Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 14/1/14 21z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Oh boy have we had some fun here tonight that would generally put any windy event elsewhere to shame inland! aka the Midlands! :p

Crazy winds especially around 6pm where it was sustained winds 30-50mph for a time and gusts were well over 70mph. Weve had power cuts, lots of fallen trees, flooding and thunder and lightning and more thunder and lightning possible tonight before the winds get very strong again after midnight. Severe gales expected around 6am and only a little less severe than tonight.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Should be interesting later for us here around 2/3am, looks like your in a prime spot Blizz enjoy Posted Image

Posted Image

Tomorrow afternoon looks wild again for you to down there

Posted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

The wind has started picking up about 20 minutes ago, but as triple_x1 said "in bursts". They're quite hefty gusts too... whistling through the cracks (oh matron!).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Highest gust here so far is 53 mph at 2130, continuous moderate rain being lashed at the windows too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Should be interesting later for us here around 2/3am, looks like your in a prime spot Blizz enjoy Posted Image

Tomorrow afternoon looks wild again for you to down there

Tomorrow morning around 6am looks bad again. Only slightly less worse than this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Dare I say it's been a reasonably quiet night here. Having said that, we are incredibly protected from the SE wind by the Malvern Hills, nestled as we are on the West flank. However just now it's started blowing more and raining, as the wind shifts more to the SW I expect we'll see greater gusts on this side. Sounds like it's been dreadful further to the SW. Stay safe, everyone.

Posted

A blustery morning here with an overnight max gust of 58mph so nothing out the norm here.

Temp 3.7c

Wind S/E 15mph Gusting 32mph.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Yep, much ado about nothing here again - even the wheely bin is still where I left it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Really? It is very windy here this morning! Just watched my neighbour's fence take off and the wheelie bins are all over the place!

Posted

Not too bad last night but really foul this morning, bins blowing around and yet more torrential rain.

Now on 32 consecutive days with rain, could we beat the autumn's 37?

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted

Now on 32 consecutive days with rain, could we beat the autumn's 37?

A very good chance, judging by the forecast for the next few days.

The wind has noticeably intensified here over the past hour or so.

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Wind's really picked up here to a dull roar. Been having bursts of driving rain. Still appears to be a SEly direction.

Posted

A very good chance, judging by the forecast for the next few days. The wind has noticeably intensified here over the past hour or so. Bish

And while that spell in autumn (a record I thought would last for years BTW) had quite a few days with just drizzle, this time it's been 32 with real rain.
  • Like 1

Posted

And while that spell in autumn (a record I thought would last for years BTW) had quite a few days with just drizzle, this time it's been 32 with real rain.

As a matter of interest, what was the record prior to last autumn?

Bish

Posted

The wind has really got up here in Nottingham over the last hour, the flag and pole on top of Nottingham Castle is really straining at times , luckily the pole appears to have a lot of flex in it.  Not much rain so far...

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

Getting a fair load of powerful pro-longed gusts here... I've gave up with picking the wheelie-bin back up again.

Posted

As a matter of interest, what was the record prior to last autumn?

Bish

That I remember, 24 in April 2012. Some data I've seen shows 27 at Shawbury in Nov 2000, but I wasn't living here then and sometimes they miss showers we get in Shrewsbury and vice versa.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

You do realise there has to be at least 0.2mm in the 0900 -0900 period to count as a rain day though?

Trace or 0.1mm does not count.

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 2

Posted

Wet and blustery here, rain has been heavy but has eased in the last hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Highest gust so far is 69 mph at 1149. It's been raining on and off for most of the morning but no great amount here.

Posted

You do realise there has to be at least 0.2mm in the 0900 -0900 period to count as a rain day though?

Trace or 0.1mm does not count.

Yes- I wonder why 0.2 though? Perhaps because anything less, even one raindrop, was being recorded as 0.1 (or 0.01") in the past?

Posted

Next week will probably end up business as usual in the end, the -5 850hPa temps change to -1/-2 and the showery setup's change into more monster lows.

Case in point, the ECM has now jumped on this trend already :lol: but what looks like a wintry chart right now ends up like today come +00hrs.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1442.gif