Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Oh i reckon Frosty can find one, go on frosty dig one out mate 

here's my effort

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

but I must admit this chart is stunning if only this was cross model. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Let's keep posts polite and on topic please folks.

Some have been removed for sniping and general unrelated comments.

People will have differing views and these should be respected especially if supported by some data.

Remember the moaning/ramp thread for more general chat.

Thanks all.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

so can we get cross model agreement at +72 with the UKMO and GFS in pretty good agreement at that time frame

GFS

Posted Image

UKMO

Posted Image

At least if the ECM agrees, we can start to look forward for the next frames and interest that might follow

• Like 2

Posted

For all those that see the AH on the GFS 12z and the ECM 6z and especially on the UKMO 12z at 120 hours pushing into the UK and feel despair and see no way out Try to see why this is happening. Say you were to change from looking at the West Europe model maps and look at the Northern Hemisphere model maps on Meteociel. Then say you looked at the Alaskan US border region and observed the WAA pushing warm Pacific air all the way up to the edge of the Arctic Circle. Common sense says the Canadian Vortex goes Eastwards and pushes the Scandi HP east also allowing the Azores High into the British Isles , as there's space to move into. What happens when the warm air /WAA dissipates and goes South again. A person might say the Canadian Vortex would move Westwards again allowing the Scandi back in. Azores to track westwards. After that it's anyone's guess. Questions of can the Azores High push up to Greenland. Will the Arctic High sink or will Scandi High push West. No malice meant in my post. I see the Alaskan WAA as the cornerstone of everything happening in conjunction with the slow and continuous warming of Stratosphere since late December 2013. What the SSW will do I can't say. Send everyone bonkers most likely.

Disclaimer: if above is wrong then my 45 IQ rating is justified lol

• Like 4

Posted

so can we get cross model agreement at +72 with the UKMO and GFS in pretty good agreement at that time frame

GFS

Posted Image

UKMO

Posted Image

At least if the ECM agrees, we can start to look forward for the next frames and interest that might follow

we have agreement from the ECM, right now onto the next

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

GFS 12z looks to be a mild outlier at times tonight on the London ensemble

Posted Image

Plenty of agreement there then i see Posted Image This was my point earlier..... and this says it all, Even the members are struggling with anything past 96h.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express

ok I take a three day net weather ban if feb is cold and thats even if we see two weeks of something cold I bet bottom dollar a net weather ban nothing favours the uk getting cold arctic heights are all but gone and the projected warming in the strat has not even happened and even if it does with lag time it will be march.

It's a strong bet and a double whammy if you're wrong ER 'cos not only would it be cold in Feb (if you're wrong) but nor would you be able to take part in the seismic pleasure of being on here to participate in its unfolding! All us coldies share your frustration and, hey, it's possible we're about to have a snowless winter but it's pretty unlikely and I'd be frankly amazed if this zonal toss continues much into the new month based on everything before us. I'll have you a virtual quid ECM throws us some interest, none of the models have got this covered and even if they did I doubt we'd be able to verify until it was practically on top of us. If this Scandi high does eventually chuck in the towel without getting hitched, or just disappears without a whimper, it'd be out of character with the procession of notable weather we've seen over recent years across all seasons and it does just make you wonder whether it's feasible we could endure such an average winter - unless of course it's mild extremes you're looking to record! In the meantime a strengthening Arctic high UKMO 144hrs - all is not totally lost...

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

ECM 120 showing a rather large nose of HP up from the Azores, the cold uppers restricted to the East of England.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014011912/ECM1-120.GIF?19-0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

ECM at day 5

Posted Image

Well in an unprecedented turn of events, the GFS op has the most robust high to the north east at day 5.

I suddenly feel dirty Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

Posted Image

Well in an unprecedented turn of events, the GFS op has the most robust high to the north east at day 5.

I suddenly feel dirty Posted Image

that's the ECM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

that's the ECM

I know, ah the joys of being late to the party. It was a sweeping overall statement of the GFS/GEM/UKMO/ECM output.

Well the ECM, I going to admit is pretty poor at day 6.

Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

I know, ah the joys of being late to the party. It was a sweeping overall statement of the GFS/GEM/UKMO/ECM output.

Well the ECM, I going to admit is hideous at day 6

Posted Image

Better than the GFS 12hrs run, so we should be thankful for small  mercies, this will develop differently from the GFS because the ECM  hasn't broken down  the Pacific Ridge, the ECM and UKMO are similar over the USA, the GFS given NCEP comments re that ridge won't verify.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

As Friday has been highlighted by Ian F for a possible frontal snow issue, the ECM narrows the regions to the South East. Fine by me but some correction West required for most of the country. The chart below, yes I believe cold enough for the SE, just.

Posted Image

Posted

Nice ridging at 168, not sure if this will end well tho

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

I don't honestly presume, anything +48/72 can be taking with an seriousness at present. Wild swings from run to run, and cross model disagree. Again its a northen hemispherical gradients change in the offing, and with the polar vortex flex of muscle at present its a critical prognosis via the mods. But I will say there's something drastic afoot. Its just equalities regards just what atm.

• Like 1