Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 14/1/14 21z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

GFS, you tease!

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Hate to admit but the chances of seeing proper lying snow rest of winter is at about 0.1%!! Horrific winter for snow and cold! I think it's done and dusted. No positives anywhere to grasp.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

The park in Cahir has flooded quite a bit today, looks quite nice though! Just open in a new tab if the panoramic pic is too big.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

No really...

Posted Image

I'll take it with both arms wide open, but it's only goin to be a transient and marginal event I feel.

Posted

Well the UKmet only mentions hill snow for Northern Ireland so rain for low level areas and although I live on a hill, will I be high enough?, unlikey. Pomeroy and Coleraine Mountain will get a blizzard no doubt.

Aside from that weather warnings out for rain and wind for the weekend.

In terms of any prolonged cold, we continue to look up to the Stratosphere and hope and pray.

• Like 1

Posted

Well the UKmet only mentions hill snow for Northern Ireland so rain for low level areas and although I live on a hill, will I be high enough?, unlikey. Pomeroy and Coleraine Mountain will get a blizzard no doubt.

Aside from that weather warnings out for rain and wind for the weekend.

In terms of any prolonged cold, we continue to look up to the Stratosphere and hope and pray.

I'd be more optimistic for tomorrow night than that. I reckon snow will fall to low levels. Sure it's only the overnight period but it's something at least. I'll take a closer look later and post a few charts. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

Both the Euro4 and GFS suggest wintry showers tomorrow night into Saturday for most of Ireland, especially on higher ground in the North and East where it will be coldest. Dew points shouldn't be a problem, and temperatures are expected to dip to freezing in most parts:

Posted Image

Dew points:

Posted Image

Expect accumulations on higher ground, but snow itself should reach most low-lying areas, mainly after midnight:

Posted Image

This will be a very marginal event, btw, so don't be too disappointed if it falls as rain. I can't see many areas near coasts getting much in the way of snow, particularly here in the south, and in the west. :(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

The Euro4 prediction for snow tonight. The hills will almost certainly have a covering by morning id say. Maybe one or two lucky spots at lower levels?

post-6445-0-06991700-1391165833_thumb.gi

post-6445-0-08966600-1391165910_thumb.gi

Posted

Yes I'm 90% certain met office wii have parts of Northern Ireland in a snow warning when they do their updates today! May be brief but I'm certain somebody will see snow. Also expect met eirann to do the same.

Posted

Hi Neiller, the fact that any snow will be brief, and laying snow confined to high ground indicates a weather warning will not be necessary, that is, it's not going to cause any disruption.

The Wind and Rain warning is sufficient.

Posted

Told u ! Thought they would. Warning issued MS. 1-2 cm possible for even low lying. U could do quite well having elevation.

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

next 12 days local forecast has a max of 6 and min of -3'C but wind chill leaves a feels-like max of 1'C and min of -10'C !. Meanwhile wind is mostly southerly . An unusual combination >  

...and 6 hours of snow tonight ???

Posted

Yeah I don't really care now if it snows or not. Not the most important thing in my life. Prob not happen anyway but at least there's a chance. Could be last chance to see a snowflake this awful winter! Not like you to be so negative pomeroysnow when a warning is out! U must have had enough!

Posted

We have been here before MS! Even looked good on newsline ! But u can never tell. I think if we all see a snowfall at least once it wiil ease the pain of this winter! Be a change watching snow fall for 6 hrs instead of rain! Fingers crossed

Posted

Yeah I don't really care now if it snows or not. Not the most important thing in my life. Prob not happen anyway but at least there's a chance. Could be last chance to see a snowflake this awful winter! Not like you to be so negative pomeroysnow when a warning is out! U must have had enough!

It was tongue in cheek, bud just trying to put a positive slant for anyone who doesn't get anyPosted Image (snow that is)

Edited by Pomeroysnow