Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

In the Style of Barry Scott

Bang and the PV's gone!

post-16760-0-53177500-1390129795_thumb.j

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

In the Style of Barry ScottBang and the PV's gone!

Think it may have relocated over the top of us, judging by that chart!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

In the Style of Barry Scott

Bang and the PV's gone!

I feel it's appropriate to have a BOOMPosted Image Posted Image

• Like 8

Posted

Think it may have relocated over the top of us, judging by that chart!

Indeed, but importantly not over West Greenland/canada. Caveat being it's in deepest fl, but it's there so I'll mention it!
  • Like 2

Posted

So then- remember there is usually 1 main trend of the day ( possibly 2)

the AM trend is one of moving the UKMO from the 3 runs-

GFS from very poor 0z to a mediocre middle ground @ 126 ( correction around 200 miles SW)

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014011906/gfsnh-0-132.png?6

NAVGEM - almost 100% swing with a battleground scenario @ 138- just the uppers not quite as cold ( Correction ~ 600 miles west)

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/navgem/runs/2014011906/navgemnh-0-138.png?19-11

JMA 00z only goes to 84 but looks tasty as well.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/jma/runs/2014011900/JN84-21.GIF?19-0

I think we should start concentrating on the 126 timeframe -....

S

A nice swing towards the UKMO from the gfs 06z ensemble mean compared to the 00z..

00z..  06z..

lol,beaten to it.Posted Image 

Edited by Cloud 10
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

A vaguely possible 'blink and you'll miss it' cold blip as the approaching trough moves through against the cold block. This is hinted at by some of the GEFS members

Posted Image

Also the uncertainty for Friday shown in the ECM ENS (Reading)

Posted Image

After that the 06z run is absolutely dire and offers no cold prospects of any significance right to the end.

Edited by Purga

Posted

One of the many things I loved about GP's posts was the impact of events in other parts of the world and how that would affect the uk, the knock on effect, there is a great big black hole now.

Posted

Mini ramp from Alex Deakin that cold wether could reach us by the end if the week. More in the weeks forecast at 1:10pm. Might have to watch that. The fact he mentions it, must mean it Carries some weight.?...

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express

Would love to know why Piers Corbyn at Weather Action is saying his Feb 45 day forecast is the most important event since 2010 but I can't bring myself to spend £25 to find out…without being unfair to Mr Corbyn and revealing his forecast or offering anything too specific, does anyone have any idea what he's on about, i.e. is he predicting a particularly snowy month which is, I suppose, my inference due to the 2010 comparison? Piers_Corbyn tweet

BI FEB 45d IS LOADED "WA's most important fcst since Dec 2010"

Differences emerging between the big three even at 72 hrs which only exacerbates over time although this morning's GFS06z is slightly closer to UKMO than last night's run in the shorter term and as a result is less offensive later on, as others have mentioned, although as ever it goes bonkers in low res.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

And I know I mentioned this the other day as a result of some interesting posts from Kentish CZ amongst others but there really is, to my eye at least, a remarkable similarity between currently modelled solutions from GFS this morning and what it was saying this time exactly five years ago in 2009 when it modelled an over progressive zonal spread from the middle of Jan onwards only for the Azores high to wash over the UK, join the Scandi high and drag in a slider low which delivered a memorable first week of Feb. Well worth checking out the evolution which started here http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?jour=26&mois=1&annee=2009&heure=6&archive=1&mode=0&ech=6&carte=0

See how it models it from this date, Jan 26 2009, then whiz forward to 30 or 31st Jan 2009 on the archive selector and see the difference - incredible.

Sadly can't seem to see the N Hem chart which would be really interesting - can anybody tell me if these archives are available anywhere, there is clearly the development of a Greenland high at some point as the Azores high links to it and puts us in the way of a fearsome north easterly plunge but it's hard to see how this evolves without the NH synoptics to hand?

Edited by supernova
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Mini ramp from Alex Deakin that cold wether could reach us by the end if the week. More in the weeks forecast at 1:10pm. Might have to watch that. The fact he mentions it, must mean it Carries some weight.?...

Tomasz Schafernaker Just said " and colder still as we go into the weekend"Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Wouldn't get too carried away by this....they said something similar to this I think last weekend for the around this period, and what has materialized? not a lot.

• Like 2

Posted

many thanks for that post Lorenzo, it does look as if the pattern you show as relevant to MJO 6 is the current form horse. Certainly shows that on the anomaly charts. If I was a betting man I would say 70:30 in favour of that rather than the one I suppose most folk on here hope for, phase 7 and its relevant 500mb anomaly idea.

I keep saying it but it is true to anyone who enjoys watching the various models as they try to get a concencus into the realistic time frame of what the surface weather is going to be. I disagree with comments that suggest this or that run is crucial or that time frame is crucial. But do understand what leads to those posts. Keep watching folks it has some way to go before the actual weather will be revealed be it 5 days or 15 days.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Wouldn't get too carried away by this....they said something similar to this I think last weekend for the around this period, and what has materialized? not a lot.

Absolutely...... staying with "mini ramp" for nowPosted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

Judging by the latest Ecm I can't see too much to ramp about for it just seems to point to more of the same, rinse and repeat, call it what you will. Cool/cold incursions but certainly nothing sustained Posted Image

post-17830-0-81799400-1390131656_thumb.j

post-17830-0-60594400-1390131665_thumb.j

post-17830-0-52830000-1390131681_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted

Feeling very much like weve skipped a season...surely it wont be like this all Winter will it?

Edited by itsnowjoke
  • Like 1

Posted

Tomasz Schafernaker Just said " and colder still as we go into the weekend"Posted Image

That's interesting in that the London ecm ens show big spread for fri/sat/sun and not that many cold runs. Perhaps they feel 5/6 c with overnight frosts will be subjectively cold this winter!
  • Like 7

Posted

Absolutely...... staying with "mini ramp" for nowPosted Image

Let's not forget the MOGREPS, could it be that....? Maybe Ian will be in and can comment.

As well as the UKMO from 00z and the ENS as mentioned by Steve. So there are signs to say it's certainly a plausible outcome.

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted

Lol I thought there was little or no chance of anything even remotely wintry according to some. The plot thickens.

• Like 6

Posted

The plot thickens.

I will lose the plot soon that's for sure Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted

Lol I thought there was little or no chance of anything even remotely wintry according to some. The plot thickens.

Just because it may turn colder(and lets face it, only the UKMO shows this potential) does not mean there be much wintry weather.

Personally, the models are ramping up the Atlantic and as far as I can see, the potential for a reletively brief of proper mild TM air via an Azores high is looking more likely. Hopefully the models can trend towards the UKMO and the cold block can influence our weather a little bit more than the GFS/ECM indicates but I really am struggling too see much snow potential on this morning's runs.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

it depends on how low you set the bar - LOL!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Possibly some snow mainly in the north for a time later in the week according to the met office today

UK Outlook for Friday 24 Jan 2014 to Sunday 2 Feb 2014:

A cold start at first, especially in central and eastern areas, with a risk of fog, frost and ice. Rain spreading southeast over much of the UK through Friday however, bringing milder conditions for most, but possibly preceded by snow for a time, mainly in the north. Temperatures initially cold, returning to around normal from the northwest.

Its a case now of watching the models and seeing if we get any upgrades for the snow potential further south

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1