Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 14/1/14 21z ------>

A.J

Posted

Just imagine if that band of rain sliding south had been snow instead..............it'd be an absolute bloodbath in here!

Posted Image

Bish

I am hoping we don't get a channel low.... nothing worse to see a very heavy band of snow stall 8 miles to your south, Bedford, Milton Keynes 30cm, Northampton nowt..Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Had a few drops this morning but most of the rain stayed over Wales... now as for next week- any chance of Cheshire gap snow showers? They are always the best hope in a NW-ly but the wind must be right, too much W and they pile into the Pennines instead. Very, very optimistically- a repeat of Xmas day 2004???

Posted

Think Sunday Evening/Night is best chance at the minute but winds may be a bit to westerly, everything beyond that still FI imo though an easterly of some sorts since more likely than NW's at this stage.

In the meantime this morning's front has withered into barely even drizzle, currently dull and mucky at 5.4c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

Just imagine if that band of rain sliding south had been snow instead..............it'd be an absolute bloodbath in here!

Posted Image

Bish

I was hoping for something like that myself. :/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Posted Image

Bish

Ooh Bish - stop teasing.....

Posted

Ooh Bish - stop teasing.....

I was hoping for something like that myself. :/

I think both of you have missed bish point... if that rain band sliding south today was snow, we in the midlands would have missed out. hence the bloodbath comment. Posted Image

Edited by lancs_northants
  • Like 2

Posted

I think both of you have missed bish point... if that rain band sliding south today was snow, we in the midlands would have missed out. hence the bloodbath comment. Posted Image

That's right. Just imagine watching an enormous wall of snow slowly closing in on the Midlands, only to watch it inexplicably fizzle and fade just is it reaches the Welsh borders..............aarrgghhhh! Posted Image

Bish

• Like 1

Posted

If think we're in with a good shout think the models with now start modeling the block stronger, as we've seen today fronts aren't moving across like forecast. If we can get -3 to -5 uppers with stalling fronts I will be happy and I think it will be busy on here :) here's to tonight's 12z

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Snow cover melted away by 11am, It's now very dull with heavy drizzle, Temp 3.2c  

Posted

"Proper" rain started here in the last few minutes — wet, dull and miserable. Yuk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

Drizzle for most of the day. I was cheered a bit by reading the model output forum.

Posted

Different? 

Posted Image

Most of the west mids is snowless on that, but it's still a ton better than what we have been having.

Posted

Different?

Posted Image

Triple what's the chart like 6 hours before/after ? Or however many hours it runs 2/4/6/8 Edited by Wadey

Posted

How can it be sleet here? the upper are +4'c??? It's definitely sleet, I've just got drenched on my motorbike and sat at the traffic lights watching it fall!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Very good UKMO, average ECM but not without interest and kind of a meh either/or GFS

Better than the last few months though, so here's hoping we are on the right track.

Posted

Very good UKMO, average ECM but not without interest and kind of a meh either/or GFS

Better than the last few months though, so here's hoping we are on the right track.

i'm still on the fence with this saga.

been watching the mod thread for the last week and there is definite interest there no doubt, i really don't want to get my hopes up to high.

people say with an easterly you need the ukmet model on board and that has been leading the way, the ecm operationals seem to be (correct me if wrong) a little too progressive compared to the mean

all signs point to a cold plunge but how cold and for how long.?

if some of the charts that have been showing come to fruition, then one thing is for sure the midlands will get a pasting Posted Image

if the charts are still as good come sundays 12z's i'm in with both feet , and shall be telling all and sundry snowmaggeddon is coming!!

Posted

Next week still to far away for me to get excited, GFS still rather poor/bland and it's been one of the most consistent models thus far, the problem recently has been that all amplification/undercutting goes out the window come the day and the sub -4 upper's always end up mixed out.