Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Winter Regional Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Yellow Alert of Wind for Wales : Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Neath Port Talbot, Newport, Pembrokeshire, Powys, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Swansea, Torfaen & Vale of Glamorgan valid from 1500 Tue 04 Feb to 2345 Tue 04 Feb

seems we have a half an hour break for half time - then it starts again??????????????????????Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Yellow Warning of Wind for Wales : Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Neath Port Talbot, Newport, Pembrokeshire, Powys, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Swansea, Torfaen & Vale of Glamorgan valid from 0015 Wed 05 Feb to 2300 Wed 05 Feb

this one could be quite nasty - with up to 80mph gusts in places! - low can quite clearly be seen winding itself up on sat24 - http://www.sat24.com/en/eu  - this one is coming straight at us with (I think) the worst of the wind tomorrow!

COME TO WALES GET BLOWN AWAY BY THE WEATHER!
Edited by andymusic

Posted

there is a slight cold slot in between todays front and tomorrows bomb of a low coming in - could produce one or two wintry showers!

We had a covering of snow this morning stuck on hail around 6am this morning a nice white surprise this morning, one sad little patch left in the shade now.

Posted

normally around about this time of year - if you look at the radar - that push of rain coming up from the south west would be pushing into some lovely easterly cold air and we'd be looking forward to a snowfest - we can dream eh!

• Like 1

Posted

Wintry showers for Sunday in Wales Posted Image

In fact gfs 12z looking potentially fairly wintry for quite a bit of next week - let's hope this continues

colder trends out in FI land too - maybe a late sting in the tail of winter could well be on! - one to watch

windspeeds down in the south west already approaching 80mph

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

We had a covering of snow this morning stuck on hail around 6am this morning a nice white surprise this morning, one sad little patch left in the shade now.

The same thing happened here, a heavy hail shower turned to snow to give a full covering. Made travelling up our hill this morning very tricky indeed.

Thaw set in quite quickly and roads mostly clear by 9am, but some paths were very slippery indeed.

Wintry showers for Sunday in Wales Posted Image

New tactic, lets ignore like this morning and it might give some surprise snow.

By the way very windy up her at the moment, must be 50mph+gusts. 

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted

LOL JI any idea if I can find out if we have broken any records for days recorded over 50mph winds speeds ,another night we could see wind speeds exceeding 70 mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

At Mumbles weather station, there have been 27 days with winds over 50mph since the start of December, of course this is a rather unique weather station.

Not surprised with that really and talking of wind the fence has just come down in the garden now!

In addition to the 27 days of over 50mph gusts this winter. there were an additional 14 days of gusts over 40mph, so a total of 41.

Of those 40 have been since the mid point of December, so 40 of the past 54 days have had winds over 40mph and 26 of those have had winds over 50mph.

Source http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03609&ano=2014&mes=1&day=10&hora=24&min=0&ndays=50

The dates can be changed as required.

Note Km/h above.

Edited by J10
  • Like 2

It's really wild out there, feels like a proper storm this. Relentless big gusts buffeting the house, heavy driving rain lashing against the windows. I imagine there'll be some damage about in the morning. About as stormy as I can remember it being this winter.

Posted

Strangely quiet here. I hope I haven't spoke to soon. It maybe the SSE direction (showing on local weather station) helping to shelter me a bit.

Its been a whole lot worse a number of times this winter resulting in roof damage so I hope it stays this way.

Just looking at the latest radar. Has it stalled a little further west than original forecast?

Edited by Cwmbran Eira

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Wind not so bad here mean speed below 20mph, max gust 41mph, quite a bit of rain 9mm this evening

Posted

Wind howling here for the last couple of hours - should be used to it by now though I guess!

Different direction tonight from the SE making it more unusually powerful.

Posted

Different direction tonight from the SE making it more unusually powerful.

We're usually more exposed to SW'lies here, although that is in terms of rain. Our chimney cowling came off in the winds of New Years day. The difference in direction could be why I can hear it howling from the front room tonight though!

Posted

Just saw two flashes of bright but distant lightning, which upon checking the radar came from the tip of Pembrokeshire almost 40 miles away!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

I'm scared to ask guys and girls but is there any cold on the horizon?

According to the model thread a simple answer would b no!! More of the same

Posted

winter 14/15 is only 10 months awayPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Amber Warning of Wind for Wales : Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire, Swansea, Vale of Glamorgan, Bridgend, Neath Port Talbot, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Caerphilly & Cardiff valid from 0700 Wed 05 Feb to 1900 Wed 05 Feb

considering it's an amber warning today - seems less "stormy" than last night which was only a yellow - we shall see
Edited by andymusic

Posted

looks like some colder weather could be on the charts as from about the 10th feb for a few days - won't be anything major though - chance of some frosts aswell

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by andymusic