Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 10th Jan Onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The mean is fine from the ECM, even at day 10 you still see a Scandi high, and Atlantic ridge and clear signs of energy going south east into Southern Europe.

You can't expect much at days 8-10 from a mean apart from a broad trend, especially as the uncertainties earlier on can be the difference between a blocking high and zonal westerlies.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I think they back up well, very well, unless I am missing something obvious?

They are all mean charts, the OP had -10 uppers at +192...Still, the mean is not bad at all really. Anyway, +192 etc is miles away. Let's get the +96 building blocks to verify first. Thanks, to Nick for posting the NCEP comments and this would add some credence to the ECM's version of the upstream pattern in the shorter term. Also, as has been mentioned before, if those positively tilted runs with positive uppers are removed (big if obviously) the mean will lower.The problem I have is really margin for error in regard to uppers. We need the good synoptic charts to verify obviously but we also lack a real cold pool. I totally accept the notion that as t-0 cones closer the 850s should become better and we can get our own cold pool as it's mid-January. However, as was mentioned last winter, in general we have a 2/3rds move from GFS and 1/3rd ECM. If on the stellar runs we got -12 uppers for example then we could afford the 1/3rd climb down to say -8 or -9ish but it's far more marginal in the current set up. Anyway, this is all hypothetical. Let's get the building blocks to verify and then we are well and truly 'in the game' :)
  • Like 4

Posted

If one looks at the ECM De Bilt ensembles the thing to look at is the wind directions, theres very good support for the winds switching round to the se/east around the 18/19th January, the issue I think is whether that flow brings in less cold air from the Med which has been forced nw as the troughing elongates to the west of the UK.

http://www.weerplaza.nl/15daagseverwachting/?r=midden&type=eps_pluim

A simple look at the temps will cover up the actual synoptics on the ground, the operational run is towards the colder end but isn't an outright outlier. So as we were before how much cold will be there to draw on if and when an eventual easterly surfaces.

We should factor in that the deep cold is held towards northern Denmark at T96hrs, the way the trough disrupts and whether theres any sw corrections will make a difference.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

18z unlikely to join the ECM yet, but improvements are there.

Edited by SN0WM4N

Posted

Everything seems further west and the block a bit more robust/west based on this run. A very small step in the right direction perhaps?

• Like 2

Posted

The trigger to a colder pattern developing is most likely to come from developments far to our NW rather than NE - there are signals for an amplified flow to develop over eastern USA/Canada regions and this is what is needed to hold sway the influence of the Greenland vortex which will remain the key driver of our weather for the foreseeable future.

Amplification will enable heights to build over mid-west atlantic and lock Greenland PV energy away to our NW which in turn will allow the UK to come under the influence of continental conditions as opposed to atlantic ones- easterlies often develop when we have such a pattern taking hold to our NW - the two go hand in hand - so all eyes on developments over Canada/USA seaboard. Such developments become much more likely as we head through the second half of winter accompanied by the weaker PV - its why February is often a much drier month than Nov-Jan.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Anyone for an undercut? :D

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Going under at 132. Could be a good one coming up here!?

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Doesn't really matter what happens here now on GFS after 132, the position is excellent compared to where we were 2/3 days ago. Discount the actual evolvement, it's the general pattern to look at, and it's excellent.

Amazing what taking a few days away from models does for the spirits.

Remember, easterlies are notoriously difficult to model, I for one won't get too excited unless it's still there after 96/72 range… And sometimes, they just do this, show up at short notice, and blow us all away! Which will this be? Time will tell, but remember, the weather will do what mother nature wants it to, so don't go ranting at anyone or any model if your weather preference doesn't appear!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

close but the low skuppers things heading north at 156hrs?better run tho and imo moving in the right directionPosted Image

• Like 2

Posted

18z quite an improvement on yesterday's run.

yesterday..  today..

Hopefully this momentum can continue tomorrow.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Frost, Thunder and Storms

18z looked good up to t144 but by t168 its all over - which is the time frame when ECM gets interesting

A move in the right direction by GFS - however it may be right in that this could be another 'close but no cigar' situation rather than what the ECM offers

A very interesting week of model watching and more twists and turns to come over the next few days I am sure

Roll on the 0z

night night

EWS 

• Like 1

Posted

fax chart at 120 tonight

Posted Image

ecm at 120

Posted Image

barring a very subtle difference in the lows

these look pretty close at present to me

• Like 9

Posted

The trigger to a colder pattern developing is most likely to come from developments far to our NW rather than NE - there are signals for an amplified flow to develop over eastern USA/Canada regions and this is what is needed to hold sway the influence of the Greenland vortex which will remain the key driver of our weather for the foreseeable future.

Amplification will enable heights to build over mid-west atlantic and lock Greenland PV energy away to our NW which in turn will allow the UK to come under the influence of continental conditions as opposed to atlantic ones- easterlies often develop when we have such a pattern taking hold to our NW - the two go hand in hand - so all eyes on developments over Canada/USA seaboard. Such developments become much more likely as we head through the second half of winter accompanied by the weaker PV - its why February is often a much drier month than Nov-Jan.

Developments to our NW are absolutely key.  Ironically the largest deviation in the ensembles spread is immediately around Greenland and into US/Canada territory.  A large-scale amplified long-wave trough dominates conditions across Canada, this likely fuelling the vortex and sending energy toppling over the sub-tropical ridge which is fairly flat at the moment.  Better confidence in heights building across Scandi beyond T+168.  Long-wave trough extends from UK into much of South Western Europe/Iberia and W Europe, but the problem we have at the moment is the energy propelling East from Newfoundland across the North Atlantic/South of Iceland and into the United Kingdom, low pressure systems will continue to topple the high, spin into the United Kingdom, won't be able to go anywhere but either oscillate and fill across the United Kingdom or make slight indentations into Iberia and the W Med.  Short-waves that form within this long-wave trough across W Europe will likely draw in warmer air and may spin back in from the East to affect the United Kingdom, the cold locked away across Scandi.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I really don't know why I watch the low res GFS, it just blows that block away with a big 960mb LP.Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain
Thanks thats very nice of you, its difficult sometimes because I try to keep objective but at heart I'm just a kid who loves snow!

All the happiest people are still kids at heart, so long may it continue!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Guys, you aren't going to believe this but the GFS low rez goes Zonal!

Posted Image

Anyway, it's page 51 and I'm out until tomorrow evening so here's my forecast using the page number proxy:

60-70: "Back to square 1"

70-90: "Potential"

90+: "Wow, boom, etc"

• Like 8