Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 10th Jan Onwards

Paul

Posted

The GFS northerly does look impressive and I remember 2003, thunder snow, total white out conditions and horizontal snow....if that makes sense.

28th of January 2004Posted Image

Posted

Well putting aside the GFS lower resolution I'm much more interested in tonights UKMO which is not so straightforward as first might seem, the high is actually strengthening between 120 and 144hrs.

Low pressure over Italy and still disrupting energy over the UK, the Azores high is a bit of a spoiler but that output is the best for a few days after the constant edging east of the pattern.

Hi Nick,

Do you think the Azores high will link up with the Scandi high reinforcing the easterly over the south of the country? Or will that low just pile in - very hard to read if that low will go NE or SE....

Posted

I am expecting nothing for the next couple of weeks as every bit of potential never seems to get past +120h, if that Azores high would budge sw so low pressure has an easier time undercutting it would be game on with that cold pool building to our east.

• Like 1

Posted

Hi Nick,

Do you think the Azores high will link up with the Scandi high reinforcing the easterly over the south of the country? Or will that low just pile in - very hard to read if that low will go NE or SE....

You don't want the link up because the energy will just go over the top,you need the energy to split west of the UK,its a shame the Azores high wasn't a bit more amplified as that could ridge north and then the shortwave clears se and the ridge just reinforces the block.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 4

Posted

I've been meaning to ask for a while... What in the name of Greek touchery is Shannon Entrophy?

well.... entropy is a measure of the uncertainty of a random variable. a theory thought up by a bloke called Claude Shannon, hence 'Shannon Entropy'

it can be applied to a number of instances of random variables (take the lottery numbers as an example of a random variable)

however, it is an ideal term to use in weather forecasting, as the weather becomes more randomly variable, the longer the forecasting period is.

a good way of 'visualising' shannon entropy is by looking at the ensemble graphs.

for example, here's the 2m temperature graph for aberdeen-

Posted Image

as you can see, the scatter (range of temperatures) over the forecast period is quite narrow. this means shannon entropy is lower and we can be more confident that it will be lower due to the fact that the temp range in aberdeen in january, won't vary too much. (it's not as if the ensembles will be showing a range of -30c to +30c in january however mad our weather is!)

then we move on to the air pressure graph-

Posted Image

huge scatter, due to the uncertainty of the forecast, as the random variables in the weather are subject to complicated changes early on in the run, even over a hemispheric scale, not just local to our little island, which obviously leads to a very wide range of scenarios later on. shannon entropy is therefore very high.

I'm very uncertain what it means. Posted Image

to what level of uncertainty are you uncertain? are you sure you are uncertain? or are you not certain if you're sure?....Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I have to laugh the UKMO has garnered hardly any attention this evening with the GFS FI taking over but the UKMO is a big upgrade in terms of cold potential and isn't at T240hrs!

It might be a one hit wonder but for me anyway is a lot more interesting than a northerly at T240hrs which is so reliant on a favourable upstream pattern at the crucial timeframe.

• Like 8

Posted

hi

A request please?

Tamara your posts are well worth reading, well thought out and objective but a favour please?

Rather than copy the whole of your previous post, why not precis it or better still give a link to it so that those who wish can re read your previous post?

many thanks

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Blimey UKMO is close but oh so far away!

Posted Image

Can't see the 850's yet can anyone?

They are out now

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Looking at the GEFS there may be one slight potential issue WRT any possible cold in around 10 days time.....although there appears to be a very strong signal (at that timeframe) for the PV to have a hole knocked out of it, it's pot luck as to whether we get lucky or not. Quite a few perturbations fail to deal with the Canadian vortex and so perpetuate the unsettled, Atlantic driven pattern.

If this PV weakening/displacement etc etc is due to stratospheric reasoning then maybe one of the more learned members RE strat can suggest where they think the vortex may locate to circa day 10. Personally I'd like to see a 4 wave pattern and thus more broken PV (this increases the odds of a UK cold spell) but I suppose beggars can't be choosers!

