Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 10th Jan Onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

the nao goes very positive although this is refected on what the models are hinting towards beyond Wednesday.

Posted Image

the ao

huge scatter the uncertainty clearly is around mid next week  neg then positive.

Edited by emotional rollercoaster
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

We had winter is over posts as early as october, I'm still waiting for it to start! At least the models are showing potential for winter to arrive in the next few weeks, or hopefully before march.

• Like 2

Posted

Morning folks. Any news on the ECM ensembles, I actually thought the ECM showed a little potential around144 to 192 and be interested if this was backed up.Cheers.

tough to see with mean maxes sub 5c over there due to plenty of non onshore flow members. i suspect the london ones will be higher than that. the sub zero runs in de bilt are a low percentage. in the extended, the mobility certainly seems well supported although i would still see an mlb centred southern uk/nw europe (extension of azores) as a reasonable call.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

@the eagle. I do agree the ecmf and ukmo have some interest however have been here before with ecmf and ukmo since november. How many of those charts came to fruition? Apart from the ukmo and ecmf it's been another set of uninspiring set of outputs again for the 00h runs. I think gibby's summery today somes up the outputs together with the mets 16-30day forecast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Morning folks. Any news on the ECM ensembles, I actually thought the ECM showed a little potential around144 to 192 and be interested if this was backed up.Cheers.

I mentioned the Mean Charts in my report above. As it stands there is nothing to report for anyone looking for cold today. The Azores High is predicted to strengthen in a week or so time with the Jet flow steered on it's course over the Atlantic and up to the North meaning one thing for the UK..mild West winds. Of course this is based on the 00z output and not my own thoughts and could all change in the coming days..who knows.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reem2161.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reem2401.gif

• Like 6

Posted

I mentioned the Mean Charts in my report above. As it stands there is nothing to report for anyone looking for cold today. The Azores High is predicted to strengthen in a week or so time with the Jet flow steered on it's course over the Atlantic and up to the North meaning one thing for the UK..mild West winds. Of course this is based on the 00z output and not my own thoughts and could all change in the coming days..who knows. http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reem2161.gif http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reem2401.gif

Thank you taking the time to reply.

tough to see with mean maxes sub 5c over there due to plenty of non onshore flow members. i suspect the london ones will be higher than that. the sub zero runs in de bilt are a low percentage. in the extended, the mobility certainly seems well supported although i would still see an mlb centred southern uk/nw europe (extension of azores) as a reasonable call.

Thank you.

Posted

Until we hear of positives for cold from professionals I think the reality is that there is no cold/snow coming in the following 10 days at least, maybe longer.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

What is the main killer, is that blooming azores high. That is what is preventing this cold shot from happening. Need to get shot of it IMO if we want some sustained cold activity. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Latest 8 day temperature anomaly shows a lot of northern eastern Europe cooling down, for the UK though its a mixed bag with temps slightly above normal for the south, south east, wales and some western coasts else where its average or slightly below average

Posted Image

Normal temps left expected temps right

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Until we hear of positives for cold from professionals I think the reality is that there is no cold/snow coming in the following 10 days at least, maybe longer.

Well it's always good to look for ourselves, I for one I'm learning loads. But yep your point is valid too unless we get something positive from the pros my hamlets will stay in the box.. I think it was MOGREPS that was the only model not buying into the cold next week, and although we have no access my take is that we can drawn our own conclusions on what this is showing by reading the metoffice 6 -> 15 day updates which are published just after midday each day. Edited by TSNWK

Posted

We had winter is over posts as early as october, I'm still waiting for it to start! At least the models are showing potential for winter to arrive in the next few weeks, or hopefully before march.

Frosty that was a brief post.....dont you lose hope too.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

Not great at reading the models and nothing scientific or meteorological here but,I really feel this is a classic case of all models dropping the idea of cold to pick it up again 3 or 4 days later.The only factor I can use with this statement is experience of reading and learning all the dramas unfold over the years on here and fantastic posts from far more experienced posters.It's already starting to look a bit better for coldies this morning so let's see what today brings.As I say just my opinionBut if I'm wrong then no real problem there's always feb

My thoughts exactly. Katie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Looking like a 120 battleground, come on nudge further west.

Posted Image

Edit:

Which could be interesting:

Posted Image

Edited by StuieW
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

ECM pretty similar to yesterday's 12z really, the Scandi/Euro High just there as a buffer and no cold air advecting west, could be more rain on the way in a few days time. Generally poor output.

• Like 2

Posted

ECM pretty similar to yesterday's 12z really, the Scandi/Euro High just there as a buffer and no cold air advecting west, could be more rain on the way in a few days time. Generally poor output.

Disagree. This mornings trended in the right direction, scandi high was further west around 144 to 192 and there was more energy heading south southeast. If that trend was maintained this evening we might, just might have something to discuss for later next week. Edited by TSNWK

Posted

The ECM mean continues to move away from a cold solution. Next Wednesday as modelled two days ago:

Posted Image

Next Wednesday as modeled yesterday

Posted Image

Next Wednesday as modeled this morning

Posted Image

So although the mean got the overall pattern right, it got the low to our west completely wrong. Seems to me it was a day behind the op charts, if you take GFS/UKMO/ECM ops as a blend. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Have to agree with you, since mid week the models have been backing down each day, with the odd little movement back only to be reversed in the very next run. IMO the trend since mid week has been to move away from the prospect of deep cold in the close range, which was modeled to be as early as Monday if I recall correctly. So probably needing some more patience and hopefully another stab towards the end of the month. Winter is by no means over, we still have the best part of 3 months to run going by last year. 

But I really can't see the models swinging back to cold now, as much as it pains me to say it!

either way, it has been fantastic viewing, we have really endured a tough winter so far in here, at least we have some interest.

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

ECM t144 is probably the chart of the winter so far which sums the winter up really.

The 06z GFS run is very different to the Euro runs as early as t60 so hard to say

what fantasy trip its taking us on.

A rejuvenated scandi high! From the GFS.

Posted Image

Edited by StuieW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Scandi high looking more organised at 126.  How long will it hold though? (and a bit of NW/SE tilt would be nice)

Posted Image

Edited by Ice Day

Posted

Scandi high looking more organised at 126.  How long will it hold though?

Posted Image

Its a much better orientation than the earlier 00hrs run, still probably a stalemate but at least the high looks in  better shape.

• Like 1