Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 14/1/14 21z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

I'm sure I've just heard another long (yet distant) rumble...

Posted

As expected the inevitable UKMO downgrade has arrived, week ahead still looks like a bland fest to me with rain charging back in by Friday considering this winter finds it impossible to remember front's hitting an easterly block are meant to undercut/amplify, best chance of any wintriness is probably tomorrow night.

At least today's surprise squall has marked this month up from a 0.7/10 to 0.9/10 :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Went to watch the pride of the midlands play football, and on the way the heavens litterally opened up!

decent thunder and lightning, heavy hail  and snow for a time!

Unfortunatly for blues we were cheated out of it. again....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Real autumnal day today, good 'thunderstorm' though, and hail with it as well,

probably technically incorrect term, but my first thunderstorm of 2014, heard about 10 rumbles, 6 flashes

Posted

There was supposedly a tornado in Leicester earlier - according to some Tweeter's ... any confirmation or they just getting confused with the thunderstorms updraft?

• Like 1

Posted

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Drove from Cannock to Dudley this afternoon, lovely thunder and lightning with lots of rain and hail all the way...never expected it which was great.

• Like 1

Posted

Back now to totally clear skies- can't believe the big T decided to drop in when I was out!!!!

It was pretty awesome, I was up at tesco and watched it arrive, I took shelter in trolley bay lol, instant thunder after lightening and very loud and big gusts..exciting but a bit scarey lol..unlucky
  • Like 1

Posted

It was pretty awesome, I was up at tesco and watched it arrive, I took shelter in trolley bay lol, instant thunder after lightening and very loud and big gusts..exciting but a bit scarey lol..unlucky

That means it was pretty much overhead. Was there hail, and how long did it last?

Posted

Can I please be allowed to shoot the next person that mentions 'mini tornado'???? ><

Damn local media cannot help themselves, they ought to report on the mini hail storm and mini floods and mini sunny periods too!

• Like 3

Posted

That means it was pretty much overhead. Was there hail, and how long did it last?

Just had a look at stormraider`s video and there was much more thunder/lightning there but a much shorter shower of hail and bigger hailstones,hail lasted here 15 mins smaller but then made everything white and gales in the squall interesting to see the difference.

Posted

Can I please be allowed to shoot the next person that mentions 'mini tornado'???? ><

Damn local media cannot help themselves, they ought to report on the mini hail storm and mini floods and mini sunny periods too!

You by any chance? Posted Image

Posted Image

*thumbs up*

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A dull wet morning here with light rain, Temp 2.2c

Hopefully things may get a little more interesting later, after the main band of rain has pushed through bringing colder air with it.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Tad bit breezy here, rain hasn't started yet, but shouldn't be too far away.

Posted

Rain has turned heavy and a little sleety now here.. Temp 2.4c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Rain has turned heavy and a little sleety now here.. Temp 2.4c

Yes, sleet here too earlier this morning but it's now reverted to rain as the intensity has lessened.

Not the ideal day to be  walking the moors although I have seen a few hardy ( and wet ) souls out and about.

Posted

I notice once again those -5 850hPa temp's at the last minute getting mixed out, will the -5 isotherm even reach this winter I wonder :lol:, had some very heavy rain around 9:30am, light and patchy now though rather gusty and mild at 7.5c

Posted

There's time yet for colder air later.. Temp here 3.8c Dp 3.1c, N,E 14mph. a mix of rain and sleet so far.

Posted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

met office 5 day shows heavy snow for here 3.00am Tuesday, although they tend to change every 3 hours, first time upgraded from rain/sleet/icy rain, now snow.

Posted

Can I please be allowed to shoot the next person that mentions 'mini tornado'???? >< Damn local media cannot help themselves, they ought to report on the mini hail storm and mini floods and mini sunny periods too!

Hey cyclonic happiness, brace yourself... three mentions of that term in this BBC News article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25902371 (Not this area mind, so slightly off-topic for this thread)