Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 14/1/14 21z ------>

A.J

Posted

Can't beat a good ol N/Wly. 

Agree 100% with that... had plenty of very good snow events in Bolton from a N/Wly. .Down here in Northampton, we just don't benefit from a Cheshire gap set-up.

Posted

Funnily enough...that's the outlook lol! Some are even moaning or pointing fingers because they didn't think snow was forecast I mean zzzzz.Looks like i may use the ignore feature for the v.first time :) not you though.

Is it looking good for cold say 60/40 or 60/40 for the Atlantic too smash through like some are saying, and midlanders thoughts welcome :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I don't think that Scandi high will give up without one hell of a fight...

little bit too far East I think not over Scandinavia really, but yeah will be a fight, wet snow possibilities next week low levels, proper dumpings peak district

Posted

little bit too far East I think not over Scandinavia really, but yeah will be a fight, wet snow possibilities next week low levels, proper dumpings peak district

i think we could be all in for a surprise..  evaporated cooling, etc. that's what happened here in feb 09.  7 inches fell in 3 hours.  TETIS had the photos as his signature if you remember.

• Like 1

Posted

i think we could be all in for a surprise..  evaporated cooling, etc. that's what happened here in feb 09.  7 inches fell in 3 hours.  TETIS had the photos as his signature if you remember.

Evaporative cooling events are amazing, aren't they? We had one here in Feb 2010 which dumped a fantastic amount of snow in a short space of time. I remember watching it pour down with rain for several hours whilst observing the temp & DP slowly descending, then BAM! epic snowfall Posted Image

Bish

• Like 2

Posted

Evaporative cooling events are amazing, aren't they? We had one here in Feb 2010 which dumped a fantastic amount of snow in a short space of time. I remember watching it pour down with rain for several hours whilst observing the temp & DP slowly descending, then BAM! epic snowfall Posted Image

Bish

i was watching the radar back in Feb. 09.. was going to call it a night when all of a sudden the precip started to intensify...BOOM. unbelievable !

i would give my right arm for another Feb. 09 event.Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Few people have being saying that it was snowing earlier around here all be it not sticking I didn't see anything

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A heavy and squally shower of, initially, small hail but quickly turning to snow between, 1805 and 1835 has left a covering of 1cm.

Can it survive until 0900 tomorrow I wonder? It's a big ask with rain moving in from the west later in the night.

Edited by Terminal Moraine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Few people have being saying that it was snowing earlier around here all be it not sticking I didn't see anything

Mist our locations to the north and east, winds too westerly, showers went through Stockport area into Derbyshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

we had about 30 mins snow shower around 18:00-18:30 ish...was heavy for a little while and then just as it started to stick it stopped...very good to see some big flakes blasting past the lamp post tho....much more to come next week me thinks.....Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

It was small hail, that's if it was the same shower I drove through just SW of your location about 7.15. Nothing at all here, WNW is a useless wind direction except for Manchester/Peak/N Staffs. And here comes the cloud just as a frost was starting to form....

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

we had about 30 mins snow shower around 18:00-18:30 ish...was heavy for a little while and then just as it started to stick it stopped...very good to see some big flakes blasting past the lamp post tho....much more to come next week me thinks.....Posted Image

Yes, we should hopefully do well out of this set-up, especially next week, it can bring some big falls of snow round here.

Posted

Yes, we should hopefully do well out of this set-up, especially next week, it can bring some big falls of snow round here.

Is that "we" as in the entire Midlands region, or is it "we" as in the usual Peak District mob only.....? Posted Image

Bish

• Like 4

Posted

No danger of a frost here tonight, cloud rolled in already, 2.3c, I see Sunday's storm heading north with every run darn!!!! once upon a time it would of been further south with each update instead!

Posted

Is that "we" as in the entire Midlands region, or is it "we" as in the usual Peak District mob only.....? Posted Image

Bish

I hope everyone sees some snow cover Bish, obviously elevation helps, but even lower levels can see some good snowfalls to.

Thin cover of snow has now frozen.

Temp -0.1c

Dp 0.5c

Wind chill -2.2c  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The thin snow cover remains. Another 3 hours and we've got the first morning with lying snow this month here.

Current temp' is 0.9c.

Posted

Snow cover still remains here, around 90% after an frost.

Temp 0.7c

Posted

I swear that band of rain that is over wales and southwest england was meant come furthee east but instead it has slid further south!!hmmmm!!maybe a sign that the cold could win through from the east!!lol wishfull thinking.

Posted

I swear that band of rain that is over wales and southwest england was meant come furthee east but instead it has slid further south!!hmmmm!!maybe a sign that the cold could win through from the east!!lol wishfull thinking.

Yes was expecting the band of rain to clear the snow cover last night, as you say has pushed much further South than was expected.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, I was also surprised to see how far south the rain was. Just misty/mizzley here. Fingers crossed for the week ahead. Goodluck to all fellow Midlanders, especially in the west;-)

Edit: In fact just comparing the 0700 radar with the 0745 indicates (to my eye) that the rain is moving SOUTH, away from us!

Edited by picog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Whoooo rain heading southwards, hardly had a drop here! :D RESULT. Don't need any more in this region.

Posted

Just imagine if that band of rain sliding south had been snow instead..............it'd be an absolute bloodbath in here!

Posted Image

Bish