Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 10th Jan Onwards

Paul

Posted

What is the actual point of posting replies like this.

Its unlikely to happen exactly like that, but this is why you remove the surface features & look at the heights.

I think people are treating this development like a bulk standard Northerly toppler.

Look at this chart- its near identical to the ECM chart with the arctic high

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/reana/1984/archivesnh-1984-12-29-0-0.png

& 2 days later

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/reana/1984/archivesnh-1984-12-31-0-0.png

& 2 more days

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/reana/1985/archivesnh-1985-1-2-0-0.png

+ 2

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/reana/1985/archivesnh-1985-1-4-12-0.png

As long as the Arctic high gets SOME link up with the atlantic it WILL get cold.

S

Thanks for posting these charts from tail end of December 1984 - an almost uncanny similiarity to some of this evenings outputs for later next week notably ECM and shows a perfect example of how a strong arctic high can turn a mild atlantic fest into a continental cold feast should it link with heights building over mid atlantic.

ECM continues to suggest the arctic high will become an influential player thanks to an amplified flow developing over NE Canadian and E USA seaboard allowing mid atlantic heights to build quickly and link up with the arctic heights.

Still such evolutions remains well beyond the reliable timeframe - and everything hinges on the flow coming out of NE USA/E Canada and how this interacts with projected heights rises over the pole. The AO forecast certainly suggests a strong build of heights over the Pole and if this verifies then there will be significant force placed on the PV shifting its core further west - which is key if we are to develop the amplified flow. So all eyes on developments over the Pole.... the azores high is an important factor as well, but the key player is the interaction of the PV and any height rises over the Pole.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ECM ensemble has -4 850's covering all the UK at t192 some -5s around as well, certainly cold enough for snow just about anywhere

Posted Image

Posted Image

850's start to ease back slightly at t240 but still low enough for some snow the further north you go possibly to lower levels at times too

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

ECM ensemble has -4 850's covering all the UK at t192 some -5s around as well, certainly cold enough for snow just about anywhere

Posted Image

Posted Image

850's start to ease back slightly at t240 but still low enough for some snow the further north you go possibly to lower levels at times too

Posted Image

Posted Image

right , you will not be asked again...where is summer sun and where did you steal his password from :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The majority of the ens aren't backing the op at day 10...that's clear I think from the ensemble mean chart. I'm sure Bluearmy will fill us in shortly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I know people are going to be holding back in shouting the cold is coming etc, after all the ECM has lead us up the garden path more than once this winter, and we have endured a pretty dismal winter thus far, as far as cold goes Posted Image Posted Image . I am one of those who want to remain open minded. BUT this is by far our best opportunity this winter, we have the right ingredients for cold, The Vortex is weakening and a split is expected, Europe is finally cooling down, Heights are rising over the Pole, possible ridging in the Atlantic and even linking with the polar Heights, even signs of the Strat warming. Now I know none of this guarantees our little island Cold, but we have a damn good shot at getting it now, I'm fully expecting some real eye candy runs in the near future, we need to take them a run at a time, I'm optimistic our patience will be rewarded and soon! Posted Image

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

I've been waiting for a long time..far too long to post charts as magnificent as these from the Ecm 12z op run tonight, especially the T+216 & 240 charts with the 522 dam thicknesses. I pray the ecm is on the ball tonight because this is the stonking pattern change all us long suffering snow and cold starved peeps have been dreaming of, these charts are a thing of beauty.Posted Image

come on...verify dammit, I want to see a snow flake, I will definately ramp this up if it gets closerPosted Image

Very nice to see you back on the ball Frosty...keep em comming , you are an asset to this forum

• Like 5

Posted

the ecm mean doesnt see sufficient amplification in the atlantic at day 9 which means the mean ridge at day 10 is quite shallow and we see the warm front approaching clearly on the uppers at day 10. the spread has a much sharper ridge at day 9 and the spread on uppers at day 10 is supportive of the op around sw greenland.  the ens are probably coming slowly to the op theme but not following like lemmings quite yet.  take the hint - exeter will not either.

some mileage to go yet. gfs ops in the medium term are all wrong by pushing the jet through into the us west coast and withdrawing the alaskan ridge. despite this, they still manage a decent mid atlantic ridge but the arctic high will likely not be modelled well due to the alaskan ridge being withdrawn too quickly. ecm could be too bullish on the arctic high aswell.  we need to look closely at the london ens later around the 27th onwards to see how many of the less cold runs are dropping out.  this is a solution that has decent x model support rather than just ecm on its own.  

• Like 5

Posted

Cold & Snowy for Midlands Northwards on this run. Pennine Areas, Northern/North Western England Especially in that convective flow. The trend is there...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lots of scatter towards the end, but firming up on agreement, the cold is on it's way.

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

A word on the meto 4 week update which as ever remains conservative and non-committal, however, if you read between the lines it speaks volumes i.e. heights to the NE are going to develop which in itself is a pattern change - forcing troughs/low pressure on a more NW-SE path opening us up to colder shots from a northerly quarter.

