Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Winter Regional Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

TonyH,  our valley (well the bit we are in) is pretty much a South/North direction so we will get something. 

Andy Music - thanks for that. 

I think thing is it looks , well, lovely is not the right word, but calm after this morning's dross and have just seen elderly neighbour put her sheets out - fine drying weather now. My gut instinct is to rush to the spar and buy all the flour and sugar and I don't use either! and then root out candles as strong winds equal power cuts. Don't Panic Captain Mannering Syndrome kicking in.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe disruptive snow or any other severe weather!

Im at mumbles head lol quite scary.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Winds are really getting going now, the roof sounds like its going to take off at times!

Posted

winds have picked up here again now seem to be getting worse every 15 mins, what time are the winds going to leave? well at least calm right down. I read about 9 tonight is that correct guys.

110 mph in Ireland that's just mad speed.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Yeah dying through the late evening

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Winds must be gusting into the 70s at times now, getting very rough out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

Winds are sounding vicious here in Cardiff. My local weather station is showing gusts of up to 72mph and it's really roaring out there.

My garden looks like a bomb site. Chimney top blown off, greenhouse in pieces, pots, chairs, bins etc strewn. Neighbour's fences down. Reports that someone in the college has been hurt by a falling fence. Worst winds I can remember I think

The strongest swathe of winds moving into W Wales looking at the satellite images, going to get worse it would seem, winds eventually transferring NW. Looks a very potent wind field

• Like 1

Posted

Extreme wind conditions in S. Pembs. Sent home from school after trees down on site, windows cracking and whole roof structures flapping in the wind!

Going out to look at the sea now- 37ft swell south of Ireland heading this way could beat the record of 31ft on the Pembroke Bouy later this evening...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html#All~Lundy

Hurricane force winds in the Bristol Channel- serious s**t.

Posted

Someone's posted a photo on facebook of a plane flipping over in Ireland. I haven't seen anything on the news sites yet, so don't know if it's true.

This is definitely the longest spell of prolonged stormy weather I can remember. Normally a storm would sail by, create some damage and go again. This winter there just seems to be a constant stream of them lined up to take a pop at the UK.

Edited by Clair_Witch

Posted

We have had trees down in Aberystwyth now, windows on the arts centre have smashed from the wind! I've been watching as bits of roofing material and small branches and plants have blown down the street whilst then seeing some slates on our roof start to crack and break off! Not what I want to be seeing!!

Edited by DeepSnow

Posted

Someone's posted a photo on facebook of a plane flipping over in Ireland. I haven't seen anything on the news sights yet, so don't know if it's true.

This is definitely the longest spell of prolonged stormy weather I can remember. Normally a storm would sail by, create some damage and go again. This winter there just seems to be a constant stream of them lined up to take a pop at the UK.

pretty much the result of the deep cold/snow/blizzards been on going in the eastern USA - then higher sea temps in the atlantic - the seas reacting with the colder air spawning these vicious lows - we have just been locked in this pattern with what seems like forever - hints in the latest models that things may calm soon with a possible colder easterly period too

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Just seen them Aber trees and damage on twitter, a bad storm this for West Wales, still getting 60mph gusts here, things blowing around outside.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

pretty much the result of the deep cold/snow/blizzards been on going in the eastern USA - then higher sea temps in the atlantic - the seas reacting with the colder air spawning these vicious lows - we have just been locked in this pattern with what seems like forever - hints in the latest models that things may calm soon with a possible colder easterly period too

well its time these atlantic lows went south away from us ha ha had enough of them now bring on summer sorry bring on a nice summer lol

Posted

Is this when the west wales coast is expected to see the worst of the winds or has that passed/still to come?

Posted

Is this when the west wales coast is expected to see the worst of the winds or has that passed/still to come?

one update from the meto

Amber Warning of Wind for Wales : Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Isle of Anglesey, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Neath Port Talbot, Newport, Pembrokeshire, Powys, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Swansea, Torfaen, Vale of Glamorgan & Wrexham valid from 1520 Wed 12 Feb to 2350 Wed 12 Feb

100mph winds are still evident in Ireland - so I don't think we're quite there yet!

aberdaron kicking it at 106mph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mumbles not far off 100mph now at 96mph - hope Gavla is okie dokie!
Edited by andymusic

Posted

hi to all you folks over in Wales, hoping you all stay safe, things not to bad over here in lincolnshire compared to what you are experiencing, fingers crossed this storm ends soon for you all

Posted

Aberdaron 1500 Mean wind 81mph gust 106mph:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/wl_latest_weather.html

Any one driving must be mad if they dont have too!

• Like 1

Posted

I've just lost a large conifer - thankfully the thinner branches only skimmed the bungalow and the only damage was a bent plastic gutter (now straightened). It did though completely block my drive so I've just had a tree surgeon here to cut it up (I don't have a chainsaw and doing it manually would have taken forever as the trunk was about 10 inches across).

An expensive pain and hassle.

Posted

106 mph? Oh my word, it's crazy weather.

I hope people stay safe and stay indoors unless it's absolutely necessary.

Posted

So hurricane force has hit land 81mph in wales south of aber,severe gale force made inland just and storm force also exposed mumbles capel carig and probably many other exposed hills/mountains west.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Wind picking up here.  Power still on, but flickering.  candles to the ready!!!  Husband has gone out to visit a client, because he can't get hold of her by phone to cancel the meeting...................  Hope he is ok. 

Posted

The  roof just been blown off the disability scooter center the guy told me all the tiles just took off!smashed a few cars debris scattered a good 100 yrds .

Edited by keithlucky