Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 10/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

If just had this on my 'Clear Day' app..... Is it right???

Kind of Grace. There are some reasonably low temps in places over night tonight which could turn some of the water on the roads into ice.

Snow? - remind me, what's that again please?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I know we have our own exceptional Strat thread but sometimes I get lost with the jargon. The image and description below sums up nice laymen term description. Also very excited about this.

Posted Image

Lower zonal strat. winds = weaker polar vortex = better chance of northern blocking and cold at the mid-latitudes. Potential SSW? Maybe...

We want to see those zonal winds forecasted to dip below the 0 level through the stratosphere on those charts ( positive numbers = zonal polar westerlies and negative numbers below the line  = easterly zonal winds) and then see those easterly winds pushed to our surface troposphere so that pressure builds to our north and increases the chance of cold and snow. It is the negative numbers we want to see in order to be looking at an SSW. 

Still too far out atm but signs continue to look promising for something hopefully significant as get into the start of February. Poleward EP flux is what we want to see also in association with predicted warmingPosted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Kind of Grace. There are some reasonably low temps in places over night tonight which could turn some of the water on the roads into ice.

Snow? - remind me, what's that again please?

Isn't it that stuff they use in boxes for packing Coast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

I know we have our own exceptional Strat thread but sometimes I get lost with the jargon. The image and description below sums up nice laymen term description. Also very excited about this.

Posted Image

Lower zonal strat. winds = weaker polar vortex = better chance of northern blocking and cold at the mid-latitudes. Potential SSW? Maybe...

Lets hope so Jason....I dont think any of us can take much more of this.....

• Like 1

Posted

That is a serious on slaught of very heavy showers moving in.. I think the levels of the river going down today are going to be straight back up Posted Image

Look what else is coming into the straits of The English Channel:

post-6667-0-37201600-1389617169_thumb.jp

Posted Image

Isn't it that stuff they use in boxes for packing Coast.

I wish it was, I'd cover the SE and EA with it! Posted Image

Edited by Coast
  • Like 1

Posted

Posted

Right feel slightly better today have had the lurgy otherwise known as "Man Flu". Nasty dose totally poleaxed me. Nice to see Jan back posting, welcome back Jan.

Err guys I think the lack of cold is my fault I have been waiting for my weather station to turn up and it arrived today, needs a bit of DIY to fix it up outside but should be ready to go at the weekend so the cold can arrive then. Posted Image. Coast I'll have you on speed dial a the weekend in case I need help Posted Image .

• Like 1

Posted

Coast I'll have you on speed dial a the weekend in case I need help Posted Image .

I'm not putting that anemometer up on your roof though Jules! :ph34r:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Warning of Ice for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Buckinghamshire, Milton Keynes, Slough, Surrey, Windsor and Maidenhead, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Oxfordshire, Reading, Southampton, West Berkshire & Wokingham

Yellow Warning of Ice for East of England :

Cambridgeshire, Peterborough, Bedford, Central Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire & Luton

A combination of clear spells and light winds will allow road temperatures to fall below freezing on Monday evening across northwestern parts of the UK, and then overnight and into Tuesday morning further south and east. This will allow icy stretches to form on untreated surfaces. The public are advised to take extra care and be aware of the risk of some minor travel disruption.

Issued at:

1052 on Mon 13 Jan 2014

Valid from:

1700 on Mon 13 Jan 2014

Valid to:

1000 on Tue 14 Jan 2014

Following rain or showers on Monday, clearing skies will allow road temperatures to fall below freezing quite widely on Monday evening and night, leading to icy stretches on untreated surfaces which will last well into Tuesday morning. In addition, further showers may affect parts of Scotland, northern England and North Wales overnight which may lead to wash-off of earlier road treatment, enhancing the risk of ice formation. These showers could also give some accumulations of snow on routes above about 300m.

There is some uncertainty over the timing of clearance of cloud and rain towards the south eastern boundary of the yellow area, and hence also the risk of ice, so this warning may be adjusted later Monday or overnight.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=uk&from=rss&sn=D6088CF0-94E6-5984-7844-8B2BECCF4924_1_EE&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1389571200

• Like 1

Posted

Afternoon all,  Just catching up with stuff now after spending the morning sitting an exam (which I passed thankfully, not sure of my marks yet just that I got more than 85% which was the requirement) phew !!

Now for a few hours work before I can concentrate on other things like the weather here and more importantly digging out the summer clothes ready to pack the suitcases  Posted Image

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Hail here in brentford. Surfaces white temporarily and temperature dropped.

• Like 6

Posted
More flooding expected in south-east as persistent rainfall arrives tomorrow

Further flooding is expected in waterlogged southern England over the coming days. Around 640 homes and businesses have been flooded following persistent heavy rainfall since the beginning of 2014. Today, the Environment Agency's flood risk manager Katharine Evans warned: "There is a continued risk of flooding in southern England, especially Dorset, south Wiltshire, Somerset and the Thames valley, and we urge people to remain vigilant and prepared to take action. "Environment Agency teams continue to work to work around the clock, maintaining flood defences, clearing watercourses and deploying pumps and temporary defences to protect communities at risk."

More than 1,700 homes and businesses have been flooded in England since the beginning of the Christmas period and eight people have died. In most areas, river levels along the Thames have been stabilising or falling, although groundwater levels remain high. River levels also remain high in parts of Hampshire, Berkshire, Surrey, West Sussex, Hampshire, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire. At present, the Environment Agency has put in place 64 flood warnings - indicating expected flooding with immediate action required. Of these, 40 are in the south-east.

The agency has also issued 107 flood alerts, indicating a less severe threat, with 70 in the south-east. Met Office forecaster Helen Roberts warned of the threat of persistent rain on Tuesday and Wednesday. She added: "The rain is going to affect all parts of the UK but the places seeing problems are those which have already experienced problems, such as the south and south-east. "It's going to be very unwelcome rain there and that's where it's going to be the most persistent."

*Sigh*

Posted

had a shower here on the island now the sun is back out lol

Welcome to the regional thread TG28 Posted Image

Also hope Luke and anyone else who is feeling under the weather at the moment makes a speedy recovery Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

Hello all, I see the cloud is in Booo to the westerlies. Here we go 3 stunning goooey pics for this afternoon. More later.

Puuurfect

Posted Image

Wake us when dinner is ready.

Posted Image

Maroon Bells, Aspen, Colorado

Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted

Channel getting lively Posted Image

coast what you reckon on that mass of very heavy rain now coming into View on the Tip of France..

I reckon it will fall right over me, just as the millions of millions of litres of it seem to have done for the last few months :doh: 

• Like 4

Posted

squall line! #busy

Just tried extrapolating the curved movement from the last few frames on Extra and this looks like the direction if it keeps up it's left turn:

post-6667-0-82028600-1389627530_thumb.jp

Edited by Coast

Posted

I can actually see the end of your red arrow over my house, could you please move it, as it is casting a shadow.

Edited by warrenb
  • Like 8