Sign in to follow this  
R.P. McMurphy

What is it with people in meetings?

OK, not sure if this is just my experiences, or anyone else's, so would like to find out...

I have just brought over a Director of a company from Sweden to do a powerpoint presentation to my staff to familiarise them with some new innovative products I am purchasing. In this meeting, we had:

Myself X1 Senior Manager (40's) X2 Low Managers (40's) X2 Members of Staff (20's & 30's)

As our man from Sweden began to start his presentation, I noticed some people couldn't keep their face straight, and was smirking. Another was kicking anothers leg when the presenters back was turned. One kept poking the other, and one was making jokes. Now this wouldn't normally happen outside of this meeting, and one of them is a Senior manager within the company handling multi million pound accounts, and is always professional.

Also take note, these are all mature men, not children; So, what is it that makes them act in this way within a meeting? Why do they suddenly become very childish? I don't understand... Anyone?

Edited by Glenn W

Was his fly up Posted Image

Can't say I noticed, but wasn't that...

It was like they all developed a strange syndrome of child like behaviour.

I have seen this in a lot of meetings.

Strange...

perhaps its the classroom effect, where people reminisce back to schooldays.

not behaviour i would like to see in any type of meeting; be it formal or not. personally i would be sending out an e-mail after the meeting (regardless of seniority) if i saw that going on. just to remind people of the etiquette required at such events.

fortunately 90% of our meetings are by VTC and this makes such behaviour avoidable Posted Image

Edited by MAF

Maybe you are correct MAF...

I didn't want to go into specifics, but they all work for me and have been dealt with appropriately, but I just needed to find out why 45 year old men are poking each other in a meeting?

Because you work with a bunch of unprofessional buffons..you should fire them and get some decent staff..i would have stopped the meeting and given them a b#llocking

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 1

Times lots...

But wherever I have worked, many different companies, many different people, I see the same thing:?

An awful lot of people have lost the ability to concentrate for more than a nano second let alone show respect. Nothing infuriates me more than people who take laptops etc into meetings and spend their time typing you have no idea if they are paying attention or doing other work. The price of the technology age I suppose

• Like 1

I didn't hire them... Other thing is, outside of the meeting = very good at their job &* professional...

i have never come across this in meetings..its just plain disrespectful and unprofessional.

• Like 1

We had it in one of our meetings yesterday - not my team tho! slightly more of a wideboy bunch than us, and they spent two hours letting each other's hydraulic chairs down, throwing biscuits and heckling. All are 35+ easily...

I don't know what it is either *Stern HR Face*

Posted Image

• Like 1

Maybe they were bored cos the presentation was the sort of thing to send you to sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Most likely.... or what they were being shown was nothing new but rather than appearing rude by coming right out and saying so, decided to be rude by devising alternative entertainment whilst letting the presenter say his piece. Seen it a thousand times myself....

It's classroom syndrome. I lecture 18-22 year olds mostly plus MBA students and have had to become thick skinned to a degree of that kind of behaviour, although actually nothing like on the scale you describe, my students wouldn't be allowed to behave that way in class. At least they stayed in the room - MBA students, perhaps due to their 'business training', will come and go in and out of the room as they please, which is really annoying. 

• Like 1

Oh meetings, I remember them from my time employed by a large corporation. Useless powerpoint presentations with massive text so you get about 4 bullet points per page. 2 hours of complete drivel ending in 20mins of working out when the next meeting was going to be. I walked of one management meeting saying I had work to do!
  • Like 1

Hi..had to reply because there was an episode of "Frazier" where he and his bro enroll for evening classes(cant remember what for)anyway these two are fine upstanding icons of the Seattle upper class but when they are put in a classroom,they 're transformed into hooligans, eventually getting thrown off the course..they get their certificates printed off on the way home..................must admit I've been silly in meetings too..rick