Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 10th Jan Onwards

Paul

Posted

Things look to be further west@144! is this better?

Id say in the 6z there is a growing signal for wintry showers next week even without the continental influence . At +180 it is a lot further West compared to 00z , just hope we start to see some Atlantic ridging in the Mid Atlantic between the gap . This is where I think upgrades will come from ... 

Edited by snowmadchrisuk
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Colder air hanging on over Scandinavia....but PV not dropping into Russia like before

Posted

Colder air hanging on over Scandinavia....but PV not dropping into Russia like before

Looks like a model in the process of working out a new pattern change to me , Expect more changes this evening IMO. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

6z gfs follows ECM (to an extent).albeit with variables, still think a colder incur will be modeled nearer time frame. Its a flip back of sort. And imo not where it will likely end.(upgrades? !).

• Like 1

Posted

Further slight weakening of the jet between 120 and 144 to the north is a little progress on the 6z. Let's hope that trend continues. Frustrating overall though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Well what kind of a week we are going to have this week regarding the models, folks. The ECM, JMA this morning are still holding on to thoughts of an Easterly and the rest are not having any of it.

My thoughts on this is that, It's messy and the models are really having problems dealing with the blocking/HP to the East and i still think there maybe a few surprises in store, Its either an Easterly or a Westerly, Which one i favor, Your guess is as good as mine Posted Image .

My final thoughts on this is, If the ECM forgets the idea later, Well we'll be back to square one! But you never know the GFS/UKMO may do a you turn later when the 12z comes out,

Certainly interesting, But it's all in the hands of Mother nature her self and we all know how quickly she can change Posted Image

Just looking at 06z GFS, Its showing hints towards the ECM already, The GFS is further west.... But i've always found the GFS to be too progressive, especially when there's blocking involved.

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

well, it doesn't quite manage the easterly but much closer to the ECM

Posted Image

Just looking at that Northern Hemisphere chart Bobby makes me think that any block that sets up at the moment will be like a wall made out balsa wood trying to hold back a cannon ball. Really want cold, tired of this mild muddy rubbish, brings down your moral, but need bigger hits on the PV

Edited by Nicholas B
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Well what kind of a week we are going to have this week regarding the models, folks. The ECM, JMA this morning are still holding on to thoughts of an Easterly and the rest are not having any of it.

My thoughts on this is that, It's messy and the models are really having problems dealing with the blocking/HP to the East and i still think there maybe a few surprises in store, Its either an Easter or a Westerly, Which one i favor, Your guess is as good as mine Posted Image .

My final thoughts on this is, If the ECM forgets the idea later, Well we'll be back to square one! But you never know the GFS/UKMO may do a you turn later when the 12z comes out,

Certainly interesting, But it's all in the hands of Mother nature her self and we all know how quickly she can change Posted Image

Just looking at 06z GFS, Its showing hints towards the ECM already, The GFS is further west.... But i've always found the GFS to be too progressive, especially when there's blocking involved.

JMA is stuck at T84 on Meteociel and Wetterzentrale this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Heights just keep low over the usual place - Greenland.

Posted Image

Overall 06z continues the dismal picture. Best to be hoped for is 'average' temps and mostly unsettled.

Posted

JMA is stuck at T84 on Meteociel and Wetterzentrale this morning.

it only goes to T84 on the 6z, it will go to T192 on the 12z later .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frosty & Sunny

Latest GFS 8 day temperature anomaly, lots of cold building for eastern and north eastern Europe now, for the UK its a mixed bag slightly below normal for the north and Ireland, but slightly above normal for the south, some western coasts and Wales

Posted Image

Gav, just to point out thats not above normal for the south - it's 0.2 - 2C mate, while the rest of the UK remains below.

"slightly below normal for the north and Ireland, but slightly above normal for the south" so the emphasis is average temps for now then.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

This is how I see things potentially developing... any thoughts?

HP black, LP red and I suppose Purple would be the Jet? Jet would either sink south or become less intense.

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

HP black, LP red and I suppose Purple would be the Jet? Jet would either sink south or become less intense.

Posted Image

A better effort than some of the Models we have been seeing i think Matey, cant see how that section of the PV would head North However? Generally once any energy gets south of the Tip of Greenland its one stop trip to Blighty, may split or see the formation of another low on its southern flank, but still be coming our way or Iceland, neither good news. Unfortunately currently the energy is just too strong to our our west for the block too our east, would be a great battle ground if already over us. Hey i hope you are right though, would be great! 

Helsinki ensembles showing a united warm up, window closing quickly on this one. Im with Tamara, not too dispondant, it didnt happen as we wanted, but as quickly as one possibility does our head in and dissappears another can open

post-4955-0-90561100-1389617044_thumb.pn

Edited by Nicholas B
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Posted Image

Yeah! Do you have any Animation with that, lol! Joking apart, Theres alot going on there and i'm sure alot of people on here would love that scenario!

I would love to know your thoughts on how you came to this, Because it's certainly an interesting outcome Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Just caught up with the GFS 06hrs run, that's now trended to the ECM and it looks like a good call by the NAM when it jumped off the faster evolution on its 06hrs run.