GEFS mean is not very pretty for cold at +192, or at +300

Posted ImagePosted Image

Some nasty storms popping up on the ensembles, worth keeping an eye on maybe, the ingredients are in place and has been a theme recently.

Posted ImagePosted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

They are out now

Posted ImagePosted Image

Ha! I'd always assumed they only went to T72. Every day's a school day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Well putting aside the GFS lower resolution I'm much more interested in tonights UKMO which is not so straightforward as first might seem, the high is actually strengthening between 120 and 144hrs.

Low pressure over Italy and still disrupting energy over the UK, the Azores high is a bit of a spoiler but that output is the best for a few days after the constant edging east of the pattern.

Yes Nick and so is the strength of the 850's cold

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Ha! I'd always assumed they only went to T72. Every day's a school day.

There is some support for the UKMO in the GEFS, if we could order a couple of hundred miles westwards correction I'd be very happy. But we have been here before during the last few days and things have stalled, I don't know whether its a coincidence but the last few evenings the 12hrs runs seem to have had the pattern further west.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes Nick and so is the strength of the 850's cold

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had to take a double look because I normally view the charts from the NH perspective but clearly on the European view you can see the high extending west, please can we have a westwards correction!

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny and Dry with a Hard Frost.

Let's hope the UKMO comes good. Quite frankly the storms showing up in FI are making me go pale. No more....please! Chimney stacks saturated, more leaks than a Welsh allotment and the garden is a swamp. Cold and dry.....

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

GEFS 12z London ens trending colder;

post-12721-0-89518200-1389982076_thumb.j

The mean (that's the red line) trending downwards throughout, hitting near enough -4c at the end.

Nothing majorily cold yet, and neither would I expect so at this very early stage, but promising signs as we enter the last month of winter proper.

Anyway, all in cuckoo land currently. The difference this time though is we have some stratospheric positivity for the first time this season.

Edited by AWD
  • Like 2

GEFS 12z London ens trending colder;

Posted Imageimage.jpg

The mean (that's the red line) trending downwards throughout, hitting near enough -5c at the end.

Nothing majorily cold yet, and neither would I expect so at this very early stage, but promising signs as we enter the last month of winter proper.

Looking at the ensembles most of the cold air is polar maritime sucked down by sometimes powerful depressions sourced from the PV to the NW rather than from a northerly or easterly source.

Edited by Bobby

Posted

Wel its topsy turvey again tonight with the UKMO throwing out a half decent run- synoptic wise it looks good, but perhaps in the mains- cold rain for most ( all be it a bit colder rain than before) The wider spectre shows the arctic profiles reaching very very strong anomalies at day 8/9, however that link up high needs to filter all the way over to svalbard or greenland ( with link up) to really be of use... Things sizzling away tonight- The UKMO being a big positive from the 00z run- can we see a decent ECM that actually runs then varifies..... it appears at 96 its a good start- http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014011712/ECH1-96.GIF?17-0ECM 96 shows an oval low which sould support the UKMO evolution- possible undercutting Also @ 96 uppers @ -2 to -4, a surface feed from the deep south *COULD* see some snow on the forward flank of the fronts... S

yes steve just taken a look and it looks very interesting!!there was always a chance this would happen and we see things back west slightly!!so maybe a frontal snowfall at 96 hours for some!!

Posted

I have to laugh the UKMO has garnered hardly any attention this evening with the GFS FI taking over but the UKMO is a big upgrade in terms of cold potential and isn't at T240hrs! It might be a one hit wonder but for me anyway is a lot more interesting than a northerly at T240hrs which is so reliant on a favourable upstream pattern at the crucial timeframe.

Agreed if the UKMO t144 northern hemisphere chart verified I would grab the runwith both hands.Heights are building to the northeast with Arctic high comingsouth and very cold uppers heading west.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

High pressure moving closer at t144

Posted Image

Coldest air remains in eastern europe

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun