Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 14/1/14 21z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

The return of the finches...............

Don't worry guys, the birds are telling me they have the bearing of  the models.......

This morning my garden is full of finches. I've seen goldfinches, my gardens chaffinch and also bullfinches. Tits are also feeding hungrily.

I havn't  seen them at all before during this terrible winter. (Too much food in the country).

So lets trust the birds!!!!

MIA

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

On the subject of rain, our running total for January is now just over 175mm — very wet for here. Dreadful. There will be people who are truly enjoying the wetness and rain this winter, I wonder who they are.

Gaz1985, Richie V, and Gavin! oh yeah and Bobby, dosent seem to have been that wet here thankfully, river in town nowhere near flooded, known it way wetter than this, child of nadine, and 0ct-nov '00

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

On the subject of rain, our running total for January is now just over 175mm — very wet for here. Dreadful. There will be people who are truly enjoying the wetness and rain this winter, I wonder who they are.

I am a rainfall enthusiast and I know TM is too

Posted

Theres a couple of nice songs for you and TM in the music thread Rhianna`s Umbrella and only happy when it rains(I put the last one inPosted Image )

• Like 2

Posted

Even the ducks are getting fed up now. Been raining most of the day occasionally taunting us with bright spells.

The Severn is starting to flood now, wont take much more to get it on the car parks. But the fields are totally saturated and have been for weeks, they are overflowing onto the roads. We desperatel need either a good freeze or a dry 2 weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Give up on snow now, I have excepted its going to be a snowless winter now. Looking at the models plenty of rain and wind to come yipppeee I haven't seen that before.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Absolutely right, Tony.

If it's not going to be snowy and cold in winter then the weather since mid December is my second favourite; frequent gales and large amounts of rain. I'd be quite happy if it stayed like this for the whole year!

I try not to mention it too much as the vast majority on here hate the current weather and I've no real wish to appear as if I'm poking them with a sharp stick. Occasionally though, like now, the euphoria gets the better of me.

Just short of 170 mm here this month which makes it the 5th wettest January in the last 37 years. It will take a real effort though to reach 1984 ( which is 4th in the list ) when 199.7mm was recorded.

It's been dry here since the heavy showers early this morning moved through but a look at the current radar indicates there are more showers to come later this afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted

Even the ducks are getting fed up now. Been raining most of the day occasionally taunting us with bright spells.The Severn is starting to flood now, wont take much more to get it on the car parks. But the fields are totally saturated and have been for weeks, they are overflowing onto the roads. We desperatel need either a good freeze or a dry 2 weeks.

Thing is we all know that eventually, sooner or later nature will balance things out,  high pressure will then dominate and we will get several dry months (hopefully coinciding with June to August!).

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 1

Posted

Thing is we all know that eventually, sooner or later nature will balance things out,  high pressure will then dominate and we will get several dry months (hopefully coinciding with June to August!).

I was thinking strangely enough, how damp winter 94-95 was; there was barely a dry day from Christmas to late Feb although it had produced some wintry weather by this point. Then it snowed in March and the summer......
  • Like 1

Posted

I was thinking strangely enough, how damp winter 94-95 was; there was barely a dry day from Christmas to late Feb although it had produced some wintry weather by this point. Then it snowed in March and the summer......

The river severn is coming well out now,been down to have a look its heading your way,don`t know what the Vyrnwy is like.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Grand total of 171mm for this month - and looks like more to come on Friday with yet another Atlantic low, so I expect January's total will still go up. Today hasn't been too bad here, mainly dry and sunny, but with a cold wind.

Posted

Was that, that thundersnow I remember in Nuneaton market place? I clearly remember it being either late april or early may and then getting a 10 minute blizzard that sent the town running for cover, then the temps shot back up to around 60'f?

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Moderate rain here, Temp 3.8c N/W 12mph

Posted

Was that, that thundersnow I remember in Nuneaton market place? I clearly remember it being either late april or early may and then getting a 10 minute blizzard that sent the town running for cover, then the temps shot back up to around 60'f?

Might have been late April, about the 17-18th there was snow showers during the day despite temps reaching around 8C (which felt warmer) in the sunshine. It had been in the high teens the week before, went up to the high 20s at the start of May, then we had frost and even snow in mid-May. Crazy spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

Lowest it got to in the past 24 hours was at 3:15-3:30am, 4:45am and 6:00-6:15am with a temp of 4.8°C.

Chart of previous 24 hours

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Some snow popping up on the brum weather forecast. Both on NW and meto.

Ooh, ooh - I've got a flake forecast at 9am tomorrow!No, wait, that's sleet..... Sigh.

Posted

Typically, tomorrow is the coldest day, and not a single drip of precipitation is forecast to fall.

Just noticed that we have a sleet icon for Saturday at 3am in the morning. I won't be getting up to see if it happens — if it was snow I would.

Posted

Here we go then... chance of some light snow showers throughout the next 48 hours espec, E Mids... wouldn't normally be too pleased with this but considering the fact its the 29th of January and I am yet to see snow fall this winter, I'll take it! Looking forward to seeing the first flakes of the season.

Posted

Grey skys and light showers here at Bakwell where im working, feeling cooler today, theres a chance of wintry showers later this afternoon onwards, we shall see..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Grey skys and light showers here at Bakwell where im working, feeling cooler today, theres a chance of wintry showers later this afternoon onwards, we shall see..

Looks like some precipitation coming our way, slowly, from the east. Might be good for wintery showers if it arrives after dark? Temp here is dropping, we're at 3.9oC, dewpoint's 2.8oC.

Posted

Rain here but there's definitely a few flakes in there. Makes it the first flakes I've seen this winter.

Awful winter, I'm not optimistic for Feb either. Roll on summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Rain here but there's definitely a few flakes in there. Makes it the first flakes I've seen this winter.Awful winter, I'm not optimistic for Feb either. Roll on summer.

Goodness, I'm not far from you and it is pure rain here with a temp of 5 and a dp of 4! Must be a real variation in temps locally.