• Like 5

Posted

I've been waiting for a long time..far too long to post charts as magnificent as these from the Ecm 12z op run tonight, especially the T+216 & 240 charts with the 522 dam thicknesses. I pray the ecm is on the ball tonight because this is the stonking pattern change all us long suffering snow and cold starved peeps have been dreaming of, these charts are a thing of beauty.Posted Image

come on...verify dammit, I want to see a snow flake, I will definately ramp this up if it gets closerPosted Image

Lol Frosty, please give me  plenty more of your enthusiasm  as these last few weeks have taken their toll on mine and my energy reserves of cold ramping are in need of some much needed replenishing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The extended ECM Dutch Ens highlight the recent modus operandi of the op and control to overdo the cold compared to its members:

post-14819-0-35560000-1390078576_thumb.p

However with a pattern change on the horizon then I am more interested in the higher res members (op & control) so the above is more useful for trends. At the moment there is no clear signal that the ens are jumping towards the colder cluster, however it is still ten days out so in the next few days members need to start to head in that direction.

I am just happy that a change is coming by the end of the month. A bit of luck now needed.

• Like 3

Posted

The extended ECM Dutch Ens highlight the recent modus operandi of the op and control to overdo the cold compared to its members:

Posted Imageeps_pluim_tt_06235.png

However with a pattern change on the horizon then I am more interested in the higher res members (op & control) so the above is more useful for trends. At the moment there is no clear signal that the ens are jumping towards the colder cluster, however it is still ten days out so in the next few days members need to start to head in that direction.

I am just happy that a change is coming by the end of the month. A bit of luck now needed.

If truth be told, theses ensembles are rather disappointing - it's quite possible that the ensembles aren't as reliable when a pattern change is imminent.

If and when the NH pattern change occurs, I'm worried about the position and strength of the Polar Vortex - the ECM ensemble mean at 240 illustrates this perfectly.

Lots of water to flow under the bridge but just want to warn members that a NH pattern change may not significantly change the weather for our small part of the world.

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 2

Posted

If truth be told, theses ensembles are rather disappointing - it's quite possible that the ensembles aren't as reliable when a pattern change is imminent.If and when the NH pattern change occurs, I'm worried about the position and strength of the Polar Vortex - the ECM ensemble mean at 240 illustrates this perfectly.Lots of water to flow under the bridge but just want to warn members that a NH pattern change may not significantly change the weather for our small part of the world.

they werent last january but i put that down to the fact that, at the time, they couldnt see the top  of the strat and therefore the strong warmings coming down. perhaps they just arent any good post day 10 at seeing what coming. (or perhaps they are very good and we'll still be looking two weeks away this time next week!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Frost, Thunder and Storms

We need to be cautious with regard to the artic high - when it lands in our favour ala 1985 (as Steve M posted) and 1987 we hit the bulls eye

There are other times when it has failed to land:

For example 2001 (The Kettley v Met Office Saga pre Net Weather days)

and 2007 which lead to a lot of tears on these forums as for several runs the models expected another 1987 (only for Nicks dreaded shortwaves to scupper us)

Hopefully we can hit the bulls eye in 2014 - I think we deserve it after this stormy / washout of a winter so far

Going to be very interesting watching all this pan out over the next number of days

EWS

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Earth Wind and Snow
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

We need to be cautious with regard to the artic high - when it lands in our favour ala 1985 (as Steve M posted) and 1987 we hit the bulls eye

There are other times when it has failed to land:

For example 2001 (The Kettley v Met Office Saga pre Net Weather days)

and 2007 which lead to a lot of tears on these forums as for several runs the models expected another 1987 (only for Nicks dreaded shortwaves to scupper us)

Hopefully we can hit the bulls eye in 2013 - I think we deserve it after this stormy / washout of a winter so far

Going to be very interesting watching all this pan out over the next number of days

EWS

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

was good 2013, Arctic high may have failed but '07 was very snowy for me 8th and 9th

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Frost, Thunder and Storms

was good 2013, Arctic high may have failed but '07 was very snowy for me 8th and 9th

Sorry 2014 - still trying to get my head around the change of year - amended now

Yes some places managed some snow in 2007 but the earlier predicted freeze by the models leading up to that event failed to materialize

I think Scotland also managed some snow from he 2001 event but again the widespread severe spell failed to land

EWS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Yes, it's been correctly stated that the ECM does not support the Op run and looks pretty poor in the longer term

Posted Image

Posted Image

A lot of hurdles to overcome before any chance of proper cold is likely.

• Like 2

Posted

The ext ecm ens, post day 10, continue with the theme of troughing to our NW with a negative anomaly in Europe. With this synoptic pattern, temps should be below average, but no meaningful cold is highlighted on the temp anomaly charts this evening.

Posted Image

day 10-15 heights ecm mean

The control run also offers little support.

Posted Image

day 10-15 heights ecm control

• Like 2

Posted

A lot of chat on here about a 'pattern change'? Why, who has predicted it and how reliable is this?

What we have is the POTENTIAL no more for a pattern change.

Be a shame to hype it up out of all proportion for it to go ---s up and loads of toys out of prams from the usual suspects.

yes the MJO prediction of phase 6 or 7 for both January and February does hold out the promise of promising 500mb anomalies, but it ain't happened yet.

The 500mb anomaly charts, see link below, for 6-10 and 8-14 NOAA outputs, again holds out POTENTIAL nothing more at the moment. They have shown this for almost a week now, clue 6-7 days ago, and they still show similar charts 6-7 days down the line. So care and sensible ideas are best for the moment. If deep cold and snow rattle down on the synoptic outputs to 72h then okay ramp it up but now???

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

Well said John, it's always a pleasure to read your balanced, analytical and non-hysterical posts.

• Like 6