Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Winter Regional Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Andy, looked at the fax chart myself earlier. Do you reckon Friday will be as bad for us?  what time do you reckon it would hit, mate.

woody

I`m not andy but Friday`s main concern will be of rain not wind this time there be gales in places but not storm force winds like today,this low is much further south to start.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack1.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack2.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Widespread damage here today, winds peaked late afternoon, low 90's mph, a covering of hail here now too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Can still hear the odd gust of wind, however they have been dying down throughout the evening as forecast. A few roads around Llanelli were closed for a time due to fallen trees, some schools in Carmarthenshire closed early too, amazingly the power in my house has stayed on! Normally only takes drizzle and a light breeze for our lights to go out!! 

Actually looking forward to a more boring spell of weather, whenever that may be.. Hearing that Friday could be another lively one though, due to rain rather than wind though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Thunder hail here. What a crazy winter.

May not have had the snow I wanted but it's been interesting. It will certainly stick in the memory.

Some day soon hopefully we will see a weather report without a deep low smashing in from the Atlantic

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Seen the lightning about 20mins ago, couple of flashes, followed by light hail. I want more showers, with DP around 0.5C, it could be the best night for something more wintry! Posted Image

And heres some mammatus clouds from earlier! 

post-17320-0-24138700-1392245149_thumb.j

• Like 2

Seen the lightning about 20mins ago, couple of flashes, followed by light hail. I want more showers, with DP around 0.5C, it could be the best night for something more wintry! Posted Image

Saw some mammatus too as the front cleared earlier.

• Like 1

Posted

Saw some mammatus too as the front cleared earlier.

Interesting. Did you manage to get a picture of that Bobby?

Nice any more photos? :)

Posted

Interesting. Did you manage to get a picture of that Bobby?

Nice any more photos? Posted Image

No sorry :(

Posted

Do u think those clumps of showers will hit south wales later loads of red in them wind picked up a gain

They will but we will have to see what intensity they come with! 

Posted

They will but we will have to see what intensity they come with!

Well there's a fair few showers out west peeps, and the last two showers here have been of pea sized hail, no rain, good covering here too, forecast for tomorrow is showers some of these wintry so more showers to come and looking at www.sat24.com a lot more showers to the southwest of Ireland some of these are reporting lightning too, the damaging winds have finally eased slightly but certainly this very interesting spell of weather very much continues
  • Like 2

Posted

Well there's a fair few showers out west peeps, and the last two showers here have been of pea sized hail, no rain, good covering here too, forecast for tomorrow is showers some of these wintry so more showers to come and looking at www.sat24.com a lot more showers to the southwest of Ireland some of these are reporting lightning too, the damaging winds have finally eased slightly but certainly this very interesting spell of weather very much continues

Yes v.interesting weather nonetheless! All this is moving west, intense stuff, if it maintained it the hail would be large!

post-17320-0-92806000-1392247986_thumb.p

Posted

So its arrived here, with lots of hail! I guess its the closest thing to snow! 

Posted

Heavy snow here in Cardiff! Then went back to hail and snow! 

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

I thought I seen snow in with the hail, I thought my eyes were playing tricks with me.

Heavy hail here, street turned completely white within a minute or two.

Winds are gusting strong again too.

Why does the radar never show the orange colour for hail? I've seen it show snow, rain, sleet and freezing rain, but never hail.

• Like 1

Posted

I thought I seen snow in with the hail, I thought my eyes were playing tricks with me.Heavy hail here, street turned completely white within a minute or two.Winds are gusting strong again too.Why does the radar never show the orange colour for hail? I've seen it show snow, rain, sleet and freezing rain, but never hail.

Same here in Barry, street has turned white with gusting wind.

Posted

Yes wind hasnt really died down here! What a lively night! Have any of you seen the latest EURO4!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

DP just dropped below zero! Currently at -0.5C

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 1

Posted

Not very often you see a pink splodge over Cardiff and very little elsewhere over Wales. Looks like a radar and lamp post watching kind of night. Come on weather, just give us a sprinkle. :)

• Like 1

I thought I seen snow in with the hail, I thought my eyes were playing tricks with me.Heavy hail here, street turned completely white within a minute or two.Winds are gusting strong again too.Why does the radar never show the orange colour for hail? I've seen it show snow, rain, sleet and freezing rain, but never hail.

Those charts are not actual precipitation types, but are predicted precipitation types based on models (NMM I think) at that time.

So while they may be correct, often they are wrong especially in marginal situations.

• Like 2

Posted

Thanks J10. I suppose hail showers often have a short, sharp blast during a period of rain too. Maybe because they're usually so brief it's more difficult to predict.