Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 14/1/14 21z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Yes- I wonder why 0.2 though? Perhaps because anything less, even one raindrop, was being recorded as 0.1 (or 0.01") in the past?

0.2 mm, or 0.01" was chosen as the lower limit for a rain day as it was generally considered that this amount, under most circumstances, would be produced by genuine rain, rather than fog drip, condensation or dew.

Of course all of it counts towards the daily/monthly/ annual total but a limit lower than 0.2mm would produce a number of 'rain days' when it hadn't actually rained.

There are occasions when there's sufficient dew, fog drip or rime melt to produce 0.2 mm or even more but these are relatively uncommon. and probably account for only a handful of rain days a year, when it hasn't actually rained, at most sites .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

16.2mm of rain so far today with S/W  Gales touching 70 mph.

Currently heavy rain and gusty winds, Temp 5.2c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

16.2mm of rain so far today with S/W  Gales touching 70 mph.

Currently heavy rain and gusty winds, Temp 5.2c.

shockingly mild for that location that, amazed you havent seen much snow, would have thought this would be an Xceptionally snowy setup for that area

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Some scary wind gusts now, the worst I think so far this winter.

Posted

Iz it my imagination, or is it still autumn? to me the weather has not really changed since 0ctober holiday week, seems to have been november now for 4 months

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Gusts here are the highest I've seen all winter and the sustained wind earlier was fierce. Funny when there isn't a warning this time. The length of the gusts and wind today seem to be the problem. Not sure when they are due to die down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heavy Rain

An arwful lot of rain in 7 catchment area today with more to come tomorrow and levels already high.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Iz it my imagination, or is it still autumn? to me the weather has not really changed since 0ctober holiday week, seems to have been november now for 4 months

It's funny you should say that. I can't get out of my head the fact that we started spring 2013 six weeks late, all the plants' flowering etc was 6 weeks later than usual, and that pattern kept on the same all summer.So, yes, by my reckoning we're in the middle of a stormy, mild, mid December!

Posted

14.5mm rain fell here yesterday, winds were very strong overnight, some scary gusts but this morning it's all calm and dry. Just wondering whether that low further south is actually going to move any further northwards, although I see the MetO has it positioned over us by midnight so I'm guessing we're in for more rain.

Posted

Truly unpleasant afternoon - thick hill fog has closed in, it's raining and 4.5oC.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Temp dropping steadily now...

was 5.7C at 16:00 now 4.7C and heavier rain expected later on.

MIA

Posted

Was dry 5c earlier now 3.8c drizzle.... Could evap cooling come in to play and give some snow tonight.....latest forecast says torrential rain between 21z and 0z....with 22mm precip in that time....

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted

Heavy Sleet here with the odd flake mixed in, Temp 1.4c.

• Like 1

Posted

Heavy Sleet here with the odd flake mixed in, Temp 1.4c.

Bring it on.....if heavier stuff can come in i bet youll get snow falling too....evap cooling please....;)just checked out its sleety but still light....its best described as splodgy....oh and 2.9 c.... Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted

Heaviest of the rain just south west of here but truly miserable at 3.9c.

Charts very much business as usual sticking to the script of the winter, the sub -4 upper's have now vanished for next week and stormzilla's have reappeared as I expected Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Yup quite a few reports of snow across wales aswell!!interesting how east midlands airport was reporting a temp of 4 degrees bout 30 minutes ago and oxfordshire which is about 80 miles away was at 10 degrees!!big temperature difference if you ask me!!with the cold air digging in later on in the night more places could see a wintry mix!!

Posted

Facebook suggests snow now seems to be settling in the higher parts of Derbyshire and Staffordshire... can anyone confirm?

upper air temps look above zero in our area, felt mild today, mildest feeling day certainly of Feb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Rain seems to be going just north of my location at the moment.. good news for me as im at work soon

call me strange but I almost wish that this part was seeing high rainfall totals, with no rivers to flood, and being high up only big puddles would occur really.. im sure it wouldn't be as bad here if we had the same rainfall totals as what places like somerset are seeing the past few months! I do feel awfully sorry for them 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The rain turned to sleet yesterday evening and there's more sleet falling now. Temp' is 1.8c.

• Like 1

Posted

Another horrible, bleak, cold winter's (autumn) day, no real end in sight for the country. It's really starting to get me down now, the endless bouts of riding into work in the rain, riding back soaking wet.

This winter has to be the worst I've ever known, not only for lack of snow, but for the sheer bordom of seeing rain practically every day since october.

GO AWAY WINTER!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Are you on horse back CH...

Sleet again here earlyer, but now eased with light winds. Temp 2.6c.

• Like 1

Posted

16.0mm of rain overnight, now clearing skies, perhaps some sun later. I can see snow on the Welsh mountains from here! Currently 2.8oC.

• Like 1