Sign in to follow this  
The PIT

Ready for more Riots?

A poorly explained Judge decision, A vigil for  Mark Duggan A high Police present for the football match around the same time. Is it me or are all the ingredients there to create a flash point very easily?

I do not intend to go into the rights and wrongs of the inquest Jury's decision because to be perfectly honest I do not have a clue.

All I am going to say it concerns me that the media coverage, especially television stations seem to be almost encouraging something to happen. On the day of the judgement there was an awful lot of coverage along those lines.

the last thing we want is riots as it will hurt those most at risk in society, i.e. the poor as well as being very unpleasant for the police offices, most of whom are decent people like the rest of us.

I pray that the vigil passes peacefully as the Duggan family have requested.

Kind Regards

Dave

Very well said, I hope that the media do not hype this up as "potential" news.

Some people will utilise any excuse to riot and unfortunately this could be another one of those, as for the Duggan case itself well you live by the sword you die by the sword.

A poorly explained Judge decision, A vigil for  Mark Duggan A high Police present for the football match around the same time. Is it me or are all the ingredients there to create a flash point very easily?

As a plus point, at least there should be an enhanced police presence. Glad they haven`t postponed the football as I think it may have given the wrong signal i.e the police wouldn`t be able to contain the public.

Well it would be completely disrespectful to the young man's family whose Grandmother has appealed for quiet, something which was said during the BBC coverage a few days ago.

Can't remember any riots in winter before.

Yes that would be interesting to watch, Instead of throwing bricks at the police it could be one big snowball fight! If we had any that is (snow)

Andy Bown, I couldn't agree with you more Posted Image But also why can't the match be be played on Sunday instead,

As there is no other games been played in London tomorrow.

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Riots are stupid, demonstrations are not, at least with the latter people are not injured, business and homes not destroyed, taxpayers money not used to repair/replace/pay for it and insurance prems go up for it.

Never ever will I see a reason to riot, no matter the cause, anyone involved in such an activity should be punished hard.

Demonstrate yes, destroy?

There'll be a riot at Asda today if they've run out of KP dry roasted peanuts again.

Demonstrations are it seems being slowly discouraged, those in charge don't like any form of dissent...more laws, more red tape and sad to say it more people getting angry due to the gradual erosion of free democracy...Caught a news snippet not too long ago - the possible re introduction of water cannon, possibly in part response to the riots regarding the aforementioned case above.Looking back in history, even more recent stories in other countries where whole populations begin to feel short changed for numerous reasons - sometimes just sometimes they come out en mass.

OK but during a riot it is your home or business destroyed? how would you feel about their "demonstration" then?

just a point

There'll be a riot at Asda today if they've run out of KP dry roasted peanuts again.

Planters is better IMHO

Water cannon would have been perfect for the last set of riots. It may have saved some innocents peoples livelihoods from being wrecked and shops being looted.

To me today is close to lighting a bonfire on the moors in the biggest drought for years you may get away with it you may not.

Hopefully trouble makers will stay away.

Many felt very disgruntled with the 'poll-tax' and we all know what happened next....And so we stumble on...the big stick as opposed to the carrot approach, still what do I know.

People support demonstrations as soon as it descends into violence caused by demonstrators your message is lost. If the Police over react and way into peaceful demonstrations then the state looks bad and the demonstrators message is stronger.

Many felt very disgruntled with the 'poll-tax' and we all know what happened next....And so we stumble on...the big stick as opposed to the carrot approach, still what do I know.

yet the poll tax was quite a fair tax, more so in this day and age with more single people living alone, they would all be better off now.

Whether Duggan was lawfully killed or not, it certainly wasn't due to his race. So what were those riots about exactly? And possible more riots?  Just an excuse to cause chaos I think. At the hint of another riot, get the army in immediately I say, there must be no repeat of the last bout of mayhem where so many innocent people suffered.

