Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 10th Jan Onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

ECM 240 looking loaded!!! Hopefully the latter third of winter might actually decide to deliver??? here's hoping.

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

latest Model scores for 00 oz run show ECM on top followed by UKMO while the GFS is being lapped. This for day six. For day five a tie between UKMO and ECM. http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS/html/new_acz5.html

Now there's a big differance between UKMO and ECM tonight at T144. UKmo shows a probably dry mild spell building while ECM thinks pretty the same as the GFS idea with lows sweeping in from west north west.

• Like 1

Posted

ECM 240 looking loaded!!! Hopefully the latter third of winter might actually decide to deliver??? here's hoping.

Posted Image

Put it this way, December 2010 was a very cold and snowy month followed by two winter months of mild dross and we all loved that winter, so personally I would take a cold month with snowy spells to end winter (even half as good as December 2010 would do me). Things do seem to be supporting a pattern change in around 10 days time if the ECM/GFS are to believed. Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

I really think snow will be heading to our back yards in around 10 days or less and the northeast corner of the uk could see snow at some point next week. The wheel of fortune is turning in favour of wintry potential at long last. I think it will be arctic sourced rather than russian but I truly believe that feb and march will make up for lost time in terms of ice, frost and SNOW :-)

glad to see your back to your old self frostyIt will come
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

glad to see your back to your old self frostyIt will come

Yes I wobbled but came bouncing back, there is growing model evidence that the wheel of fortune which has been so against coldies is indeed spinning towards more favourable solutions, let's face it, its all down to luck or lack of at the end of the day....winter is coming.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Put it this way, December 2010 was a very cold and snowy month followed by two winter months of mild dross and we all loved that winter, so personally I would take a cold month with snowy spells to end winter (even half as good as December 2010 would do me). Things do seem to be supporting a pattern change in around 10 days time if the ECM/GFS are to believed.

Indeed, I fondly remember last "winter", when in fact the vast majority of cold was delivered in meteorological Spring!  I'd say it only takes one really severe cold spell to satisfy most in this country, especially after lowering expectations from the early 00s winters....

It's encouraging to see the trends of yesterday remaining remarkably similar in the OP runs tonight.  Looking like a "nearly" cold shot over the next few days, before turning wetter once more as that energy spills off of the canadian PV segment.  The good thing is that final deep low drags up a ridge behind it, in conjunction with an arctic high and pacific ridge, sending this into Europe and *fingers crossed* delivering a potentially very good cold shot from the east.  Lots of hoops to jump through to get to this stage, but at least we can see the hoops are there now!

Yes I wobbled but came bouncing back, there is growing model evidence that the wheel of fortune which has been so against coldies is indeed spinning towards more favourable solutions, let's face it, its all down to luck or lack of at the end of the day....winter is coming.

The Starks are always right eventually ;)

Edited by weatherguy
  • Like 3

Posted

pretty good agreement at day 10 across the models that go into such territory.  considering what that shows - deep usa trough/ mid atlantic ridge/ huge arctic high/ jet headed into europe - we've been in worse places this winter!!  its the period between the T96 disruption and the broad day 9/10 pattern that still seems uncertain.  if those day 10 charts begin to count down, we can enjoy the flip flopping that precedes it. 

• Like 6

As I see it especially for the NW.  (GEFS TF)

Average Temps at 2 meters Analysis: Leveling off for a cooler period, a slight dip towards the end. Notice the larger wave length style indicating cooler nights

Surface Pressure & Temperatures at 850hpa Analysis: Surface pressure seems to climb thus a slight cooler period seen especially at night however a sudden dip around 25th indicates the Atlantic is brewing something up. 850's not as smooth with a dipping again indicated a slight cooler than recent theme.Precipitation Analysis: Rain never too far away at any given point until the end of January with a slight ease noted. About the 25th precipitation present indicating a wetter than average theme.

Summary: Staying with the precipitation on the 25th a slight dry day just before also provides strong evidence with the surface pressure of a Low pressure system crossing our area, this period seems unsettled with potential gales.Running up to this a mix of wet and sunny periods to be had as temperatures fall by a degree or three on some settled days. It is not seen for temperatures to be below freezing at any given day however in the strong winds later it may 'feel like' below zero. Rain is expected to remain a common feature in this period however on brighter intervals - in the sun it will feel quite present but not warm. It is likely gales or severe gales in exposed parts will affect our region with heavy rain at times on the 25th in to the 26th and possibly on into February. No frost is likely nor are we to expect any snow events on either high or low ground (Locally).So to recap, a settled(ish) period with rain at times some heavy interlaced with brighter intervals - clear nights will feel colder but no frost. The last weekend is expected to turn quite unsettled with gales and more heavy rain some blustery with wintery showers. Then a slightly calmer theme like previous with odd windy episodes.

