Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 10th Jan Onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Sorry but saying it again .

If Greenland heights don't exist ,it's very difficult to bring cold eastwards .

Shortwaves appear closer to the time and those are hurdles models don't detect to nearer off the time .

Next week not just going be not as cold here ,central Europe also missing a eastward push .

This chart brought my location(look at distance asl) 5-10cm of snow, I see no +ve heights over Greenland?

Posted Image

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Would it be facetious to point out that the 2 incoming lows are - literally - pear-shaped?

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I think that you are being unnecessarily critical, cc, or have unrealistic expectations of strat FI charts.

In fact Tim, there has been a warming of the stratosphere around now - yes, not as severe as the charts initially forecast - but perhaps more in line with others pre winter expectations for around this time. And without this stratospheric warming that has resulted in the split in the PV, we would still be talking about the next bout of severe storms hitting the west coast. Instead, we now see the first signs of a Scandinavian high influencing our weather pattern. We may not see the easterly that was initially programmed, but we have seen a big change in the pattern in our sector that will assist for the rest of winter. It appeared earlier this week that we has rolled a 6 at the first throw, but now (in line with earlier expectations ) that that is not the case. But, as Tamara has pointed out earlier today, we still will probably have more throws of that dice that will possibly drag that Siberian high further westwards as winter progresses. Hopefully.

Added below is current 10 hPa chart showing minor strat warming from wave 2 forecast that has induced split.

Posted Image viewimage.png

Interesting chio....

I do like the 'rolling of the dice' analogy because it puts it into perspective for me. Whilst Strat warmings look to be beneficial in increasing the likelihood of bringing cold conditions to the UK...to me it is almost a thing of pot luck whether we actually get it or not. We are after all a small blob in the whole of the N hemisphere and nothing is guaranteed, with small changes often meaning larger differences in outcomes for the UK - As I am sure all of us here know by now!

It is encouraging to see warming still forecast in the models, as I feel it means there is still opportunity down the line for this remaining winter. I am sure it is also fascinating for those (including yourself) to research the effects of stratospheric influences on weather patterns for us and other parts of the Northern Hemisphere.

Posted

think its important to point to the change in the ecm ens over the last 24 hrs. Yesterdays 12z mean indicated below average conditions at the 5000ft level across much of Europe... Today, the model shows something of a flip, we see a weak positive anomaly for western and eastern Europe!

Posted ImagePosted Image

6-10 day temp anomaly ecm ens (12z today, & 12z ystday)

Moving frwd, the outlook from naefs continues to signal a westerly flow, with the 10-15 day heights conducive for this setup. The temp anomaly keeps the UK around average for this period. A pretty bleak setup for end of january, and of course this will change... But we must accept a return to a more mobile period has been the favored medium term route for days now from the ens, with troughing to our nw & n, a consistent feature from naefs, gefs and the update from ecm monthly into this time period.

Posted Image

11-15 day heights naefs 12z

Edited by draztik
  • Like 4

Posted

Draztik makes the salient point. At the outset, this easterly was predicated on heights dropping to our south and remaining low. That's twice that the ECM ens have got this wrong but to be fair to the model, is time the gefs and gem ens were in complete agreement. Although a different situation to the failed dec '12 easterly, the surprise is almost the same. I recall that being blamed on something solar by Stewart.. Any takers this time?? It just seems that the inability to get euro heights to drop in a sustained fashion is the key here. Oh, and the Norwegian shortwave doesn't help but that always seems to happen nowadays.

Posted

De Bilt ECM ensembles continue to show a reduction in the number of colder solutions.  However, a few of them (maybe 10-15%) still remain at days 6-10.

http://www.knmi.nl/exp/pluim/vijftiendaagse/index.php?run=12

Edited by mulzy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Draztik makes the salient point. At the outset, this easterly was predicated on heights dropping to our south and remaining low. That's twice that the ECM ens have got this wrong but to be fair to the model, is time the gefs and gem ens were in complete agreement. Although a different situation to the failed dec '12 easterly, the surprise is almost the same. I recall that being blamed on something solar by Stewart.. Any takers this time?? It just seems that the inability to get euro heights to drop in a sustained fashion is the key here. Oh, and the Norwegian shortwave doesn't help but that always seems to happen nowadays.

