Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Davis VP2 FARS batteries?

Posted

I am wondering if anyone has experience replacing these.

It's been about 2 years since I got a 24 hours FARS ISS (replacement of my previous ISS and opted for FARS as I found a good deal (for the UK)), which is getting towards the time batteries may need replacing, and I have noticed the fan runs far less of the time in winter this year (it didn't run all the time in dull spells last winter either, which I know is normal in the UK).

Looking around the internet I struggled to find the batteries it takes (1.2v NiCad C Cells) and it has come to my attention it is now illegal to sell these in the UK/EU..

Does anyone know where I can get some, or more likely suitable substitute batteries? I have looked around forums but can't find much on this. Would NiMH batteries or another type work? also would I be able to use a higher capacity battery than the 2300mAh ones supplied with the station to give a longer run time (e.g 3000mAh or 5000mAh) or would this have other less desirable effects on operation?

I'm not sure if many will be able to answer all my questions but have struggled to find the info elsewhere, also I seem to have forgotten most of my battery knowledge from school..

Thanks in advance Posted Image

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Did you try Amazon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INFAPOWER-SIZE-C-2600mAh-RECHARGEABLE-BATTERIES-1-2V-/140460632814?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item20b41b2aee

I would stick to something around the same mah, the standard one would last 18 months without any daylight to use the solar capacitor.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

I decided to do away with the batteries altogether to avoid the inevitable spells in winter when there wasnt sufficient sunlight to charge the batteries. If you're any good with a soldering iron then a good 3v DC adaptor can allow you to power the fan 24/7 without worrying about sunlight levels. This is the one I used:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-6w-switched-mode-acdc-fixed-voltage-3v-power-supply-mg76h

All you have to do is solder the required length of cabling to the DC adaptor cable on one end and a standard 2 pin male PC Fan connector on the other. One end is protected inside the ISS from moisture/rainfall etc and the other indoors near to the plug.

The fan in the Davis is rated at 1-3 volts and with this adaptor and around 8 meters of cable it gives 2.6v on the multimeter which is a good deal of airflow and improves the response time of the ISS greatly.

Edited by reef

Posted

Thanks for the replies 

The only suggestions I had found before were that NiCd were best rather than NiMH for the fan, but found a couple other threads with people (including one to Davis) saying NiMH were ok or they had used them and they worked fine, so think I'm gunna go with them now, although I probably won't get them changed before going back to uni tomorrow.

I have thought about using external power for the fan though due to location (and perhaps in part I have no soldering experience), it isn't really a practical solution for me unfortunately. Would be nice though and thanks for the suggestion, It may just work from the garage if I was really determined in the future.