This really has been a strange week in the models, after the easterly imploded the models really wanted to push the high much further to the east and it was like Flash Gordon had finally met a grisly end, I think today he's landed on the ledge which just happened to be there over the cliff, you'll only get that if like me you were a big fan as a child especially at Xmas time when they often showed the repeats!

I think an analogy here would be the boat has hit the rocks , it was taking on water but we've managed to plug the leak for the timebeing!

The ECM De Bilt ensembles almost mirror the emotions in here in terms of their cold for Holland, basically up, down and all over the place!

The last few runs here, I had been saving them every day but when the easterly debacle really started gathering pace it was just too traumatic!

ECM 12hrs

post-1206-0-95358600-1389619020_thumb.pn

ECM 00hrs

post-1206-0-41222300-1389619038_thumb.pn

De Bilt is often a good bellwether in this type of set up, although of course you can get cold there and the UK can still miss out but at least this shows us how far west the deeper cold has gotten in those ensembles.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 5

Posted

as far as the initial period of troughing is concerned nick, the ecm op has it holding west of the ens which want to trend over holland/w germany. clearly, we will be colder under the trough initially as the warmer uppers are thrown ahead of it. the ecm solution currently seems quite reasonable though at the moment. the ens want to take that trough to our east leaving us under a mean lee norwester until the stronger jet comes blasting across (which has been progged for days now but isnt really getting that much closer). there seems little point in dissecting the next 2 weeks because the initial trough disruption remains unclear, both in its evolution and location and the upstream is also uncertain re its timing and amplification. thinking back to saturday night and the points i mentioned remain valid :

quote:

the blocking is nearly always stronger than modelled. the jet seems keen to head se rather than ne. the upstream pattern of repeating deep troughs should continue to supply a more meridional pattern than gfs will show, especially in low res. i suspect we will see more of that colder air seeping west over the next 10/14 days than the nwp currently shows. whether it gets this far is questionable.

nearly 48 hours later - have we moved on at all ??

• Like 8

Posted

as far as the initial period of troughing is concerned nick, the ecm op has it holding west of the ens which want to trend over holland/w germany. clearly, we will be colder under the trough initially as the warmer uppers are thrown ahead of it. the ecm solution currently seems quite reasonable though at the moment. the ens want to take that trough to our east leaving us under a mean lee norwester until the stronger jet comes blasting across (which has been progged for days now but isnt really getting that much closer). there seems little point in dissecting the next 2 weeks because the initial trough disruption remains unclear, both in its evolution and location and the upstream is also uncertain re its timing and amplification. thinking back to saturday night and the points i mentioned remain valid :quote:the blocking is nearly always stronger than modelled. the jet seems keen to head se rather than ne. the upstream pattern of repeating deep troughs should continue to supply a more meridional pattern than gfs will show, especially in low res. i suspect we will see more of that colder air seeping west over the next 10/14 days than the nwp currently shows. whether it gets this far is questionable.nearly 48 hours later - have we moved on at all ??

BA do you remember when we had that day when there was a sudden change in the outputs in terms of the high and negative AO going quickly positive and the models really wanted to finish off any lingering hopes of something colder. Any ideas as to what happened, rogue output, poor data inclusion in the Arctic oceans, the models over reacting to an upstream signal?

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

00z ECMWF London op close to the EPS average for day time temps but slightlly above average for night time temps for the timeframe of the potential disruption shown by the 00z op, so not too shabby support for a colder evolution. Though it's difficult to work out where the flows from to bring the lower temps, could be a NW'erly equally as an easterly to bring the colder air.

post-1052-0-34424200-1389621399_thumb.gi

It's a shame that the bods at ECMWF pulled the plug on the postage stamps out to t+168, as this is the timeframe that we start to see the disruption occur.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

From what I can see and herd from Tamara I think it's safe to say there really is nothing favourable from a colder outlook cooler yes colder no.

Its to complicated and favourable reconnection are not on our side.

The models have no clue and the best we can hope for is perhaps a lull and mid lat block and or a return to a vortex dominated outlook.

January a certain right of.

Although mild does not feature cool ish.

• Like 1

Posted

00z ECMWF London op close to the EPS average for day time temps but slightlly above average for night time temps for the timeframe of the potential disruption shown by the 00z op, so not too shabby support for a colder evolution. Though it's difficult to work out where the flows from to bring the lower temps, could be a NW'erly equally as an easterly to bring the colder air.:

Posted Imageensemble-tt6-london.gif

It's a shame that the bods at ECMWF pulled the plug on the postage stamps out to t+168, as this is the timeframe that we start to see the disruption occur.

Yes they're being such a tease by just giving them upto 120hrs. In terms of those postage stamps  its clear that those graphical ones I posted would look a lot better if the majority of the ensembles were on board with the operational run,the positive tilt ones that generally have the pattern too far east already to be saved in terms of the colder evolution.

Do we trust the ECM operational at T120hrs given recent events? if the solution is no worse than that at T120hrs or one of those ensembles with the better negative tilt and further west then those ensembles could change markedly in a short space of time.

http://www.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/teasers/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!120!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2014011300!!/

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 4