Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 14/1/14 21z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Cell nearing Wolverhampton looks lively although no sferics as yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

That shower approaching Solihull.

Wind rising streadily and the rain getting heavier with the temperature steady at 5.9C

Of  interest  (maybe), I just topped 100 mms (by 0.3mms) at 11:30ast night!!.

However I think we had more than that as the local wether station recorded 160mms.

I have just seen on the otherblog that in windy conditions the wind blows over the top of airborne recorders and so not so much is recorded, (By as much as 50%). So I found that interesting as mine is at 2metres in height.

I shall do more comparisons with both the Elmdon and Shirley in the future.

MIA.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

Well in the past hour, it's gone fairly cloudy and teh wind's still picking up - but no rain as of yet, but I think it should be hitting us very soon.

Current View (17:03)

Posted Image

Posted

I reckon this might just about be the stormiest day of the winter so far. We've had some astonishing gusts of wind since late afternoon, and lots of very heavy, squally showers with plenty more lined up seemingly.

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Chucking it down here, we just had that intense patch on the radar pass over us. Has been very gusty too. Currently 3.7oC.

Posted

Winds seem much calmer, still showery and a milder feel than earlier. These mild then cold sectors, rinse repeat, sure do follow like night follows day!Concern for next week is still ongoing - the word 'unprecedented' has been banded about by a few weather pros. Even if the current spell was to revert back to something much more settled, drier in say a weeks time, it has definitely been an unprecedented spell of unsettled and often stormy weather.Perhaps more worrying - is worse yet to come and before we can all finally wave adios to this pesky, bothersome jet-stream...

It feels like historic weather, it's just relentless. I have an ex-pat mate on facebook from Utah and she cannot believe how bad British winters are. it's so depressing, but in a way, I want to know how far it will go?

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A much calmer morning here, with the odd sunny spell and light winds, going to make the most of it later !

Temp 3.4c 

Look at this beast coming.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

A much calmer morning here, with the odd sunny spell and light winds, going to make the most of it later !

Temp 3.4c 

Look at this beast coming.

Posted ImagePosted Image

my god that is scary!!!lives might be at risk I fear!!looks pretty bad across the midlands if the nmm is right!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

We're definitely beyond the point of no return.... :) Bad timing though to be back this Winter? Wettest January for some since records began says it all really. Just hope we haven't all developed webbed feet as a result lol..

What point of no return do you mean?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Despite the inconvenience and to some even bothersome weather, we can't do much about it now..on the basis more is yet to come! Looking at that possible monster low, should it remain there in a more reliable time-frame, this one could out do all of the others, which really Is saying something...As per forecasts today remains much calmer, so far dry and increasingly sunny. Just the tonic :)

Ah, I thought you meant point of no return re : ever getting snow this winter.....!

Posted

Beefy shower just arrived to spoil what has been an otherwise rather pleasant sunny day in the garden!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Today is Candlemas Day and folklore suggests "if its fair and bright winter will have another fight". For the uninitiated Candlemas Day is the Christian commemoration of the presentation of Jesus in the Temple at Jerusalem and the purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary as ordained in the Jewish Law (Torah) by Yahweh the God of Israel in Leviticus 12.

It is known in the States as Groundhog Day and Punxsutawney Phil has indeed popped out of his burrow this Sunday morning, predicting six more weeks of Winter - ie. rain and gales!

http://www.usatoday....y-phil/5101379/

Today we are halfway between the Winter Solstice and the Vernal Equinox ie. Midwinter. It also coincides with Imbolic the ancient Pagan Festival.

If Candlemas Day be fair and bright
Winter will have another fight.
If Candlemas Day brings cloud and rain,
Winter won't come again.

If Candlemas Day be dry and fair,
The half o the winter's to come and mair;
If Candlemas Day be wet and foul,
The half o the winter's gane at Yule.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Had an incredible day in Cornwall today exploring the North Coast! Was sunny and mild actually. Warm in the sun out of the wind. Really nice day. Got to see the storm surge at Perranporth this evening too. Nothing too bad as the winds were light but waves were starting to overtop the wall a bit with nearby properties sandbagged and floodgates up. Quite surreal, especially seeing the incoming stream overwhelmed and then flowing backwards whilst the tide came in!!!

Will be interesting here on Tuesday evening with 70-90mph gusts looking possible. This time it could be very bad here as the winds will be SSE/SE which leaves Falmouth VERY Exposed.

Back in Stourbridge on Wednesday night. Looks like snow chances are fairly low but maybe some wintry showers.

• Like 1

Posted

A dry cloudy morning here with blustery S/E winds. It's not looking to bad, should be mainly dry today here..

Temp 3.4c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Yesterday was the first completely dry day ( ie not even 0.1 mm from 0900-0900) here since December 17th.

• Like 1

Posted

The most interesting thing I I could find for us midlanders in this dire winter is the chart at 96 hours from the ecm!!defo one to keep an eye on as it could bring some snowfall on the northern flank of the low as it hits the cold air!!but then again ecm could send it further south again this evening!!uppers are -3/-4 at the time so sshould be cold enough in a slack flow!!

post-9030-0-75247000-1391420349_thumb.pn

Edited by shaky
  • Like 1

Posted

Tuesday night into Wednesday looks like being yet another biggie, some very strong gusts forecast for our region from the S/SE.

Bish

Posted

Indeed Bish, with talk of circa 60mph gusts even for inland areas, this will be on par to the storms over the festive period. Re rainfall, even inbetween any more organised bands, plenty of shower trains only adding to totals.Fri into Sat also throwing up yet another chance of some severe weather - never known a period like it tbh..

I can't help but think 'She cannae take any more, cap'n!' (the Legendary Scotty of Star Trek) every time I see another forecast of stormy weather and high winds.

Today was actually dry here! Not looking forward to another drenching.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

The most interesting thing I I could find for us midlanders in this dire winter is the chart at 96 hours from the ecm!!defo one to keep an eye on as it could bring some snowfall on the northern flank of the low as it hits the cold air!!but then again ecm could send it further south again this evening!!uppers are -3/-4 at the time so sshould be cold enough in a slack flow!!

GFS only gives sleet, not being mentioned much on here, so I assume snow not a possibility for low levels

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Hope this 18Z is wrong for Thursday, not had many washouts for a few months, but Thursday 6th looks horrendous

Posted

Would also be nice to think that we'll get a fantastically pleasant and warm Spring as pay off Posted Image

I don't think it works like that TX1, but I like the idea! Posted Image

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

Bit nippy in the breeze outside, besides that, it's alright looking outside - for the time being.

Current View (15:00)

Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

Here we go again..

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-14.90,50.54,1349

Believe the very worst of the winds (mids zone) are expected early hours until lunchtime ish tomorrow. Bits in between? gale or severe gale force gusts. One plus point, been a dry day.

That's a wonderful (and scary) picture of the winds and speeds!

92mph gust report at 17.00 in the Scilly isles!

Just further underlining potential for later. Not really a night to be heading out in all honesty, things will go down rapidly into the night.

I think some records may be broken. It's all pretty quiet here at the moment, just a very light wind, hard to believe that storm's on the way. Currently 5.2oC.

Posted

Wind picking up a little here Gusting 42mph East a few mins ago,  temp 3.5c.