we gave up counting yesterday). Sections of fencing are turning up in places where fencing isn't normally to be found.

We're finally on a ferry, to arrive in Wales in time for the next storm on Friday. Our immediate task is to roll off the ferry into a garage to effect repairs to our wounded motorhome.  It could have been worse.  It would have been if we hadn't made the decision to abandon the journey.  I hope everyone is safe after that amazing night.

• Like 2