Edited by Bobby

yet the poll tax was quite a fair tax, more so in this day and age with more single people living alone, they would all be better off now.

I believe the basic principle was good, where Maggie fell down was in it's execution - it would have been a lot fairer and probably cheaper to collect if it were to have been added as a deduction in pay packets in the same way NI contributions are taken now - this way it would have meant people would have been paying the tax proportionate to their earnings. As it was I ended up paying my son's poll tax whilst he was at university and not in paid employment, which I did not consider fair.

As far as the Inquest into the death of Duggan was concerned a jury of 10 members of the public listened to all the evidence over a period of 3 months and not just sound bites as the rest of us hear, so we should respect their decision.

As it was Duggan was hardly a pillar of society having numerous convictions for quite serious offences, so it is understandable that the police knowing of his past record would have been somewhat apprehensive when approaching him - after all they are also human beings, many with wives and families to support and it is quite likely that they would have been in fear of losing their lives.

Having said that I would have thought that the most likely time for riots would have been immediately after the verdict was announced but I would caution people to be on the alert until after this weekend - a few people crying into their beer could be such a thing to set it off, though the more time which elapses between cause and effect, the better and as time recedes it will become less and less likely for this particular reason.

But that is not to say that the idiots won't dream up another excuse at a later date. 

Funny how some 'riots' in other countries have overturned some pretty nasty despots, rulers, whatever else you want to call them...

...only for another to fill the void, in most cases!

As far as the Inquest into the death of Duggan was concerned a jury of 10 members of the public listened to all the evidence over a period of 3 months and not just sound bites as the rest of us hear, so we should respect their decision.

As it was Duggan was hardly a pillar of society having numerous convictions for quite serious offences, so it is understandable that the police knowing of his past record would have been somewhat apprehensive when approaching him

I'm not sure he did have numerous convictions Mike. Although he had been arrested for suspected murder and attempted murder. Not that I'm disagreeing with the rest of your post. The Times ran an article yesterday alleging connections to the infamous Noonan gang in Manchester to whom he was related. I don't think there is much doubt he was an extremely dangerous individual. Anyway the jury heard the evidence and that's that.

IF required a water cannon combined with temps close to zero would send any rioters scurrying back to their warm beds PDQ.

I'm not sure he did have numerous convictions Mike. Although he had been arrested for suspected murder and attempted murder. Not that I'm disagreeing with the rest of your post. The Times ran an article yesterday alleging connections to the infamous Noonan gang in Manchester to whom he was related. I don't think there is much doubt he was an extremely dangerous individual. Anyway the jury heard the evidence and that's that.

Doesn't matter whether he was a nasty person or not that's beside the point.

To me the biggest problem is that they haven't explained why the Coroner gave the verdict. That doesn't help things.

However if the verdict had been different and it was unlawful they would have lost in a court of law.

The good things out of. The police will be carrying camera's. However if they do have a major misjudgement in future I wouldn't be surprised if the films accidentally got lost, strangely were switched off at the time or were badly corrupted or simply edited at the vital point or given to total buffoon who messes up any processing.

Doesn't matter whether he was a nasty person or not that's beside the point.

I don't think nasty person equates with dangerous individual. The former is not likely to kill you.

I don't think nasty person equates with dangerous individual. The former is not likely to kill you.

Still doesn't make any difference though. If I blew away a gangster in a pub I don't think anybody would turn around and say well he's was dangerous individual well done.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/10/boris-johnson-water-cannon-contempt-people-mayor

Hate to think should anyone innocent getting injured or worse eh? keep the plebs at bay..still, there's always the sorry, lessons shall be learnt type script there afterwards...why don't we bring back the stocks too, belongs in any civilized society?

Together with the public floggings and executions at half time in the local football grounds - it would boost their gate figures :D

The nastier they are the more likely they are to kill you Posted Image On the other hand, Young, the Bovingdon poisoner was very affable with the people he was killing - he would give them cups of tea, then note their symptoms Posted Image