Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 10th Jan Onwards

Paul

GFS @ 120 sending deeper cold just to the east over Debilt etc....

The 156-174 timeframe continues to catch my attention-  the Atlantic low diving south could be corrected West ( still at the same angle) so it straddles cold air over the UK.

Keep an eye on it.

S

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

The 156-174 timeframe continues to catch my attention-  the Atlantic low diving south could be corrected West ( still at the same angle) so it straddles cold air over the UK.

Keep an eye on it.

Will do, lots of interesting model watching coming up over the next week.

post-7914-0-85232000-1390040280_thumb.jp

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Keep an eye on it.

S

I will keep 2 eyes on itPosted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

gfs6z is worryingly wet Posted Image

It is, but it's from this point where the interest starts "25th".

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

Keep an eye on it.

S

Steve GFS@120 shows 850s@ -2

surface temp just above freezing

dewpoint just above freezing, just cold rain I guess, any chance of a little wet snow in the heavier bursts?Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Yep, still a small window for a weak NE flow late Thurs/early Fri on 06z GFS, as that shallow low drops SE into the near continent. Would bring a cold day across the east, but not cold enough for snow, more grey and drizzly. 00z ECM has the low moving SE and weak NE flow too around then.

00z UKMO holds a col / slack pressure over the UK end of the week perhaps into w/e, but GFS and EC bring in next Atlantic trough SE with a return to Atlantic W or NW flow - but for how long? Because there are signs on both of an amplified flow building Atlantic ridge north, and as Ed said earlier - add an arctic high trying to push south and the Scandi high trying to retrograde - things *may* turn interesting last few days of the month. Really need to see the flow upstream play ball though ...

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 6

Posted

Is that a Ramp SS......... :-),

Anyone who feared winter wasn't coming, well don't worry, I presume the "polar" opposite of the latest Express headlines will now soon be upon us, no pun intended.....

I'm more interested in the free Wonka bar.Posted Image

Some cold zoniality showing up again on the medium range GFS,with some eye candy to 

come in the latter stages of the run.

• Like 2

Posted

Much better Heights over Green/Iceland on the 6z. Pushing much colder air South over Europe into Russia.. Before it all goes a little awol as expected. It's really not worth looking at detail past D7/8 during these complicated times, Models really are struggling to latch on to the eventual outcome, as TEITS said early'er.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I'm more interested in the free Wonka bar.Posted Image

Some cold zoniality showing up again on the medium range GFS,with some eye candy to

come in the latter stages of the run.

Posted Imagegfsnh-0-228.png

Taken the words out of my mouth, last few frames will be nice viewing I think on the 06z

Shows what I know lol horrid end to the run

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted

The Gfs 06z op run shows occasional cold incursions with snow at times, especially further north, next saturday is a good example with widespread sub -5 T850 hPa covering the uk, further on there are more cold shots with a risk of snow as the jet digs further south. It looks like a colder version of the december pattern with lots more heavy rain and gales, not as stormy and with rather colder spells bringing bursts of wintry conditions.

post-4783-0-62984200-1390041912_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-53518700-1390041922_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-94362400-1390041927_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Plenty of cold in Europe via the ECM@192. What a difference a few weeks makes. Pretty much split PV with zonality thrown in the bin. You could say a "kidney punch" if we do not a cold feed at the end of the month.

Posted Image

Posted

As we did in Dec 2010.....Posted Image I have high hopes of a pattern change soon with winter finally showing it's teeth.

You have high hopes for everything Frosty lol.

But hope the pattern is changing as we are stuck in a bit of a rut.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

The stand off with the Scandi block continues but we are too far west to benefit so unsettled and cool

Posted Image

Most of the 06z showing cool zonality in the higher resolution range

Posted Image

and a brief colder phase in FI

Posted Image

before things dry out and warm up at the end

Posted Image

Let's hope the promise shown in the distant anomaly charts delivers what people want?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

With that cold zonality, only places like the Derbyshire peaks and the pennines will benefit. All I get from them setups is plain old rain. 2011-12 comes to mind.

• Like 4

Posted

Taken the words out of my mouth, last few frames will be nice viewing I think on the 06z

Shows what I know lol horrid end to the run

Still a good run higher up though.Posted Image 

• Like 8

Posted

gfs6z is poor for coldies and like GEM and the ecm mean shows what can happen,Very finely balanced meto update as always,will be more revealing.

The ECM mean is no doubt skewed by a wide variation in solutions. What disappointed me this morning was that, contrary to usual patterns, the day 9 ens is less clear than yesterday's day 10 output. perhaps the obvious variability in clustered ens runs should be weighed heavily when assessing the ens mean/anomolys as I did earlier but I was hoping for some light in the darkness re the arctic ridge. Of course the 06z illustrates what happens if we get no big week 2 Alaskan ridge to bolster the arctic high it we still manage a toppler!
  • Like 1

Posted

Trend continues in low res for the segment of the PV across E Canada to lift northeast, which will help amplify the flow downstream across the Atlantic with WAA propagating upwards to create height rises to our N and NW. However, as it doesn't appear in the 8-10day H500 anomalies yet, can't really justify the trend becoming a potential wave breaker / pattern changer yet. Good to see the trend continue though, even on the GFS which has been bullish to keep the Atlantic upper flow flat throughout until recently.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted

Still a good run higher up though.Posted Image 

Posted Imagegfsnh-10-360.png

Why is it alwaysonly the last few frames of a GFS run that show a significant strat warning? I'd say it's because it is always 15 days away and never gets any closer! We have been posting day 10+ strat warmings since Christmas and we are now looking at Feb lol
  • Like 2

Posted

I am a weather enthusiast, therefore I enjoy all interesting weather. I have enjoyed the storms this past month and it intrigues me as to how wet and mild this winter could end up being.

The met office have been awesome this winter in their mid range forecasts, regardless of the small hints in the models until they start singing cold I would say it remains unlikely. For weeks there has been talk of what could happen ; reality is potentially a plus 6 cet for January and a month that could end in the very wet category across England especially.

This is not a doom and gloom post as I welcome all weather.

• Like 1

Posted

Is that a Ramp SS......... :-),

Anyone who feared winter wasn't coming, well don't worry, I presume the "polar" opposite of the latest Express headlines will now soon be upon us, no pun intended.....

I hope madden predicts next winter to be very mild, we are sure to get a long freeze if he doesPosted Image

• Like 4