Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 10th Jan Onwards

Paul

Posted

With the UKMO/ECM having a change of heart and showing signs of an Easterly, I just wonder if the ECM will come out all guns blazingPosted Image

UKMO... Lovely Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Just checking in after a very busy day. Not expecting this behaviour from the model with the biggest mild house-effect. Snowing in London within a week on that chart. 

More runs needed Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Wintry day 10 chart, which also features a split vortex

Posted Image

Posted Image

The saga rumbles on and on!

it does indeed show something afoot,

but very volatile model outputs recently im still not convince what I have noticed that the 12z seem to favour better for the cold crew than the 0z.

and ive noticed steve murr still not around which is ashame because his input is very valid on here, but I expect hes just had enough and has given up as the volatile outputs just keep coming its such a messy pattern right now and im not convinced the models have a hold on this pattern.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

@360 hrs...

last 2 frames could be spectacular lol! Posted Image

Posted Image

And still in Jan.!!as you forecast;-) Edited by Fozfoster

Posted

@360 hrs...

last 2 frames could be spectacular lol! Posted Image

Posted Image

Overall it is good to see the Cold block holding on to our East even at +384 , the models said it should have been gone ages ago . I think we will eventually tap into this now , and it may be even colder by then . Also it wouldn't take much change for the Gem to join in IMO , it is only a few of hundred miles off 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Just checking in after a very busy day. Not expecting this behaviour from the model with the biggest mild house-effect. Snowing in London within a week on that chart. 

More runs needed Posted Image

Snowing in London within a week, Your having a laugh! The way things are going it could be less Posted Image Lets see what the ECM shows us later.

• Like 1

Posted

it does indeed show something afoot,

but very volatile model outputs recently im still not convince what I have noticed that the 12z seem to favour better for the cold crew than the 0z.

and ive noticed steve murr still not around which is ashame because his input is very valid on here, but I expect hes just had enough and has given up as the volatile outputs just keep coming its such a messy pattern right now and im not convinced the models have a hold on this pattern.

When you think the GFS 12z is normally more progressive then this is a really good run for the 12z in the early stages, still shows anything can happen ....  ... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Overall it is good to see the Cold block holding on to our East even at +384 , the models said it should have been gone ages ago . I think we will eventually tap into this now , and it may be even colder by then . Also it wouldn't take much change for the Gem to join in IMO , it is only a few of hundred miles off 

Well if last night's 18z was close to the tipping point, the 12z today is hanging on by its teeth.

• Like 1

Posted

Anyone order some warming?

Posted Image

Loving that. Lets hope that nukes the PV once and for all and we have a decent shot at a cold February.

Saying that though the 12z's from GFS and UKMO are not too shabby in the semi-reliable. Could we pull a rabbit?.....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Any news from Fergie? I wonder what Exeter makes of the output from their own model?Posted Image

Well his last post on Twitter said that the Met were giving the easterly a 10% chance of occuring. I wonder if that has changed? (The FAX later may give us a hint)

If its been mentioned before can someone tell me when the MOGREPS comes out/runs? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

After 12z runs to date. One may start to perceive whan this evening s ECM evolves to.im still sticking firm on after recent underperformed, it will and is fast getting its house in order and will, lead the way and latter trending.

Posted

GFS ensembles are trending more toward the OP in the early stages.

We are not at an ideal scenario yet but real progress this evening toward it :)

Posted

The prospects for next week are very much up in the open air - there is a lot of room for error in the models, given everything hinges on the position and behaviour of the longwave trough, will it disrupt?, will it anchor itself in place awaiting energy off the Greenland vortex to reinforce it in situ or move it further east killing off the continental high advances?, will it simply fizzle as heights build to the west of it thanks to an amplified flow developing off the eastern USA seaboard?

There are many options on the table, and no wonder why the models are flip flopping from scenario to another. Longer term I said yesterday the key to a colder theme developing is the emergence of an amplified flow over USA/Canada eastern seaboard combined with a weakened polar vortex.. if this happens and we maintain a strong block to the east possibly linked to the Siberian high then the chances of a much colder continental feed establishing itself in time for February will be high - such a development isn't even reliant on a split polar vortex or SSW event.

• Like 5

Posted

Anyone order some warming?

Posted Image

This is the third day in a  row someone has posted a GFS strat chart @..................384 HOURS...............Looks nice but................

This is the third day in a  row someone has posted a GFS strat chart @..................384 HOURS...............Looks nice but................

And im no expert but surely we would want the 'warming' over Greenland,that still looks ridiculously cold to me?

Finely balanced tis evening,definite shift west in the pattern with ukmo at t144 very close to being fantastic-hopefully the damn azores high wont scupper the developments!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Alas the Atlantic just too strong still. It's on the ropes but keeps punching back. The block is there but too far east to pull the cold air consistently over us. Whether ECM will flip again in deep fi is another question but yesterday was a good example why they don't do model scores so far out. They're just unreliable.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Yes it's too far out and subject to change, meanwhile the  GFS wants to bring brief cold snaps as depressions clear and swing in a northerly, could be some snow showers in the usual favoured spots, but not LONDON.Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Just had a sneaky peak at the upcoming ECM 168 hrs chart

Posted Image

It just gets better http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=192&code=12&mode=0&carte=0

If the ECM finished on 240h like that....BANKPosted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Just had a sneaky peak at the upcoming ECM 168 hrs chart

Posted Image

Am I being dumb here or am I being a killjoy for a joke? :p (or both!?)

The chart you linked says its from the GEFS ensembles?

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Am I being dumb here or am I being a killjoy for a joke? :PThe chart you linked says its from the GEFS ensembles?

Whooooooooooooosh :)
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Whooooooooooooosh :)

I assumed as much. Its been a long day at work haha!
  • Like 3