Solar activity has ramped with the solar flux well over 200 the past few days. Saying that, it's hard to imagine what if any impact it's had on this failed Easterly (assuming it has failed, of course).
  • Like 2

Posted

The ensemble mean has changed quite a bit a might be expected (especially for the 850s). However the debilt ensembles still showing some cold runs so still some possibilities although the METO 10% is probably about right.

post-9179-0-50357100-1389389226_thumb.pn

The mean at 240 still shows to my untrained eye a split jet to the WEST of the Uk  - perhaps someone more expert could clarify. It also shows the PV moving menacingly towards Greenland

post-9179-0-41291500-1389389296_thumb.gi

Edited by swilliam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

GFS 12z ensembles have virtually scrapped any cold now maybe a day or 2 at best of something slightly below average

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The continued positive signal from the ensembles is lower rainfall totals which should enable flood hit parts to start and dry up

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

If it's any consolation, the 18z is looking slightly better than the 12z. Energy digging further SE, slightly higher heights over Scandinavia & slightly more ridging in the Atlantic Posted Image

Edited by PerfectStorm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

This run looking better to set a trend for a Svalbard/Greeny high so far. We also see more of a pressure drop over the Med. We need to get a deep San Siro low! to advect cold air, and allow for height builds over Scandi too. This run is also good in respect to not allowing those Northern heights to phase with them over S Europe, and as a result they stay put instead of being dragged down. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

this is much better,

Posted Image

shame it's not the 12z, but I'll take it! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Slightly lower pressure over Italy, come on 18z, show us why you're the pub run!! Posted Image

EDIT: Am I on my own, narrating the model run lol?

Everyone is hiding behind the sofa with no access to the keyboard lol!

as for the 18z i do notice at bit more forcing from the scandi hp (tip of norway)@108hrs

18zpost-16960-0-80133900-1389391881_thumb.p 12zpost-16960-0-06395600-1389391911_thumb.p

whether this is a good thing who knows(still learning)Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Higher pressure to the NE on this run

Posted Image

Posted Image

But even if 18z shows a decent pub run who is going to believe it?

Seriously! Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Yes its a much better 18z compared to the 12z, images below really show why!

post-17320-0-77919100-1389392342_thumb.p

post-17320-0-57211300-1389392353_thumb.p

• Like 3

Posted

Look at the differences @144hrs

18zpost-16960-0-84497200-1389392346_thumb.p 12zpost-16960-0-92531600-1389392373_thumb.p

this is a lot lot better,the football has gone through the window and has come out looking flatPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

The 18z is still sinking the high however, question is will it actually verify like this?

Posted Image

Posted

Well thats predictable, after all hope is gone and the sailors were lost at sea the GFS throws us a rope... Unbelieveable really, its not perfect but within 144hrs a few minute changes could really help us, even if we don't get what we long for at the first bite, we do not want a reset of this pattern again, if youre a coldie that is. Key differencs on this run looks like the drop of pressure in the med, as (Steve? I think) said earlier, without the some energy there we have no real way of moving the low pressure into a position were it can undercut.

• Like 1

Posted

i thought we'd established that the differences in input data between runs is negligible, therefore the "pub run" thing is a myth.

never mind, i find the school run has much less childish behaviour.....

• Like 5

Posted

i thought we'd established that the differences in input data between runs is negligible, therefore the "pub run" thing is a myth.

never mind, i find the school run has much less childish behaviour.....

Superb!!!

Anyway, this is just like one of the ensembles, (Can't for the life of me remember which one!) and it ended with a strong Scandi HP, and it regressed to a Greenie HP…. 

If only! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Not a bad chart at 180, perhaps this is the run that stops the rot?  Upgrades for the next two days then bingo!

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I know it's @186 but there is more hight's to our north,i see this low in the north atlantic diving se,we shall see.

• Like 1