More...

Edited by Tangerine Lion
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Unfortunately, I cannot see anything really wintry in the next ten days from the ecm and gfs. The cold block to our NorthEast as no influence over the Uk ,well other than slowing down frontal rain in the next week. more problems with flooding! So if I go by tonights models Im not convinced of anything really cold and snow only confined to the Uks highest ground. If day 10 from both ecm and gfs verify we will be looking at again a renewed surge of stormy weather...Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImageI think it will be the end of this month ,before we see some serious cold,,,Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

post-6830-0-01852600-1389990146_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-96193300-1389990177_thumb.pn

Edited by ANYWEATHER
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Trying to pick out the pearls amongst some of the rather doomy posts this evening is hard work. Yes, we may be influenced by Atlantic lows for a week or so but it seems that some posters are failing to spot the potential after Day 10, picked out by both ECM and GFS tonight.

Yes, some hurdles to clear first, but the trend towards Arctic heights spreading down to Greenland is there, we just need a few things to fall into place. The potential is there for all to see, if you're prepared to see it to start with.

What made me laugh most tonight was the lauding of the EC32 this winter. If there's one thing I've learnt over the last couple of months, it's not to trust it in the slightest (see also CFS)!

Edited by Chalk Serpent
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

http://www.solarham.net/regions/map.htm

given low solar activity, can someone please advise how long (indeed if at allPosted Image) the effects are felt in the synoptics?

Ask Piers Corbyn....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Frost, Thunder and Storms

Put it this way, December 2010 was a very cold and snowy month followed by two winter months of mild dross and we all loved that winter, so personally I would take a cold month with snowy spells to end winter (even half as good as December 2010 would do me). Things do seem to be supporting a pattern change in around 10 days time if the ECM/GFS are to believed.

If I could have 1 week or even 2-3 days of falling and lying snow this winter, I would look back on it with much fondness. Winter 1990/91 would be long forgotten were it not for that 7-10 day period in mid February which brought many places some decent falls of snow - apart from that one mid Feb cold spell - that winter was on the most part fairly naff (apart from the short lived localised snowfall in English midlands in Dec)

Looking ahead I would love to see the scandi high exert more influence next week but I fear it is a real long shot. We may have to wait until the very end of Jan or early Feb going on current output, however there is always the danger those charts will totally downgrade closer to the time. Saying that, we are in a much better position now than at anytime this winter and if charts like this come to fruition - just like in winter 1990/91, anything is possible

EWSPosted Image

• Like 1

ECM ens mean looks unsettled, stormy even around day 7 and later.

Posted Image  Posted Image

Still that piece of the PV over NE Canada at day 10 releasing deep cold into the Atlantic and helping to keep it angry

Posted Image

I think storms could be making the headlines again by next week looking at the output, the jet is looking really fired up, unless some blocking can develop and keep the wrath of the Atlantic at bay.

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 1

Posted

Unfortunately, I cannot see anything really wintry in the next ten days from the ecm and gfs. The cold block to our NorthEast as no influence over the Uk ,well other than slowing down frontal rain in the next week. more problems with flooding! So if I go by tonights models Im not convinced of anything really cold and snow only confined to the Uks highest ground. If day 10 from both ecm and gfs verify we will be looking at again a renewed surge of stormy weather...Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImageI think it will be the end of this month ,before we see some serious cold,,,Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Yes but as I have said in my post above, both ECM and GFS are showing a very plausible and I will say the most convincing evolution to a cold outlook before the month is out for the first time all season.

• Like 3

Posted

Tonight’s 12z ECM run looking very similar to some recent GFS runs especially at around the 240hr mark, it will of course change at that range, but if it comes close then it will be a big coup for the GFS in regards a pattern that could affect us, whatever the verification stats say, every dog has its day sometimes.

post-6751-0-32220700-1389991543_thumb.gi

post-6751-0-03047800-1389991559_thumb.jp